Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Finally finished my ‘mongrel’ robin wreath

(42 Posts)
Witzend Fri 01-Oct-21 17:58:12

Sundry bits of it have been lying around for ages. I say ‘mongrel’ because wreath, robins and holly were all from different patterns. The actual wreath was the least fiddly bit!

It will probably go to Gdcs’ school fair raffle in late November, if they would like it.

travelsafar Sat 02-Oct-21 09:55:52

Witzend wish this had been a pattern that you could have posted on here, would have loved to have a go as i think it's beautiful!!!

Witzend Sat 02-Oct-21 11:31:41

Thank you, Early - those scarves are great for stashbusting, aren’t they? Especially for small oddments that wouldn’t be much use for anything else.

A while ago I started a blanket using the same method, but it ended up as a shawl instead.

With a mega stash still to go, I’m now using the same principle for a blanket for K for P, but with random double strands of DK and on a 4.5 mm (IIRC) circular needle, and 240 sts instead of 280, so quicker to knit and a warmer end result. Will do it in 3 x 2 foot sections and join.

That project is reserved for thoroughly mindless TV knitting - no need to concentrate on counting stitches or rows! I’ve only done about 8 inches so far though.

justwokeup Sat 02-Oct-21 11:41:35

That is really lovely and beautifully finished. You’re an inspiration to complete the ‘easy’ hmm jersey child’s dress I’m sewing before I knit a matching cardigan. Keep all the mongrel patterns because people are going to ask you to knit one for them!

Witzend Sat 02-Oct-21 11:47:15

travelsafar

Witzend wish this had been a pattern that you could have posted on here, would have loved to have a go as i think it's beautiful!!!

If you’re really interested, travelsafar, I found the actual wreath pattern on the Lovecrafts website (downloadable pattern) which comes up under ‘Christmas wreath’. You will know it because it’s also green, and decorated with a decidedly scary looking elf! And some mice IIRC. The wreath pattern is v good though, quite quick and simple to knit in 2 strands of DK.

The holly is in Jean Greenhowe’s Christmas Special booklet (my copy is starting to fall to bits!) and the robin pattern is in Alan Dart’s Sirdar Advent calendar booklet (a big one, it’s a huge project) which I happened to have anyway, but I dare say a mini robin pattern could be found more cheaply elsewhere.

Early Sat 02-Oct-21 11:49:13

I love how the scarves turned out Witzend. I ran the odd row of black and white through and they looked like Licorice Allsorts.

My really mindless blanket knit is Stephen West's Garter Squish blanket with an i-cord edge that you knit as you go. Free pattern on Ravelry but all it is is CO 126 sts. K123, sl3 wyif on 10mm needles using DK yarn double.

I use a strand of a brighter colour with a strand of a neutral to give a marled effect rather than bright blocks of colour but you could do that too.

"Tis the season to be knitting or crocheting blankets that keep you warm too as you make them. smile

JaneJudge Sat 02-Oct-21 11:50:28

It is so cute smile

Witzend Sat 02-Oct-21 11:51:00

(For travelsafar) this is the wreath pattern BTW.

Birdie1 Sat 02-Oct-21 11:52:19

That’s really creative and it’s very cute - l would be very happy to win that in a raffle ?

allsortsofbags Sat 02-Oct-21 11:55:12

Lovely. I'd be very proud of myself if I'd made such a lovely wreath.

I'd buy it :-)

LindaPat Sat 02-Oct-21 12:06:36

I love your wreath Witzend, very festive without being garish. I may have a go at that.
Having said that- I love Lucy from Attic24! I've followed her posts for years, and even taught myself to crochet from one of her tutorials ( I'm a knitter, not a crocheter ). Her photos are amazing, and her use of colour is joyful!
Take care x

Witzend Sat 02-Oct-21 12:24:45

For anyone interested in such things, I’ve previously used that same wreath pattern for a snowman version - also for Gdcs’ school fair. Snowman pattern is another in the good old JG Christmas Special booklet.

Elless Sat 02-Oct-21 12:46:43

Wow they are beautiful Witzend you definitely should be selling them on Etsy. I was going to ask for the pattern so thanks Travelsafar - looking it up now.

ayse Sat 02-Oct-21 12:50:35

Pedigree definitely ??

Elless Sat 02-Oct-21 12:56:54

Whilst on the subject, does anyone know if anybody knits people that I could contact? I know it sounds daft but on the DFS advert they use knitted people characters and one of them looks just like my son grin and I'd love to get one made to give to his girlfriend.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 02-Oct-21 16:13:29

It's beautiful Witzend.

H1954 Sat 02-Oct-21 16:18:15

I'm sure the school raffle organisers will love to have it! It's brilliant!