Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Charity knitting to use up odds and ends

(10 Posts)
Witzend Fri 14-May-21 15:29:22

Thanks, PP.

Purplepixie Thu 13-May-21 13:21:40

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/13/knit-blanket-rescue-dog

Here is a link for the knitted dog/cat blankets for Battersea. Happy knitting.

aquagran Wed 12-May-21 09:48:13

Thank you very much JackyB. I will certainly look on YouTube for ideas. I used to love making dolls clothes when my daughters and granddaughters were young, but granddaughters now growing up! ☹️ I am grateful for your reply.

JackyB Wed 12-May-21 08:41:13

aquagran There are lots of lovely ideas on YouTube for using up scraps of material. I spend far too much time watching other people sew!

Little make-up bags or pencil-cases. If you have granddaughters, dolls clothes, headbands, scarves.

For charities, maybe Battersea would accept sewn quilts as well as knitted blankets. Potholders, oven gloves, table mats, shoe bags would all serve well for fundraisers.

aquagran Tue 11-May-21 15:48:01

Wasn’t it you Purplepixie who said nobody replied to your posts!

aquagran Tue 11-May-21 11:35:38

How about odds and ends of material. Not patchwork. Any ideas?

nipsmum Tue 11-May-21 11:10:09

I have been using up my odds and ends by knitting mitred squares in different colours. sew 4 together on each side to make a cushion cover. I added buttons but they can be sewn up when you have put the cushion pad in if you like. I love knitting in multi colours as they seem so cheerful if they are nice and bright

Purplepixie Mon 12-Apr-21 06:49:16

I knit dog / cat blankets for battersea. They do have a pattern for making little knitted mice which use up odd bits of wool. All worthy causes.

Liz46 Thu 08-Apr-21 14:28:46

I've also sent three worry monsters and some hand puppets (I did nurses and police). Mind did not look as good as some of the once in the photos but I received a very nice thank you message.
I think I may do some more hand puppets. I did not enjoy the worry monsters so much.
I am a member of Handmade for Dementia and have made lots of cannula sleeves for our local hospital. There are strict safety rules to be followed but they are a good way of using up small balls of wool.

Witzend Thu 08-Apr-21 14:17:06

I recently sent my Worry Monster off to Knit for Nowt, where I found the pattern - there is apparently a waiting list for them.

He was quite a big knit, but they are also in need of hand puppets for use with children in need of therapy - according to the website demand has increased during the time of lockdowns.

They need a great variety of these - all family figures, doctors, social workers, you name it, and since they’re small and won’t need much yarn, I thought some Crafty GNers might be interested.

Details and patterns are available on the Knit for Nowt website.