Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Are some knitting kits a sort of rip off?

(14 Posts)
25Avalon Tue 15-Dec-20 12:25:41

There was nothing on the telly so I switched to the Hochanda crafts channel and got ‘hooked’ on their knitting kits - I was fascinated to see what was on offer. All seemed to be designed to lure the non or new knitter in by making it appear very simple. The projects kits were shawls, scarves, and head band kind of thing that are easy knits IF you can already knit. The kits comprise the wool and pattern (idk if needles were included but probably not) all at a very high price. I am sure some people buying are going to give up and be very disillusioned.

I download free patterns and buy reduced wools on the Women’s Weekly website for a fraction of the cost. I can understand more complex kits such as intarsia blankets but even they are not as expensive as I saw last night.

Doodledog Tue 15-Dec-20 12:52:22

I think that kits can be a rip-off for people who know what to buy and where to get it. I would be reluctant to buy them, except for patterns that require numerous balls of different coloured yarn that will only use a small amount of each, and cost a fortune to buy a whole ball in each colour. Even then, because you are only getting the quantity of yarn specified in the pattern there is no scope to add length, or otherwise alter the pattern to your taste.

The ones you describe are usually aimed at beginners, and use chunky yarn and large needles, and cost a lot for what they are. I've seen very basic baby cardigans for £70, which seems insane for a chunky but tiny garment that will only fit for a few weeks and you have to knit yourself!

I suppose they make good presents for someone who wants to start knitting and has no needles or yarn 'in stock', but otherwise they represent a large outlay for someone who doesn't know if they are going to enjoy knitting.

Hithere Tue 15-Dec-20 13:03:49

I think it is a good idea for beginners, to get familiarized with the hobby

In the US, they also sell very visually appealing monthly subscription boxes . Tempting but expensive

Chewbacca Tue 15-Dec-20 13:16:03

I think most crafting kits are aimed primarily at beginners; everything included in the box and printed instructions provided. They're pretty foolproof really and can be a good introduction to a craft you haven't tried, but would like to give it a go. I was interested in needle felting and so bought a kit from a well known supermarket that has a central aisle of all sorts of stuff. The kit was actually very good value for money. But I was rubbish at it and so haven't pursued it!

Callistemon Tue 15-Dec-20 13:23:14

I'm sure some may be but if you buy from a reputable site I think they're very good.
I just made a rainbow blanket and bought far too much yarn because I already had one or two of the colours - had I bought the one kit and pattern I wouldn't have so much left over.
There is enough for another blanket
If I ever want to make one.

Callistemon Tue 15-Dec-20 13:28:16

I just had a look at the site, 25Avalon

Good grief! I see what you mean - £24.99 for 3 small balls of chunky yarn and some instructions to make a snood.
It's acrylic too - not even wool!

There are lots of yarn firms with much better offers.

Doodledog Tue 15-Dec-20 14:07:36

This is the sort of baby thing I mentioned

£35 for a garter stitch baby bonnet. It's one 50g ball of yarn and a set of needles, which can be bought in charity shops. The yarn is good quality, and will be soft for the baby, but £35?

You could easily make that for significantly less, if you bought the wool and needles separately and downloaded a pattern, but you'd need to know where to start and what to buy. I do think that they are taking advantage of ignorance, but if someone has no idea and nobody to ask, maybe they are a good place to start.

25Avalon Tue 15-Dec-20 14:17:46

Quite so Callistemon. On the TV channel they were selling out very quickly too or so they said.

Callistemon Tue 15-Dec-20 14:20:41

I think I need to start a business, could get rid of all my yarn stash tchgrin

biba70 Tue 15-Dec-20 14:25:52

Not just knitting, but embroidery kits, quilting kits- etc. But no-one has to buy 'kits'- so no, not a rip-off as such, you pay for a service, ideas, choice of materials, etc.

Callistemon Tue 15-Dec-20 14:29:56

There are so many instructions on YouTube and sites like Ravelry are fill of helpful advice.

Ilovecheese Tue 15-Dec-20 15:26:37

Many people find choosing colours for quilts difficult. A kit removes that problem, particularly now, when it is not always possible to go to a fabric shop and take time to co ordinate colours. The shops are often quite small and the decisions can take some time. A kit means the sewer can plunge right in.

Nannina Sun 20-Dec-20 16:52:20

As I knit mainly for charity I find kits far to expensive. I’ve collected a lot of patterns over the years and download free ones for a change. I buy wool in sales, charity shops and budget supermarkets and find Poundland good value and nice to knit with

Callistemon Sun 20-Dec-20 19:24:06

I found the Pato yarns in our local £1 shop, Nannina, yes, they are acrylic but good for toys and charity projects and lovely to knit with.
They were £1.29! not £1.