Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Am I too old to learn to knit? ( 57 )

(92 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 29-Jul-21 07:44:18

I’ve always envied people who are great at knitting and sewing. I never learnt as a child but have always had a desire to knit something simple like a hat grin
Can I learn at my age?
Is it hard?

aggie Thu 29-Jul-21 11:14:44

The only problem with knitting or crochet is becoming addicted to yarn/wool !
I started crochet and now have stuff in blanket box , on top of the freezer, in the airing cupboard and 3 parcels opened and drooled over , I love colour and texture
When I was knitting I did fairisle , Icelandic,Aran but never plain ,
I love trying different patterns/stitches in my crochet
I do go on a bit ??

Flexagon Thu 29-Jul-21 11:19:10

Callistemon

I have come to like circular needles too.
But I find crocheta bit easier on the hands and wrists

I find it helps to alternate. I seem to have developed a spasmodically collapsing left thumb which could be a result of too much lockdown knitting. I wear a support for a few days and hook with my right meantime.

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 11:20:35

Don't ........ ?

There are advantages with keeping it it different places, though, aggie , you (and anyone else) don't realise just how much you have!

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 11:23:05

Flexagon

Callistemon

I find it helps to alternate. I seem to have developed a spasmodically collapsing left thumb which could be a result of too much lockdown knitting. I wear a support for a few days and hook with my right meantime.

I seem to have developed a bit of tennis elbow without playing tennis and without being a left hander.

Dangerous sports, knitting and crochet!

travelsafar Thu 29-Jul-21 11:24:03

Try and find a Knit and Natter group in your area. I did this a few years ago and love it!!! They taught me how to crochet but i do prefer knitting. Its a great way to make new friends too. Ours restarts tomorrow as it goes and i am soooo looking forward to seeing everyone again. smile

grandtanteJE65 Thu 29-Jul-21 11:25:16

If you have rheumatism in your hands, it may well be too late to learn to knit without it hurting.

Otherwise I do not believe we are ever too old to learn something that we really want to learn.

At any age the desire to learn a thing will carry a person sucessfully though any difficulties.

Newatthis Thu 29-Jul-21 11:36:26

We are never too old to learn - ANYTHING!! Go for it.

Doodledog Thu 29-Jul-21 11:58:24

Callistemon

I have never managed to get the hang of crochet. I default to trying to knit with the hook grin

Millie22 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:02:30

I love knitting and have recently even attempted some knitted toys. Bit fiddly but fun.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:07:18

I'm sure you can learn, possibly with the help of books or videos on You Tube, etc. You'll find it very rewarding. You could start with cheap wool from Poundland if you have a branch near you. (Three for two - you can't argue with that, can you?)

I've been knitting socks since the second lock down last year and eventually got the hang of it. Please explain, Flexagon how you begin at the toe end. I tried to do this but the wrestling porcupine had me beat so I went back to the knee down method.

Namsnanny Thu 29-Jul-21 12:19:52

I love this thread.
Everyone is so positive and enthusiastic.
Its also lovely to read all of the helpful tips!
Thank you for lifting my spirits?? (dont look too closely, these are chop sticks not knitting needlesgrin)

Sara1954 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:20:00

Aggie
I have that problem.
I decide to crochet something to use up some wool, then end up buying even more to finish it.

nanna8 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:25:47

I’ve got into knitting socks for the family with left over balls of wool. They all really like them and I got a nice cable pattern from Bendigo woollen mills which is one of the places I drool over when I go up there. I just love walking round and looking at wool. Funny I found some of my old ancestors used to have sheep farms in the Lake District,so maybe it is some old ancient DNA or something. Alpaca wool is lovely,too, very soft.

Whiff Thu 29-Jul-21 12:56:14

Kandinsky you are never to old to learn anything new. I am 63 and started to cross stitch 5 years ago. I mainly work using DMC threads on 14 count Aida . But have made cushions using yarn and 5 count canvas. This is a cushion I made for my grandson.

If you fancy it I suggest you buy a copy of The world of cross stitching or Cross Stitcher magazine they come with a free kit. It's a slow craft but very relaxing. I am addicted to it. On the cross stitch thread others have posted pictures of their work plus some of mine.

Flexagon Thu 29-Jul-21 15:36:47

lovebeigecardigans1955

Please explain, Flexagon how you begin at the toe end

Judy's Magic Cast On (JMCO). Invented by Judy Becker. You Tube videos by Roxanne Richardson and Cat Bordhi (and others) explain how.

