Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Banksy

(71 Posts)
Mollybest1 Thu 04-Mar-21 18:18:16

How has Banksy managed to paint a big wall on a main road, in a big town without anyone seeing him ?
How come the papers can dig out people that have been in hiding for years but no one knows who Banksy is ???

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 08:12:00

vegansrock

*I can't stand Banksy*
Hugely overrated, derivative and a bit rubbish. He's done incredibly well with very little talent. fannyc if that’s not a dismissive comment I don’t know what is. You are perfectly entitled to your view of course, but it’s just that- your view. Many others appreciate Banksy and his thought provoking work. There are many pale imitators, which is always a form of flattery.

It was just a quick summary of my opinion of his merits. I'm hardly going to write an essay on here am I?
Of course it's 'my view' thank you for 'entitling' me to it! I'm not pretending that it's anything other than that, albeit an educated one.
I didn't understand why people get so upset when others don't agree with them. I'm just giving an alternate opinion.
I also think that you will find that if anyone is guilty of imitation it is Gunningham himself.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 08:12:45

Don't understand, not didn't

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 08:26:35

Anyway, that's my hissy fit for today.
We'll part as friends I hope thanksvegansrock (and you're right - they do!)

ginny Fri 05-Mar-21 08:29:30

Well , wether he is good or not, he’d better not come and paint his graffiti on my house. I can think of much nicer pictures to put on it if I so desired.

seamstress Fri 05-Mar-21 08:34:41

ginny your house would be worth millions if he drew on it.

ginny Fri 05-Mar-21 08:48:09

Maybe it is anyway! ??

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 09:21:57

grandmajet

I love that FannyCornforth can draw better than Banksy. Please come and draw on my house Fanny, I’ll provide a ladder and a man to catch you if you fall off! ?

Thank you, but I definitely couldn't manage the ladder.
I think that it's a strange assumption on here that posters (not just me!) are bereft of talent or expertise.

grandmajet Fri 05-Mar-21 10:00:22

My assumption is that most are more talented and intelligent than me! ?

ginny Fri 05-Mar-21 10:01:43

Hmm, stencils. I have a couple of them in my craft room.
I may be busy tonight.

grandmajet Fri 05-Mar-21 10:07:42

My address is......
My house is very plain.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 10:08:42

For the past god knows how long I've been trying to download and attach his picture of the boy playing with the nurse doll.
If you look at that it's evident to anyone that he can't draw for toffee.
The boy has a midget hand - it's the same size as his ear; he doesn't seem to know how to shade; the perspective is all over the shop; there is so much wrong with it.
It's not even A level standard.

V3ra Fri 05-Mar-21 10:31:41

This one?

images.app.goo.gl/otDU1goimMmyyRLx8

annodomini Fri 05-Mar-21 10:34:34

The gable end of my house could do with some adornment. So if Banksy is reading this, please pm me!

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 10:35:46

Thankyou V3ra!
My saviour!
See? It's a 'bit rubbish', isn't it? ( to quote someone upthread wink)

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 10:48:29

And his ear is in the wrong place!
The top of the ear should be exactly opposite the centre of the eye.
I have taught kids in year 4 this.
(I've got to stop this now, I'm managing to get on my own wick now...)

grandmajet Fri 05-Mar-21 11:08:56

Oh yes, I just looked. His ear has slipped a bit.

Jaxjacky Fri 05-Mar-21 11:18:02

I’ve never analysed his pictures, or others, against a ‘standard’ if I like it, I like it.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 11:24:59

Jaxjacky

I’ve never analysed his pictures, or others, against a ‘standard’ if I like it, I like it.

Of course that's fair enough
I'm like that with music.
But to call his stuff 'masterpieces' as someone did upthread, is just wrong.
Banksy is a master of self publicity, creating memorable images and provoking strong emotional responses. Those are his strengths.

Oldwoman70 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:44:27

FannyCornforth

And his ear is in the wrong place!
The top of the ear should be exactly opposite the centre of the eye.
I have taught kids in year 4 this.
(I've got to stop this now, I'm managing to get on my own wick now...)

The same could be said for some Picasso paintings!

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 12:08:02

Yes. But he isn't aiming for abstract impressionism or cubism. He is aiming for realism. He wants it to look like a real boy.
There was nothing wrong with Picasso's grasp of anatomy.
Honestly. Would you argue with a musician about the comparable merits of Mozart and Madonna?

Oldwoman70 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:26:01

Everyone gets something different from art - that is what it is supposed to do. Many artists don't portray the human body exactly - if you want that look at a photograph - it is all down to interpretation. As an artist I am sure you understand that.

Cherrytree59 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:29:32

Banksie would probably say his work is to create discussion, a talking point, relevant to that moment in time.

Art is very subjective.
I have wonderful pieces 'Modern' art, all of which adorns my kitchen walls and fridge.???

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 12:48:16

Oldwoman I really wouldn't class myself as an artist, I can draw very well and have a creative nature but that's it.
I do however know my onions when it comes to the history and theory of art & design.
I also know talent and skill when I see it, and I when I look at Banksy's stuff I see neither.
There is also a French street artist (his name escapes me) whose ideas are remarkably similar, and predate Gunningham's work.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 12:49:56

And I think that he has ripped off the KLF quite a bit too.

bmacca Fri 05-Mar-21 13:23:55

For those who do like Banksy, there’s an interesting programme on Sky Arts about him

www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/1c6b99f9-cd60-40f4-9c7f-e81405565685