Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

So much (cheap) yarn to use up!

(50 Posts)
Witzend Tue 26-Jan-21 09:57:55

Goodness knows how many colours, I have several bags stuffed with it. Cheap because nearly all of it was used to make toys or Christmassy things.
I’m not going to make any more toys - dd’s house is overflowing already.

And I already made a stashbuster blanket for Gdcs, only it didn’t make much of an impression on my stash.

I dare say I’m off my rocker but I do want to be knitting something again, so thinking of making more C-word things already, which could either go eventually to Gdcs’ school fair (again, though it was an online thing last time) or I could give them to charity shops - assuming they’ll be open again by say November ?.

Only of course, this is bound to result in there not being ‘quite’ enough for this or that (what if it runs out 5 rows before the end??) so already I’ve ordered just a ‘little’ bit more....

GagaJo Tue 26-Jan-21 16:22:29

They are. I have knitted him a scarf but can't manage patterns.

It is OK at the moment. I stopped the compulsive knitting, for hours a day and it seems to have sorted it out.

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 16:32:59

Good, I don't know why my little finger has developed a lump as I don't use that one to crochet.

Witzend Tue 26-Jan-21 18:47:50

@Gagajo, I will PM you.

SpringyChicken Tue 26-Jan-21 21:36:02

Witzend, what about knitting these? It only takes a small ball. grin

www.fab40s.co.uk/images/6oct10/patons206a.jpg

Witzend Tue 26-Jan-21 22:37:08

@Springychicken ??

MamaCaz Wed 27-Jan-21 08:14:20

Springychicken - and in fingering weight yarn, too! ?

Hetty58 Wed 27-Jan-21 08:19:25

Headbands/earwarmers in various sizes seem popular too with the kids.

Lilypops Wed 27-Jan-21 08:27:16

Witzend. I could have written the same, I have a huge bag of wool but never enough to make a big project , so I just crochet blankets or knit very small baby cardigans , but I didn’t have the right colours for my next blanket !! So I ordered a few more balls , much eye rolling from DH , Men just don’t understand our need for wool do they ?

Witzend Thu 28-Jan-21 09:53:56

Many thanks for all suggestions.
I’ve started a hat for a charity that sends them away, I expect to refugee camps. Ditto a brown-faced doll, which is also requested.
Alternating the two, the hat is somewhat boring, inches of the same old rib.
The doll is not, but I’ve been struggling with the pattern (downloaded from the Lovecrafts site) - despite following it meticulously, there has been more than one place where it just doesn’t seem to work out as it should. Cue much cussing from moi!
Oh for the crystal clarity of Jean Greenhowe’s patterns!
I swear my cheeky bagpiper was a doss by comparison!

Pebbles101 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:01:17

I am actually knitting for a change instead of crochet from which I have done endless blankets and toys too like others! But eldest gd (18) wanted a Harry styles type cardigan so have ventured into this - it’s knitted in lots of squares in diff colours and patterns so has expanded my abilities ? but now it’s nearly finished I think it would be easily adapted to use up stash of wool and make lots things !

Callistemon Thu 28-Jan-21 10:05:32

Men just don’t understand our need for wool do they ?
No, they certainly don't.

I decided I ought to try knitting again after crocheting for a couple of years and that I ought to try out my circular needles (sent for but never used) so I started knitting a poncho with some random cake yarn. It could take some time (and could get boring).

Witzend Thu 28-Jan-21 10:12:37

If I make several of these dolls - that’s the idea, doing the bodies in jolly rainbow colours from my stash - I’m going to have to order more brown.....

Dh never comments on my orders thank goodness - as I said to him just now (2 deliveries of his yesterday and another due today) he’s done far more shopping during the lockdowns than he ever did before!

midgey Thu 28-Jan-21 10:21:43

When my children were small they were given jumpers made up from squares, I could imagine many small children would be pleased to wear them. Only the neck and cuffs were knitted ‘normally’.

Doodledog Thu 28-Jan-21 10:33:44

There is a pattern on Ravelry for a blanket made of lots of different squares (35 squares are given, but you could pick and choose or add in some of your own), and it's free.

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/knit-a-squares

I don't know if you have to be logged in to see it, but if you search for 'knit a squares' on Ravelry it will come up.

So long as the yarn is all the same weight it will work, and it looks like it would be fun to put the colours together, too.

Or, if you like making toys and small things, why not get a stall at a charity sale nearer Christmas (when we should be able to go out again)?

Callistemon Thu 28-Jan-21 10:57:51

I started knitting a blanket which is squares but needs no sewing up; it's called a mitred blanket but had to abandon it in favour of crochet as I found knitting was proving difficult (aggravated my shoulder) for a while.
www.deramores.com/products/autumnal-merino-blanket-knitting-kit-and-pattern-in-deramores

I hope to get back to it some time soon.

Liz46 Thu 28-Jan-21 11:44:37

That's lovely Callisstemon.

Witzend Thu 28-Jan-21 19:12:23

? Grrr, I’ve had to ditch the doll pattern I found online. I’m not exactly a novice knitter - I’ve followed the instructions meticulously but I swear they’re wrong somewhere or she’s missed something out (independent designer). I got so frustrated trying to sort it out, I’ve binned what I’d done.

I’ve now ordered a Jean G booklet - there’s a baby doll in it which would be fine for the purpose. At least you know her patterns work!!

Witzend Thu 28-Jan-21 19:21:30

BTW there’s a pattern for a very simple, stashbuster scarf on the Knit for Peace website - 270 sts on a long needle or a circular one, every row garter stitch for 7 inches or whatever that is in cms, a different colour each time, no sewing in ends, just trim to make a fringe.
When I made my blanket on similar lines, except 2 rows each colour, since I was joining 4 squares, I knotted the ends in pairs.

Callistemon Thu 28-Jan-21 19:50:43

Liz46

That's lovely Callisstemon.

I did about five squares, Liz46 then needed a rest from knitting. Perhaps I'll get back to it one day, certainly there's enough yarn in my stash!!

Witzend, not finding a poncho pattern I liked, I found one to adapt, so cast on about 140 stitches; now all I have to do is knit for 56" and sew up.
Perhaps it'll be ready for next winter.

It's worth buying the JG patterns although I do love the Paton's Fairy Dolls too and so do the DGD.
They've got such cute faces.

Jangran99 Sun 07-Feb-21 11:50:48

Pebbles101
But eldest gd (18) wanted a Harry styles type cardigan

My gd (16) is crazy about Harry Styles! Where can I find this pattern?
Many thanks,I’m thinking how many Brownies points I’ll get when we can next meet up ?

Maf1 Mon 08-Feb-21 11:03:20

Had loads of spare wool so knitted square to a fleece throw for my Granddaughter and she loces it

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 10:52:39

That's a good idea!

Did you embroider the motifs on afterwards, Maf1?

Nannina Tue 09-Feb-21 13:02:09

I belong to Loving Hands, an online forum who lists or collates mixed donations for several charities. I use my odd bits to make Worry Monsters or Bobby Bears. I’ve just finished sewing squares donated by other members to make a double bed blanket and a lap blanket

Maf1 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:45:27

I used dishcloth patterns free fom quite a few different sites on the internet to print out if you wish,and then just stitched with contrasting wool around the knitted pattern