Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Has anyone made one of these Worry Monsters?

(10 Posts)
Witzend Tue 16-Mar-21 10:19:10

Dd has suggested offering mine to the Gdcs’ (primary) school. Which we probably will, as long as he turns out reasonably OK once eventually finished.
I cursed like mad yesterday while making one foot - all the stitches of a non simple pattern (knit a few, turn, cast off a lot, knit more, etc.) came off the needle, so too much of a headache to pick up.
Start again. ?
More hands and feet, arms, legs, horns, eyes, teeth, and one ear to go.

Nannina Tue 09-Mar-21 12:32:11

Made quite a few of these in the past for social workers to use when working with children. They also request fat and thin versions and for monsters with pants. All sorts of patterns available if you search Worry Monsters

Witzend Mon 08-Mar-21 11:42:19

Hooray! The white stripes are supposed to be in double DK, but there’s some cream chunky I’ve had for ages - can’t even remember what I bought it for - which will be perfect.

Witzend Mon 08-Mar-21 10:27:52

I hadn’t thought of making any for Gdcs, but maybe I will later, Grannyactivist - they always seem happy but then I expect even the luckiest children have their little worries now and then, and I’m sure Gds in particular would adore his own monster!

grannyactivist Mon 08-Mar-21 10:23:23

I’ve never made one myself, but have found their use very helpful for direct work with children and bought some for my grandchildren.

H1954 Mon 08-Mar-21 10:14:04

Ailidh

Oo, I like that idea!

Going to have a look and see if there's a crocheted version.

Yes, there's a crochet version too! I've just looked at the website and it's a brilliant idea for yarn oddments making something so useful. Thank you for sharing Witzend.

Aveline Mon 08-Mar-21 10:09:01

What a good idea. Wish I could knit!

Marydoll Mon 08-Mar-21 10:08:28

I used to use them in school. They are a great idea for children who find it hard to tell what's wrong.

Ailidh Mon 08-Mar-21 10:03:37

Oo, I like that idea!

Going to have a look and see if there's a crocheted version.

Witzend Mon 08-Mar-21 09:44:34

Since Knit for Peace don’t want much else at the moment and my blanket won’t be ready for a long time, I think I’m also going to make one of these, found online, designed for children who are troubled in some way. There’s a pocket where they can post a piece of paper with whatever worry written down, through the monster’s mouth, for him to ‘eat’.
Good way of using up all sorts of oddments, too.
It was on the Knit for Nowt website, in case anyone else is interested.