Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Yarn Bombing/Love Bombing

(21 Posts)
Witzend Mon 26-Jul-21 20:49:57

Can anyone recommend a pattern for a letterbox topper for December?
I’ve looked online but couldn’t find one.

nanna8 Wed 07-Jul-21 12:16:49

They have spoonvilles here where kids decorate wooden spoons like little people and set up little ‘towns’ here and there. I prefer these, personally,because the knitting fades and ends up looking tatty. I like the tree barks, especially the gums, au naturale. They are beautiful and don’t need decorating.

Nannyjaxx Wed 07-Jul-21 11:42:05

This is our local postbox, was also decorated for Christmas, Easter and Armistice.

Nannarose Tue 09-Mar-21 13:38:22

Well, a lot of the yarn is left over from other projects. I take the point about acrylic yarn not degrading, but most 'bombers' take them down - and my local community save a lot for re-use - they come out on lots of occasions.
For those, such as decorations for Xmas, Feast Day etc. that are going to come out again, acrylic is great. It washes & wears well and stays bright & perky.
I tend to have acrylic left-overs as I do blankets for our homeless shelter. They need blankets that will wash and dry quickly & easily, so acrylic fits the bill.

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 11:40:56

Afterwards, the scarf was separated into blocks, washed and repurposed into blankets for babies, children and adults, supporting small, grassroots campaigns in Tanzania, Uganda, Syria and the UK so nothing was wasted.

That makes sense.

Blossoming Tue 09-Mar-21 11:29:20

I have left offerings at the tree on the fairy knowe on Doon Hill, I have loved going there since I was very small. I probably wouldn’t manage the climb now!

StatenIsland Tue 09-Mar-21 10:21:54

In 2014, I participated in the anti-Trident Wool Against Weapons campaign. We created a seven mile long pink scarf to stretch between Atomic Weapons Establishments Aldermaston and Burghfield.

Afterwards, the scarf was separated into blocks, washed and repurposed into blankets for babies, children and adults, supporting small, grassroots campaigns in Tanzania, Uganda, Syria and the UK so nothing was wasted.

Nannarose Tue 09-Mar-21 10:14:04

Yes! We have a lovely yarn-bombing community here who have been cheering us up for several years now (I know they were established before the 2012 Olympics).
I don't myself want to spend as much time on creations as they do, but some of us on the 'fringes' join in at special times: hearts during first lockdown, poppies on Remembrance Day etc.

eazybee - although I know what you mean, the practice of hanging tokens on trees is a very old one, and I quite like it. There are trees near me that have always had ribbons and tokens hung on them - as a child I was told it was by the women who followed 'the old ways'. It seemed to stop for many years, but they have been back for some years now. It is probably less intrusive than 'yarn bombing' but I associate them in my mind.

eazybee Tue 09-Mar-21 09:25:43

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree ;

I would prefer my local trees to stay as they are.

BlueBelle Tue 09-Mar-21 09:15:40

We had a few trees etc love bombed a couple of years ago I loved it wish there was more

StatenIsland Tue 09-Mar-21 09:02:19

Maybe placed by someone inspired by the Craftivism movement. Sarah Corbett's book of the same name and her Ted talk or the recent BBC TV programme hosted by Jenny Eclair explain more:

www.ted.com/talks/sarah_corbett_activism_needs_introverts?language=en

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000rxn0/craftivism-making-a-difference

Niobe Tue 09-Mar-21 08:55:11

My only reservation is that they are mostly made using synthetic yarns and therefore are not biodegradable. What happens to them after they are taken down? More landfill? Serious question from an avid knitter.

Greyduster Tue 09-Mar-21 08:48:32

I had never heard of this, but we have a small community orchard here and the fences and trees were festooned with small crocheted items recently - I had no idea what they were supposed to be there for but they looked lovely.

vampirequeen Tue 09-Mar-21 08:36:36

Beverley Minster explains that in the past pilgrims would scratch their name/mark into the stonework. As this is now extremely frowned upon they've instituted yarn bombing on the fencing. It looks brilliant..

Nandalot Tue 09-Mar-21 08:31:25

In our village, we are doing this as a community Easter project.

Funnygran Tue 09-Mar-21 08:24:51

At Christmas members of our local church left tiny hand knitted angels on plants in gardens with little notes much the same as on the hearts. Lovely gesture. I’ve kept mine for next year.

Lisagran Tue 09-Mar-21 07:08:56

That’s a lovely idea - very cheering to find one smile. They yarn bombed some trees in Stratford a couple of years ago - very jolly.

BlueBelle Tue 09-Mar-21 06:43:44

I love things like this there should be so much more we need to bomb this country with love we ve become harsh grey and cynical
bring it on

FannyCornforth Tue 09-Mar-21 05:58:56

Oh wow, I'd be delighted to find one of those.
I know it's the thought that it the main thing, but they really are well made aswell.

CanadianGran Tue 09-Mar-21 05:48:38

That is sweet; someone's day will be brighter.

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 12:58:50

I love this idea! It reminds me of the pebble painters too.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-56253868