Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

3D boxes

(43 Posts)
ginny Mon 04-Oct-21 09:57:21

I have just made these as small gifts / cards . Easy but very effective.

Notagranyet1234 Wed 06-Oct-21 20:04:38

I have made Christmas cakes one year, then bags of fudge and Florentines, then fruit gins (before they were a thing) for all my neighbours and work friends but having changed jobs just before Covid and now working back in the health care sector, free time is but a memory. Everyone's efforts are so creative though I may try again this year

NannieAnnie64 Wed 06-Oct-21 19:52:57

What an extra special gift. Lovely.

Daftbag1 Wed 06-Oct-21 19:44:37

I often give gifts that I sew, as well as sweety wreaths for the surgery etc. As well as one on our door for the postman and other people who come to our door.

Newatthis Wed 06-Oct-21 12:46:00

These are lovely but I don't like receiving 'Christmassy' gifts at Christmas, especially if the giver has gone to so much trouble and time to make them because they only have a short life then have to be put away for a year.

lizzypopbottle Wed 06-Oct-21 12:20:18

Homemade is for cooking. Handmade is for crafts. Just saying...

greenlady102 Wed 06-Oct-21 11:28:55

Nannan2

I keep on knitting the bed size blankets out of super chunky wool! I made a smaller 'practice' one first which son (then 16) put on top of his duvet in cold weather- but then other son wanted one so i knitted him a full single bed size in first lockdown, then youngest daughter wanted one so i did her one, but took longer- it was longer& wider than her brothers so probably a 3 quarter bed size (dont seem to do that bed size anymore!) And i did her a lovely thick scarf too,all in time for last christmas! I knit them all in one piece.Now I've started a proper single size for youngest son (now 18) by first unpicking old one to re-use wool (must have taken them ages in the war, all that unpicking & re-knitting!) So ill have to get a move on or he won't get it by xmas! They're lovely & warm though, i missed having them spread over me as i knitted!? I might do myself one next!

It wasn't just the war, i can remember my mother doing this and teaching us kids to do it....we thought the unravelling was huge fun and learned how to wind a skein with a bent elbow and the wool running between thumb and index finger. She would then wash and drip dry the skeins to get the kinks out.

greenlady102 Wed 06-Oct-21 11:26:06

FannyCornforth

greenlady102

I made these a couple of years ago

greenlady how did you get the lights in the lid?
Thank you!

the lights are these. You glue them round the inside of the lid within the lip, I used hot glue, then lead the wire out leaving some slack, and I used the velcro command strips to fix the battery box to the top of the lid (so it can be lifted off to change the batteries. I trimmed round the edge of the lid with dollhouse holly garland hot glued on. www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Operated-Waterproof-Christmas-Decoration/dp/B08GWNCCW4/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=led+battery+lights+indoor+flat+battery&qsid=257-4733391-7961738&sres=B092QN869T%2CB07X7FLGJJ%2CB097YD86QG%2CB09D3D4242%2CB08NB1HF9N%2CB0932RLD1V%2CB085M25C7K%2CB085RZT6RR%2CB09DVGW3SZ%2CB07S88K263%2CB08GWNCCW4%2CB0912JPWP1%2CB093C95131%2CB07CPX5RZL%2CB08FSQDRJX%2CB098KZVLFX%2CB08TC7294M%2CB08MDD4KRJ%2CB09DQ6VLMR%2CB08F9VJVGB&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1633515914&sr=8-15

Nannan2 Wed 06-Oct-21 11:01:05

I keep on knitting the bed size blankets out of super chunky wool! I made a smaller 'practice' one first which son (then 16) put on top of his duvet in cold weather- but then other son wanted one so i knitted him a full single bed size in first lockdown, then youngest daughter wanted one so i did her one, but took longer- it was longer& wider than her brothers so probably a 3 quarter bed size (dont seem to do that bed size anymore!) And i did her a lovely thick scarf too,all in time for last christmas! I knit them all in one piece.Now I've started a proper single size for youngest son (now 18) by first unpicking old one to re-use wool (must have taken them ages in the war, all that unpicking & re-knitting!) So ill have to get a move on or he won't get it by xmas! They're lovely & warm though, i missed having them spread over me as i knitted!? I might do myself one next!

