Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Banksy

(71 Posts)
Mollybest1 Thu 04-Mar-21 18:18:16

How has Banksy managed to paint a big wall on a main road, in a big town without anyone seeing him ?
How come the papers can dig out people that have been in hiding for years but no one knows who Banksy is ???

Jaxjacky Fri 05-Mar-21 13:31:55

Thanks bmacca

Amberone Fri 05-Mar-21 15:35:25

I see Banksy as more of a cartoonist-type artist - the appeal is in what he puts where, and the unexpectedness of it. He can usually make me smile.

trisher Fri 05-Mar-21 17:52:34

FannyCornforth you do realise don't you that these are huge wall paintings meant to be viewed from below, and that sometimes artists distort perspective to acheive effects? So in this case the child's hand is small partly because it will be nearer you and also because it should not draw attenton away from the nurse doll which is the focus of the whole piece. It's really no good trying to criticise just the drawing if you ignore the intention.

trisher Fri 05-Mar-21 18:01:30

This is so funny- Bob Ross doing a Banksy!
www.instagram.com/p/CMAHrGPFV2V/

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 20:08:37

trisher

FannyCornforth you do realise don't you that these are huge wall paintings meant to be viewed from below, and that sometimes artists distort perspective to acheive effects? So in this case the child's hand is small partly because it will be nearer you and also because it should not draw attenton away from the nurse doll which is the focus of the whole piece. It's really no good trying to criticise just the drawing if you ignore the intention.

Erm, no. The picture that I was referring to, the boy/ doll one is around an A12 size.
You can argue with me until the cows come home, but I know I'm right! smile

trisher Fri 05-Mar-21 20:31:05

Well you must be a real art expert although the concept of distorting for effect and emphasis has been around since pre-Renaisance times. It's one of the reasons Byzantine art was once much misunderstood with people thinking the artists didn't know about perspective when in fact they just chose not to use it. The picture is about 1 metre square (A12 is a few mm) and the focus is the nurse doll. If you want a 100% accurate picture take a photograph. Art is about so much more.

Jaxjacky Fri 05-Mar-21 20:37:50

Agree trisher looks jolly fine to me!

trisher Fri 05-Mar-21 20:45:27

The other thing is of course that children's proportions differ considerably from adults. They have bigger heads and smaller hands.

muse Fri 05-Mar-21 23:46:19

Have to disagree with you FannyCornforth. The boy is looking up at the doll. From that viewpoint the ear will appear lower than the eye line.

You say the hand is the same size as his ear. The child's palm may be the same size but the full length makes it slightly longer than his ear. Correct for a that age of child.

This photo proves my point.

Eloethan Sat 06-Mar-21 00:00:51

Art isn't just about technical skill - although I think Banksy's painting style is pretty good.

His paintings take a very wry and questioning look at society - and perhaps that's why some people don't like him.

Everyone has different tastes and opinions on paintings, music and literature but that is just what they are - personal opinions. It is rather presumptuous to present one's opinions as if they are the last word on the matter.

nanna8 Sat 06-Mar-21 00:20:05

Not a fan- I don’t like graffiti whether it is talented or not. Have to admire how well he has done as a cartoonist, though. He did some works in Melbourne once and they were whinging because it got removed.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 09:22:43

muse I don't think that I was clear, the eye and the ear are still parallel however you hold your head.
trisher, sorry, I didn't mean A12!
I'm not sure where that came from!confused
To be honest, I suppose that I could be considered a bit of an 'expert'. I've got a first and an MA in the history of art, am a qualified art teacher and was offered a lecturing post at a university. I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but just wanted to show that I'm not just talking out of my hat! Despite not being very articulate at the moment... hmm

Casdon Sat 06-Mar-21 10:48:34

It’s interesting I think, the expert eye will pick up technique failures that others don’t spot, and see a piece of art in a context that others don’t see. Ultimately though, that expert view has no relevance to what art captures people’s imaginations and makes them happy - because that’s intangible. That’s why Banksy has succeeded and where many other technically more gifted artists don’t.

timetogo2016 Sat 06-Mar-21 10:53:08

I agree varian,Dh and i said the same quite recently.

Oldwoman70 Sat 06-Mar-21 10:53:44

FannyCornforth As has been said appreciation of art is subjective - personally I dislike some of Picasso's work, but that is my own view and I accept others like it.

I like Banksy's work not just for the skill but also the social commentary he makes with many of his pieces

trisher Sat 06-Mar-21 10:57:25

FannyCornforth

muse I don't think that I was clear, the eye and the ear are still parallel however you hold your head.
trisher, sorry, I didn't mean A12!
I'm not sure where that came from!confused
To be honest, I suppose that I could be considered a bit of an 'expert'. I've got a first and an MA in the history of art, am a qualified art teacher and was offered a lecturing post at a university. I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but just wanted to show that I'm not just talking out of my hat! Despite not being very articulate at the moment... hmm

The interestingthing is that you can have all of those qualifications and never have done a life drawing class. I've no art qualifications apart from a teaching certificate gained many years ago. I have done an awful lot of life drawing and know the difference between adult anatomical proportions and children and they are very different.
But actually it's never all about technique and observation, intention, communication, creativity and what can only be described as soul are more important.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 11:05:13

Ihave done lots of life drawing trisher! I've even been a model for it! shock
Granted, I really don't know much about children's anatomy.
You make some brilliant points, thank you (and I like your take on IWD elsewhere) smile

Oldwoman70 Mon 08-Mar-21 13:22:37

I have just read that Banksy is selling the canvas of this picture and it is expected to raise around £2.5m which will be donated to NHS charities

Jaxjacky Mon 08-Mar-21 19:36:20

Oldwoman70 good news and leaving a reproduction at Southampton hospital, hope it gets loads.

Jaxjacky Tue 23-Mar-21 15:47:13

His piece of art, originally at Southampton General Hospital has raised £14.4 million for NHS charities today. ??