It's a way of winding stitches onto the points of a circular needle. You then knit in the round increasing every other round until you have the size of toe you want.

Increase by picking up and knitting into the back of the loop betweeen the two stitches at either end of each row - i.e. increase by four stitches every other round.

Have a try. It can take a while to get the hang of it but once you do, you might find you don't want to go back to knitting top down.

Roxanne's video - which is more comprehensive:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEnk-Kl513A

Cat's video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ItemF86f90

One of the reasons I like this method is that once I get past the heel turn on both socks - I tend to work two at a time - I can see how much yarn I have left and can adjust the length of the leg accordingly.

Another is that I find the toe smoother than if I work top down and graft the toe stitches together.

Once I've knitted the top rib I use a sewn bind off to finish as it creates a stretchy edge. Again, Roxanne:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H91T1xY0fwU

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 16:20:33

nanna8

I’ve got into knitting socks for the family with left over balls of wool. They all really like them and I got a nice cable pattern from Bendigo woollen mills which is one of the places I drool over when I go up there. I just love walking round and looking at wool. Funny I found some of my old ancestors used to have sheep farms in the Lake District,so maybe it is some old ancient DNA or something. Alpaca wool is lovely,too, very soft.

I have a friend who used to keep alpacas but it all needed spinning first.
Now, there's a thought for a new craft!

Actually, when we were on an Australian cruise I met a woman who had a schedule of alpaca yarn but had never learned to knit!

We have a rug from the Castlemaine Woollen Mill, nanna8 - it was a gift, we haven't been there.

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 16:21:08

Not schedule - shedful!!

Kandinsky Thu 29-Jul-21 20:19:16

Thank you all so much.
So inspiring reading all your replies xx

Kim19 Thu 29-Jul-21 20:26:41

Absolutely not too late. You may be a little slower on the uptake but hang on in there. Very much worthwhile and satisfying pastime. Imagine the kick you'll get out of the ultimate success. The basics are sequential and repetitive and not at all difficult but that is always easy to say by one who 'knows how'. Good luck. I look forward to hearing of your positive outcome.

Savvy Thu 29-Jul-21 20:32:42

Start with something small, a practise piece, but hang on to it. As you progress, it's nice to look back at your first knitted item and see how far you've come.

In a couple of months, you'll be knitting like a pro.

Nannagarra Thu 29-Jul-21 21:49:53

Such a lovely positive thread which is a real pleasure to read.
You’re certainly not too old to learn, Kandinsky. There’s plenty of good advice here and once you start you’ll find it addictive.
I’m another who loves to crochet and knit (particularly lace - the pattern I use was published 71 years ago and requires 3 ply).
You’ve convinced me to look at toe-up socks, Flexagon: no Kitchener stitch and the ability to see how much yarn remains to judge the length of the finished item. How ingenious. Thank you.
?

Flexagon Thu 29-Jul-21 22:21:10

You are welcome Nanagarra. My favourite book about toe up socks is called (unsurprisingly) Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy D Johnson. Some nice lace and cable patterns to try.

Lace knitting (like sock knitting) can be addictive, can't it? My favourite laceweight yarn is Fyberspates Scrumptious a mix of silk and wool. My favourite pattern has probably been Ethereal by Lakshmi Juneja, Evelyn Clark's Forget-Me-Not a close second. I bought both via Ravelry.

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 22:43:21

I've been looking a some books this evening on how to crochet squares - the ones with flowers tc in the centre but it's going to need some concentration.

I think I found different knitting stitches much easier, even managed cabled jumper when I was in my teens.

Nannagarra Thu 29-Jul-21 23:04:09

Flexagon

You are welcome Nanagarra. My favourite book about toe up socks is called (unsurprisingly) Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy D Johnson. Some nice lace and cable patterns to try.

Lace knitting (like sock knitting) can be addictive, can't it? My favourite laceweight yarn is Fyberspates Scrumptious a mix of silk and wool. My favourite pattern has probably been Ethereal by Lakshmi Juneja, Evelyn Clark's Forget-Me-Not a close second. I bought both via Ravelry.

You’re a star, Flexagon! Many thanks.

Flexagon Thu 29-Jul-21 23:06:01

Callistemon Do have a look on Ravelry. There are many, many free patterns for floral squares.