Caztown15 Wed 06-Oct-21 10:53:36

What a great idea. Love it. I am very arty but never sure if family and friends really want my homemade efforts.

Happysexagenarian Tue 05-Oct-21 23:44:10

Ginny your scenic boxes are just beautiful, I'd be delighted to receive one for Christmas. There are some very talented GNers here!

win Tue 05-Oct-21 21:43:28

I just love home made presents & cards, so very special instead of expensive bought cards & presents. The very best present is a homemade card with a voucher promising 1 visit per month throughout the year, doing something helpful at each visit. Just love that present.

GrandmaCornwall Tue 05-Oct-21 20:38:47

What lovely ideas, those who feel they can’t make something crafty, a baked gift is a good idea.
My nephews and nieces still remember a homemade gift I made them when they were tiny, a bag of biscuit mix already measured out, a cookie cutter and wooden spoon tied to the bag wrapped up in an aprons with their initials stitched on.
I did go the extra mile and ‘wrote’ a short story to go with it. I rejigged the Gingerbread man to include their names.
They still remember the gifts and so did my sister as it kept them busy for a while.

valdali Tue 05-Oct-21 20:32:16

I made a "january pick me up" which is like a reverse advent calendar - little pockets with numbers on for every day in january. Then fill with couple of chocs, a mini book, pop socks, a page of jokes, a homemade personalised crossword, cute pincushion etc, mini-marmalade, quiz. Not for children but for my in-laws who were finding life a bit dull as they were less mobile, and january can be a bit hard to get through. They returned it & I did the same next year. Last year I gave it to my mum, who is very active but was isolating and fed-up.Difficult to find enough small treats, but was thoroughly enjoyed by them all.

readalot Tue 05-Oct-21 18:29:17

Ayse, your Dragon box is lovely as are the other items on here. I usually make a Xmas cake for a present

Amberone Tue 05-Oct-21 15:51:11

Some talented grans on here! I just don't have the imagination to make things like cards ? Not that I can't make them but they always look like a ten year old made them. And I can't write verse either, unlike my SisInLaw who makes beautiful ones and adds her own verses and they are always a joy to receive.

Rosalyn69 Tue 05-Oct-21 15:19:50

So creative. Lovely gifts.
The best I can manage is a crochet blanket for my son and DIL. A Christmas tradition.

Toddleo Tue 05-Oct-21 14:50:19

Ayse that is fabulous

ayse Tue 05-Oct-21 13:50:38

I made a dragon box fro my younger grandson last Christmas. DD told me that my older grandson really liked it so. I’ve made him one this year

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 05-Oct-21 13:45:15

Ginny, they are lovely - you've inspired me.
A group of friends and I agreed , years ago, to exchange gifts with a limit of £5, and/or homemade. It keeps down the cost, and makes everyone think! Mine are forced hyacinths and a little homemade tipple, but next year, maybe your idea ( hompe it's OK to steal ideas from other grans...)

Gabrielle56 Tue 05-Oct-21 13:17:47

The best of British, they have so many things it's impossible to choose, be strong!

Gabrielle56 Tue 05-Oct-21 13:13:54

Ooh ! These are just delightful! I just love homemade Christmas gifts and cards. I always make my own cards and make up funny verse too everyone loves them and it's so good to give a bit of yourself to those you care about.

Smurf52 Tue 05-Oct-21 13:07:42

They are gorgeous ginny. If you can make them to order, name your price.

GandT Tue 05-Oct-21 12:47:56

I'm hoping to make 'sugar plum fairy Xmas jelly' for local friends. My DD made it for the family last year and it was a great treat. It's a GH recipe.

jocork Tue 05-Oct-21 12:46:10

I love making home-made gifts but am careful to give to those who will appreciate them. I'm making a fabric alphabet book for my grandson at present. It wasn't finished in time for his first birthday - 14 of the 26 pages done so far - so he's getting it a bit late. Thankfully he's too young to know. Probably need to do some more work on it rather than wasting time spending so much time on gransnet!

FannyCornforth Tue 05-Oct-21 12:37:35

Sorry - I can see now, the switch is on the top.
Those boxes look great ginny.
I can imagine that you can put lots of different things in. I might make some for the bathroom.
Thank you for mentioning them!