Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting a cardigan/ jacket without a pattern

(13 Posts)
Allsorts Thu 30-Dec-21 07:05:29

I want to start a knitting project, despite looking on line cannot find what I’m looking for. It’s a simple stroller type cardigan, I want to size up so it covers my jumpers and I can wear it with jeans, have any of you taken bits and bobs from other patterns to design your own? I have roughly worked out the quantity needed plus 10%. It could be a masterpiece or have to be unpicked as the first jumper I did in lockdown went round me almost twice, so I gave it to the charity shop as I couldn’t bear the thought if unpicking all that effort.

Nannagarra Thu 30-Dec-21 07:10:23

Have you looked on Ravelry?

LadyGracie Thu 30-Dec-21 08:53:53

There are plenty of free knitting patterns on Lovecraft site, I get all mine there.

Hetty58 Thu 30-Dec-21 09:14:51

Yes, there's loads of patterns online. Have something that's about the right size (any old cardigan) to hand, then you can compare sizes, often, as you knit. I regularly just knit freehand but, then, I've done it for a very long time.

MiniMoon Thu 30-Dec-21 11:27:34

There are loads of tutorials on YouTube.
I'd love to see the finished garment. Have a go, good luck.

Doodledog Thu 30-Dec-21 11:38:30

If you don't know what you're doing, I wouldn't advise working without a pattern.

It can be done, but you need a thorough understanding of how knitting works. Elizabeth Zimmerman has written a number of books with 'recipes', as opposed to patterns. You might find one of those useful. Also, the Vogue Ultimate Knitting Book has instructions on things like types of sleeves, necklines and so on, so that you can add them to a pattern of your own.

Otherwise, I would also go to Ravelry grin. There are tens of thousands of patterns on there, as well as photos of garments made in different yarns from the same patterns to give you an idea of how they will turn out.

hugshelp Sat 01-Jan-22 17:30:59

I do, but there's a fair bit of maths involved and you absolutely need to knit a gauge swatch. Unless you've already knitted a good few garments I wouldn't recommend it.

If you simply want to upsize the pattern, it can be easier to knit the pattern as is but using a gauge which will translate the size up, normally by using a bigger needle. But you absolutely need to swatch and work out the percentage increase and bear in mind how it will affect the shaping of armholes, positioning of pockets etc. If you're only adding length to body and sleeves the addition of rows is simple enough.

As others have said, loads on Ravelery, I'm sure finding one that works on there would be easier.

oliversnana Tue 04-Jan-22 20:07:00

Try a website called drops all its patterns are free

Doodledog Wed 05-Jan-22 00:17:04

In my experience, Drops patterns are also very badly written, though.

I don't know that it's the cost of a pattern that's putting the OP off. Actually I don't really know what the problem is, other than finding the right pattern.

I made this one, which worked very well. Is that the sort of thing you want? Just make it a size or two bigger, so you can wear it over your clothes.

Rosie51 Wed 05-Jan-22 00:38:12

Oh I like that Doodledog. May I ask what yarn brand you used?

Doodledog Wed 05-Jan-22 02:01:45

I used a colourmart one. Their yarns are not the same as commercial ones, as they get ‘mill ends’ (ie the last bits of enormous quantities of yarn that usually goes to make clothing) and sell it on. They use NM numbers rather than terms like aran or double knitting, which can be confusing until you get your head around it, but I’m happy to help if you see something you like.

If you aren’t familiar with them, go and check them out at Colourmart.com. You get a 20% discount on your first purchase too. They change the stock all the time, but I used an aran weight cashmere for mine. I’ll have a look tomorrow and find the exact one, but it’s unlikely that it will be in stock now. There will be others though.

Rosie51 Wed 05-Jan-22 10:55:31

Thanks for that Doodledog, I've bookmarked the site for a good look around later.

Doodledog Wed 05-Jan-22 13:12:24

Give me a shout if you need help translating the numbers into something more recognisable?

They use terms like DK and Fingering as guidelines, but their yarns tend to be finer than usual. There is a bit of an art to knitting with them - a lot of people get them to twist two yarns together, for instance - but when you get used to it it is addictive. I use their stuff all the time these days.