Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Hand knitted cowls

(15 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 06-Aug-21 10:58:06

That is lovely MiniMoon. How do you get the pointy bit at the front?

MiniMoon Fri 06-Aug-21 10:48:16

I have crocheted several cowls. They have been much admired and requested. This is the most recent one, done in waffle stitch.

Doodledog Fri 06-Aug-21 10:34:49

Snoods can sometimes be pulled up and over the head to form a hood, but more often the terms are interchangeable, I think.

GagaJo Fri 06-Aug-21 10:31:03

Is there a difference between a cowl and a snood?

I could manage to knit a cowl! Thanks for the project idea.

Witzend Fri 06-Aug-21 10:13:13

That’s lovely - do you use a pattern or is it out of your head?

Rowantree Tue 03-Aug-21 19:07:13

Hello! I love the blackberry stitch cowl. I'm in the grip of an episode of depression at the moment, and I'd love to be able to make something for the grandchildren with my huge stash of wool. Any guidance on needle sizes, wool thickness and measurements would be very welcome, please!

EilaRose Tue 27-Apr-21 08:45:06

Lovely cowl. I really like blackberry stitch although I don't know how to do it! Actually I'm not much of a knitter but admire knitting items...instead I prefer to sew.

Keep up the good work, I'm sure the recipients will love them too.

Purplepixie Sat 17-Apr-21 20:53:21

I'm going to knit a cream one with white sparkly wool knitted together next. I'm putting them away for presents. They are so quick and easy.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 17-Apr-21 17:19:17

It's lovely pixie and the colours are great. So cosy for next winter.

Doodledog Sat 17-Apr-21 15:50:23

That's lovely.

I've made countless cowls over the years, as they knit up quickly, make good presents, and I find them so useful. They are cosier and more difficult to lose than scarves, and can accessorise an outfit as well as being used outdoors to keep you warm.

Purplepixie Sat 17-Apr-21 15:14:16

Thank you so much. Yes, I did use wool from my stash.

justwokeup Sat 17-Apr-21 14:10:46

That is a lovely pattern. I bought a cowl in a local shop but it cost quite a lot and the layered design I liked used lots of different coloured wools. I realised when I got home I could have saved quite a bit of money by knitting it myself with wool from my stash. blush So well done Purplepixe for saving your family money too.

annodomini Sat 17-Apr-21 13:44:14

I'm sure those will keep them cosy. I love blackberry stitch, but it's a long time since I've made anything using it.

Hithere Sat 17-Apr-21 13:38:49

So cute!

Purplepixie Sat 17-Apr-21 11:35:51

I’ve been knitting cowls for the winter and my grand kids during the lockdown. This one is knitted with a blackberry stitch and circular knitting needles.