Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting - holding the yarn????

(33 Posts)
Welshwife Tue 15-Dec-20 09:28:30

I do it the way Tanith describes. I find that my knitting is much more even when I do an amount in one go - I never stop knitting in the middle of a row.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Dec-20 08:44:36

I’m ok with holding the yarn, but not a very even knitter.

I have an Aunt who knitting is so even it looks almost like a machine has produced it. Very impressive.

JackyB Tue 15-Dec-20 07:59:06

I thought I was the only one who did this and was ashamed of it because I thought it was the child's way of knitting and I had never got out of the habit. I would never knit in public, because of my embarrassment about that.

It is true that different countries knit differently. A friend of mine was knitting in a doctor's waiting room here in Germany and someone told her she was "doing it wrong!". And in France they do it differently again.

I can follow knitting and crochet patterns in French and German but I am such an uneven knitter I have stopped trying all together.

I might try and learn the flicking method from YouTube to see if it makes for a more even result.

tanith Tue 15-Dec-20 07:49:08

I’ve always wound the wool round 3 fingers on my right hand so as the right hand needle goes through the next stitch I only need to stretch the fingers forward to hook the wool round the tip and pull it through. I don’t know what method it is but it just evolved when I learnt from my Mum.

CanadianGran Tue 15-Dec-20 03:41:57

Just go to youtube and look up knitting methods. There are plenty of video's.

I do the same as you, and never could get the hang of flicking the yarn over.

Doodledog Tue 15-Dec-20 01:15:41

‘Throwing the yarn’ is sometimes called the English style of knitting. The Continental style is used in Europe and I used to know someone from Shetland who knitted differently again.

I am told that the Continental method is the most efficient, and I have tried it, but as I have been knitting for so long in the English way it is firmly rooted in my muscle memory and I couldn’t master another way of doing it.

I agree with Mogsmaw that the best way to knit is the way that comes most naturally to you, which is likely to be the way you were taught.

Mogsmaw Tue 15-Dec-20 00:16:46

I can’t recommend a particular video but if you look for “continental” style, it’s how I knit with the wool in my left hand and you don’t have to let go the needles but sort of pluck the yarn. I think it’s more like crochet. But when I tried crochet a lovely lady said I was “going the wrong way”.
I think the key is to do what is comfortable for you and has the flow you want.
Good luck, try coming over to revelry, there is lots of help there.

Rosiebee Mon 14-Dec-20 23:58:47

I'm not an absolute beginner. First thing I ever made was an Aran sweater but there is no flow to my movements. I always take my hand off the needle to put the yarn over. I found it so laborious that after two jumpers I gave up and reverted to my first love of crochet. I read in a thread on here that a lady commented that you just "flick the yarn over". Well I have sat tonight with wool and needles doing a contortionist impression of flicking my wool.
During lockdown I made quite complicated crochet blankets and scarves but I would love to knit something to wear. Can anyone recommend a video that shows the way to knit without dropping the needle every stitch? My tension with crochet is spot on but I just feel so clumsy with a pair of needles.
Thanks.