Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Kid's crafts ideas

(42 Posts)
Newatthis Sat 06-Nov-21 16:25:52

At last I am seeing my granddaughters after 2 years (they live overseas) and I will be spending an extended stay with them. I am an 'all rounder' as far as crafts are concerned and I know the eldest (she's 4 years old) loves making things. The other little one is only 20 months so a little young but I would like to involve her too. It's a long time since I have done anything with little ones - any ideas for quick and simple arty crafty things?

GeeGee12 Sat 06-Nov-21 16:56:33

Hello Newatthis. You can not go far wrong with stickers. If you are seeing them before Christmas you could get some card blanks and they could make their own C cards for mummy and daddy and grandparents etc. Good luck ?

Calmlocket Sat 06-Nov-21 17:02:16

The works do craft packs which have everything you need in one bag.

www.theworks.co.uk/p/craft-embellishments/giant-bag-of-assorted-craft/5052089279445.html

Elizabeth27 Sat 06-Nov-21 17:07:09

Salt dough is good for all ages, even the little one could make something or just enjoy playing with it. They could both be involved with the making of the dough.

V3ra Sat 06-Nov-21 17:21:00

nurturestore.co.uk/make-chinese-lanterns

These are easy to make. Decorate the card before you make the cuts, put stickers along the edges, or a bit of glue and glitter is always popular.

Chewbacca Sat 06-Nov-21 17:28:29

The Works have a fabulous variety of crafts, suitable for all ages. The last activity I got from there were these wooden boxes; they come in all shapes and sizes and start at £1.00. They can be painted, stick on jewels, sequins, glitter, decoupage from old magazines, Sharpie penned with their names on etc. And at the end, they have a little box to take home and keep for their treasures. Cannot fail! An afternoons entertainment for a couple of pounds.

MamaCaz Sat 06-Nov-21 17:32:30

My three year old gd likes to make playdough with me, then play with it. Plenty of simple, free recipes for it online.

MamaCaz Sat 06-Nov-21 18:53:08

Make pasta necklaces? The dgc can maybe colour the pasta first, either by 'dying' it with food colouring, or by painting individual pieces of pasta.

LullyDully Sat 06-Nov-21 19:43:28

One year we bought some coloured foam sheets from the Works. My granddaughter folded them and sewed them roughly to make glasses cases and purses as Christmas presents. She decorated them with bits and bobs. My husband still keeps his in his bedside drawer....She is 16 but was 4/5 when she made them.

VioletSky Sat 06-Nov-21 19:54:09

These are fun to do and make really nice gifts for Christmas

www.messylittlemonster.com/2014/12/santa-handprint-ornaments-using-salt.html?m=1

midgey Sat 06-Nov-21 20:20:35

Cornflour paste, it is so satisfying to play with….and not that messy….really! Also shaving foam is glorious to play with!

Blondiescot Sat 06-Nov-21 20:26:01

midgey

Cornflour paste, it is so satisfying to play with….and not that messy….really! Also shaving foam is glorious to play with!

I was just about to post about the shaving foam - the kids at our ASN playgroup love it!

Calistemon Sat 06-Nov-21 20:26:16

Thanks Chewbacca
I need some ideas for someone who will soon be in double figures and loves drawing, artwork etc.

Witzend Sat 06-Nov-21 22:01:51

If you’re going for Christmas, the 4 year old might like to make paper chains. I’ve bought them online for Gdcs.

Otherwise I’d second playdoh, with some pastry cutters in different shapes - plenty are available online, plastic is better for very little ones. My Gdd when very little loved making ‘cakes’ with playdoh. A child’s rolling pin was popular, too.

Calistemon Sat 06-Nov-21 22:54:53

Just looked on The Works website for something for DGD and got sidetracked by the yarn, Witzend

Esspee Sat 06-Nov-21 23:11:04

For the younger one you can get picture cards with pictures on e.g. boat, tree, house with holes round the edge of the motif and a long shoelace to “sew” the picture while for the older one you can get felt kits of differing difficulty to sew an item, e.g. bird, star, perhaps for Christmas decorations.
There are shops in the US absolutely packed with craft items. Don’t go shopping here this close to your ✈️. Stay safe and enjoy the trip.

Grannynannywanny Sat 06-Nov-21 23:11:34

One of the favourite pastimes when my grandchildren were small was to sit at the kitchen table with a set of water paints, a paintbrush and a white dinner plate from the kitchen cupboard.

They loved painting on the plates. Anything from a 2 yr old painting a funny face to the older ones doing more elaborate designs. A little washing up liquid and warm water and the plates are restored to normal.

Calistemon Sat 06-Nov-21 23:14:07

while for the older one you can get felt kits of differing difficulty to sew an item, e.g. bird, star, perhaps for Christmas decorations.
You can buy puppets with pre-punched holes to sew then they can put on puppet shows for the whole family.
Over and over again ?

Hobbycraft have lots of craft items for children.

Doodledog Sat 06-Nov-21 23:16:03

If there is time to order them, Toucan Boxes are great. They send craft boxes themed for the time of year, and you can opt for every fortnight or once a month.

I got them for my niece and nephew, and they loved them. They might be a bit too advanced for the 20 month old, but you can check out the website and see.

teabagwoman Sun 07-Nov-21 06:59:44

Reading this thread with interest and noting down ideas. My dd and I are dyspraxic so craft didn’t feature much in our lives but dgd inherited her father’s genes and loves making things. I sometimes do it with her and find it surprisingly relaxing but then she’s always amazed that Nana can produce anything at all! I’m a big fan of paper plates, they can be used in so many ways and always have a stock of lolly sticks and pipe cleaners.

MamaCaz Sun 07-Nov-21 07:49:31

Don't forget about cardboard boxes.

I gather you are going to be travelling to see the dgd, so might not be able to take any with you, but if the parents start putting aside boxes of different sizes for you now, the possibilities of what you and the dgd will be able to make together are endless,starting from the simplest houses and robots ...

PamelaJ1 Sun 07-Nov-21 07:58:49

Pom poms,

Iam64 Sun 07-Nov-21 08:23:43

If you have Hobby Craft or The Range, both stores have a wide range of craft materials, not silly prices either

Witzend Sun 07-Nov-21 09:28:09

Calistemon

Just looked on The Works website for something for DGD and got sidetracked by the yarn, Witzend

??

Newatthis Mon 08-Nov-21 15:41:40

Sounds fantastic everyone. I can't take anything with me but I know there will be lots of craft shops there. What do you do with cornflour paste?