Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Am I too old to learn to knit? ( 57 )

(92 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 29-Jul-21 07:44:18

I’ve always envied people who are great at knitting and sewing. I never learnt as a child but have always had a desire to knit something simple like a hat grin
Can I learn at my age?
Is it hard?

Witzend Thu 05-Aug-21 11:50:41

I was amused to read the primary-school learning to knit stories. My mother had taught me the very basics, but it was at after-school Brownies where we were expected to knit. I think it was just a square, but I hated it - every row took me forever, never mind dropped stitches, etc.

So eventually I stopped going to Brownies, but after a week or two one of those neat, perfect girls, who always did everything properly (the opposite of me at the time) came up and said in her Miss Perfect voice, ‘Brown Owl said to tell you she wants her red wool back.’

Back in the 80s, when we were living in Oman, a friend’s dd was expected to knit at Brownies, and her mother, with 2 other children, was told by her dd that Brown Owl had said she ‘had’ to teach her.
I won’t repeat the reply she gave!

Her dd was extremely put out that the Brownies were expected to knit, while the Cubs went sausage-sizzling on the beach! And who could blame her?

I dare say such sexist divisions have changed now - I hope so, anyway.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 01-Aug-21 20:26:21

Ne er too old to learn a craft imo. My friend learnt to drive at 57 it's hardly old?

OurKid1 Sun 01-Aug-21 14:41:59

Doodledog I learned like that too at the age of 5. Not sure how our teacher did it, but she did! Started off doing dishcloths using string which made our hands sore, then onto dresses for our dolls which involved casting on a few stitches when we got to the sleeves. We also knitted bobble hats which were basically a tube with a seam up the back. Not sure what the boys did though - I don't remember them being in that group at all.

OurKid1 Sun 01-Aug-21 14:39:02

You're never too old to learn to knit. Learning to knit is a progressive thing anyway. You can start by doing something really basic (a scarf maybe in garter stitch i.e. basic knitting stitch), then if you choose to, progress further. There are loads of online tutorials on YouTube. I'd try to find one which is filmed as if the knitter is behind the knitting, rather than facing you. Hope that makes sense - it's as if the person doing the knitting on the video is actually you, so everything is the right way round. Do let us know how you're getting on too! xx

Kim19 Sun 01-Aug-21 13:00:31

I've always believed in 'never too old' but I'm having serious difficulty in managing to cycle again. I've just been given a lovely bike and admit to struggling with it. Yes, it's been a while but I was a pretty proficient cyclist on racers and uprights. Whatever happened to 'it's just like riding a bike'? I think I've become more nervous with each attempt and that's not helping. Can't understand any of it.

Doodledog Sun 01-Aug-21 12:58:30

We learned to knit in primary school too. I made a pixie hood (basically a rectangle with a chin strap attached, and a seam up the back). The boys made pot holders (for pan handles, not their cannabis stashes).

I remember being unable to turn the knitting round when I got to the end of the row, and having to join the queue at Mrs Scott's desk for her to do it for me and put the needle back into the first loop on the needle ?. She would patiently pick up any dropped stitches and count the loops on the needle at the same time.

It must have required the patience of Job to teach 28 seven year olds to knit all at once, but I'm so pleased she did.

nanna8 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:50:21

I knit all the time but when we knitted at primary school I was hopeless. They got us knitting dish cloths and mine were always loopy and I didn’t know to knit into the backs of loops for the first row. Funny enough, the boys were better at it than the girls then, they had more patience. Actually when I think of it, my friend is really good at sewing, better than me . He was a carpenter and says it is similar. I like to sew but I also like to finish things quickly.

Omasweetie Sun 01-Aug-21 12:45:23

I’ve got arthritis in my fingers does anyone know if knitting or crochet will help. I can’t do either but am willing to learn.

Pollyj Sun 01-Aug-21 12:18:49

You are never too old to learn anything. I am learning a language and thinking of doing a course and someone said 'What for? You're not going to be using it or making a career of it now.' Sheesh. Why can't I just do it for fun and to stay sharp?

Get knitting, and post a photo of your first completed thing.

Savvy Sat 31-Jul-21 22:54:39

Greciangirl

I can knit, but I can’t follow patterns.

And for some reason I couldn’t get the hang of crochet.

Pity, because I need to do something with my fidgety hands.

Have you considered weaving, or embroidery?

Greciangirl Sat 31-Jul-21 16:30:01

I can knit, but I can’t follow patterns.

And for some reason I couldn’t get the hang of crochet.

