Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Bleach on tunic top

(52 Posts)
ALT57 Thu 15-Jul-21 11:38:51

Whilst shopping did not realise that bleach bottle was leaking and have now 2 patches on favourite top.

I do not want to discard it and wondered if I could embroider a simple pattern over the top. I have never embroidered before eeek!!! Is there such a thing as a simple pattern for beginners and would I need a hoop. I am beginning to think this is going to cost more than the top.

JackyB Sat 24-Jul-21 10:47:10

ALT57 Thank you so much for coming back with what you finally decided on. So many people just disappear after asking question guns like this,leaving everybody wondering...

If you like the design of the top, maybe you can unpick it and use it as a pattern for a replacement one.

ALT57 Sat 24-Jul-21 07:58:35

The fabric is too light to take anything heavy on it. I have been lucky that the shop has paid me the value of it.

I loved the shape of it and cant find another but as it will cost more than the value of it to cover these stains I have decided to bin it.

Thank you all for your input.

Kamiso Sun 18-Jul-21 16:01:46

MissAdventure

I use a permanent marker.

That’s what i’ve done in the past!

I have several iron on motifs. Unfortunately they are mainly Mickey Mouse, Fire Engines and football motifs bought when CH Fabrics closed down one of their shops, before we moved here 15 years ago!

Gabrielle56 Sun 18-Jul-21 12:00:37

Depending on the location of the patch, how about buttons? I accidentally snipped the shoulder ora brand-new top when snipping off those annoying and totally unnecessary ribbon loops!!!!!luckily iwasable to strategically sew a button eothersideto cover and it actually enhances the top discreet and classy uttons used of course!

Jaxie Sun 18-Jul-21 10:15:57

Sounds a bit hippy to me. I would be prepared to see the manager of the shop you bought it at if it was their fault the cap was loose and ask for compensation.

sazz1 Sun 18-Jul-21 09:20:14

When I burned a hole in daughter's favourite dress and shops were all sold out I managed to get an identical one on Eb.
Was a fraction of the price and new as well. Worth a try HTH

Nannyknee Sun 18-Jul-21 08:56:21

I have covered bleach marks by dying it a darker colour, however the top needs to be made of cotton.

muffinthemoo Sat 17-Jul-21 21:21:28

Go for appliqué! You can get iron on appliqué backing which you can either use as the only thing holding it together, or can use it to keep everything in place whilst you do an edging stitch around the appliqué itself.

3dognight Sat 17-Jul-21 21:15:54

Wear as a nightshirt as it is grin

HillyN Sat 17-Jul-21 20:34:17

You can get iron-on transfer paper that you can put through a printer and print out your own choice of transfer. If you have a printer/scanner you might be able to scan an unmarked area of the top, print it on to the paper and iron it on over the bleach marks.

chickkygran Sat 17-Jul-21 16:09:38

My daughter had just started work a number of years ago, through no fault of her own she got bleach/chemicals on her suit trousers (there was an investigation about this). This was the only suit she owned and had an interview the next day. I suggested we used felt tip to cover up all the bleach marks, it worked perfectly! Not sure if that's any help but could try it out on the inside of the hem. Good luck!

debgaga Sat 17-Jul-21 15:53:20

I spilt bleach on a favourite brown cotton tiered dress. I sewed a badge on the offending small patch and it looks ridiculous. I now call it my brownie uniform and wear it when I practice my hostess badge. A cheese sandwich and a cup of tea for brown owls husband.

welbeck Sat 17-Jul-21 15:08:55

i remember i once got some ink on a deep blue shirt, near the pocket.
so i downgraded it to gardening duty.
but someone seriously admired it, and asked me what was that logo, near the pocket, must be very exclusive as she'd never seen it before. !

welbeck Sat 17-Jul-21 15:07:08

CBT61

How about more bleach? That’s what I did to this top…,

that's what i was going to suggest.
maybe practice on something else.
make it a unique abstract design.

Caro57 Sat 17-Jul-21 15:04:09

Had the same event with a bright cerise blouse so i went mad with the bleach splashes and now get no end of compliments about my blouse grin

Rosina Sat 17-Jul-21 14:09:50

I am intruiged to notice that all the of the pictured garments that have suffered a bleach calamity seem to be of a sludgy green colour....

lizzypopbottle Sat 17-Jul-21 14:05:49

Will you post a photo, please?

blueberry1 Sat 17-Jul-21 13:46:36

Pinterest has lots of ideas for embroidery to cover splashes, tears, etc.. Just type in "embroidery on clothes".

BlueBelle Sat 17-Jul-21 13:12:23

I d tie dye it with some more beach

jocork Sat 17-Jul-21 13:07:24

CBT61

How about more bleach? That’s what I did to this top…,

Love this. I went for a small embroidery but it was quite a small spot. Depends how big it is.

vegansrock Sat 17-Jul-21 12:29:50

You could tie dye it

icanhandthemback Sat 17-Jul-21 12:23:50

If you go onto one of the local sites like Next-door, you can put in a call for someone who does bespoke machine embroidery. That way you'll more likely get a range of designs of professional looking embroidery where you can choose the colours to suit your top.

SusieFlo Sat 17-Jul-21 12:16:26

After reading all replies I think I would have to get a new top!!

MissAdventure Sat 17-Jul-21 12:10:24

I have some fabric paints, and they're excellent.
Some sort of puff up, and give an embossed effect.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 17-Jul-21 12:01:07

Another suggestion is to get 'waste' cross stitch canvas, cross stitch onto your bleached patch in a design of your choice using the waste canvas as a guide, and then remove the waste canvas. I've not done this but have heard of it, I believe the waste canvas is water soluble.
CBT61 that is a wonderfully creative idea - love it! I should think you could take orders for more of those.