Pity, because I need to do something with my fidgety hands.

Kayteetay1 Fri 30-Jul-21 22:19:59

Absolutely Not! I’m also 57 and have spent the last few months teaching myself to knit And crochet via YouTube and several simple guide books! I’m only doing fairly basic items but finding it so therapeutic. Give it a whirl and hope you enjoy it as much as me!

grannybuy Fri 30-Jul-21 20:33:04

Go for it! I have a fair stash of yarn, and said when I retired that I’d have to live a long time to use it up! That was thirteen years ago, and I still haven’t used it all, though to be honest, I have added to it! Knitting and crochet is addictive. As others have suggested, begin with double knitting and 4mm needles, and don’t buy expensive yarn to begin with. Enjoy.

Callistemon Fri 30-Jul-21 19:56:59

Its never too late to learn something new as long as there are no physical barriers to what you are wanting to try. Well maybe not rock climbing...

Tried that but I was a lot younger.
Never, ever again!

Missiseff Fri 30-Jul-21 19:44:56

I hate that question - Am I too old to...
You're never too old for anything. You're a long time dead.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 30-Jul-21 19:22:41

Its never too late to learn something new as long as there are no physical barriers to what you are wanting to try. Well maybe not rock climbing...

I returned to knitting a while ago and bought a little kit from Hobbycraft to make a hat and fingerless mittens, so that might be a way to start off. If that is still available it wasn't a circular pattern, just one which was sewn up on completion.

I taught myself to crochet a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoy that.

3dognight Fri 30-Jul-21 18:58:28

Well our library has a group once a week for all abilities, maybe yours has?
My mum was a knitter- it stopped her biting her nails. I’m more of a wellies and get my hands in the soil type.

ayse Fri 30-Jul-21 18:51:23

Doodledog

Callistemon

I have come to like circular needles too.
But I find crocheta bit easier on the hands and wrists

I have never managed to get the hang of crochet. I default to trying to knit with the hook grin

I just can’t get the hang of crochet but after reading all of your messages, I think I’ll have another try.

Knitting is something I can do and I’d really like to knit woolly socks with wool not acrylic as I have cold feet in winter. Anyone got any good tips especially any links to UTube video. Years ago Mum tried to teach me but to no avail.

Kim19 Fri 30-Jul-21 18:41:01

Slow is fine. Many older people have time to spare. Success is king. Bootees? Blimey, I think they're a bit intricate for beginners. Well done you!

Kryptonite Fri 30-Jul-21 18:23:08

YouTube taught me how to knit a pair of boottees and mittens for my first grandchild. So proud of them. But I am slow!

Ethelwashere1 Fri 30-Jul-21 15:18:46

No one is too old to knit. You can start off simple like knitting squares for a blanket then progress to more complicated items. The good points are that you can pick it up and put it down when you feel like it. You will also have an individual item as no one knits the same and you can mix and match colours and patterns

Flexagon Fri 30-Jul-21 15:12:30

Callistemon

Kim19

Think I'd prefer revelry myself!

After the struggle I had to get into Ravelry this morning, (it was all unravelling fast), ending up having to re-register I think I could do with some revelry too!

???

What would Woolly Revels be? Wool and chocolate? Cue Julie Andrews.

Back to Woolly Ravelry - Tin Can Knits - Flax is the easy, top down seamless sweater - free pattern - loads of sizes from baby to Greg Davies. A good Knit for Peace project.

Callistemon Fri 30-Jul-21 14:45:54

Kim19

Think I'd prefer revelry myself!

After the struggle I had to get into Ravelry this morning, (it was all unravelling fast), ending up having to re-register I think I could do with some revelry too!

???

Vintagegirl Fri 30-Jul-21 13:58:16

I have made some simple rugs from sewn up squares. I lined them with velour for extra cosiness. But with help of Youtube, I have mastered 'granny squares' and they make up into a much nicer rug. In lockdown, I resorted to getting crochet hooks and wool online. The crochet has persisted and it is nice to have some project on the go that can be done at same time as watching TV/playing online game etc. I would also recommend getting some decent yarn to get started as the cheaper ones do not handle so well, maybe for later when you are up and running. Now I am still thinking of getting a keyboard and learning piano!

Cymres1 Fri 30-Jul-21 13:52:51

A girl in school taught me the basics 50+years ago and I still have a little thing in my head of "through, round, under and off". Go for it, and the other GN'ers have come up with some excellent suggestions. Go on, and enjoy your new hobby.