Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

knitting and crochet, nattering and sharing

(346 Posts)
karmalady Sun 09-Jan-22 08:09:00

I own up to being an old hand at knitting, I can knit fast and evenly but have learnt very many new skills, such as knitting top down jumpers, short rows, circular needles. My crocheting skills are very basic, just about enough for a simple blanket or an edging.

I love knitting but it is solitary, nice and cosy while watching a tv film, there must be thousands in a similar boat. I am going to try with a dedicated group on GN. It`ll be up to us, sink or swim

Witzend Fri 11-Aug-23 09:11:53

Whiff

My daughter saw this in Weymouth. Thought you might like it.

I love that! Must bring a smile to many passers-by.

Witzend Fri 11-Aug-23 09:10:41

I’m using a long, fat circular needle to knit (flat) a big rainbow blanket with one strand of chunky and one of DK, in 3 roughly 2 foot sections.
All garter st, ball of chunky used until used up, but different colour of DK each row. Ends knotted together and eventually made into tassels and trimmed.

However I haven’t touched it for months, too busy with other projects! First section only just about finished. Thought it’d be a really good stash buster but my stash has grown hugely anyway, yarn needed for other things.
Good TV knitting though, zero concentration needed.

Whiff Fri 11-Aug-23 06:58:59

Didn't mean to post the bag.

Whiff Fri 11-Aug-23 06:57:53

One of my friends at craft group saw these in line thought you might like them.

Whiff Wed 26-Jul-23 04:24:31

My daughter saw this in Weymouth. Thought you might like it.

DamaskRose Sun 02-Jul-23 22:59:06

I recently made a ranunculus jumper in Drops Belle which is a cotton yarn. I can’t wear wool and wanted this jumper as a slipover so did the sleeveless version. Can anyone help me with the best way to block cotton yarn please. Thankyou in advance!

karmalady Mon 26-Jun-23 08:52:12

last post, for today

with the yarn leftovers, around 240g, I have done the ravelry searches and have found kuzucardigan. Bought it, printed it and will keep with the yarn because otherwise I forget what the yarn will be for

I will have more than enough and will make a bit larger than reality as I have no intention of aggressive blocking. No gauge square needed, same gauge as boardwalk

karmalady Mon 26-Jun-23 08:23:01

boardwalk is by Heidi Kirrmaier

karmalady Mon 26-Jun-23 06:50:47

That photo is beautiful whiff. Cheery and brings a smile to all

karmalady Mon 26-Jun-23 06:49:07

I want to recommed a pattern, which I have just finished.

I had a cone of cashmere from colourmart over 6 years ago, fingering weight, it was a 420g cone and my top only took 145g. Colourmart cones are basic ie for machines and for professional makers. They are not skeins and are often oiled. Swatches need to be made and washed. I actually made skeins, then washed properly and took a chance on the gauge

I made boardwalk (ravelry) it is a very lovely slipover top. Very easy to make and obviously lightweight in the cashmere. Fits beautifully and one I will make again. It is going to extend my wardrobe a lot, allowing more use of shirts and tops

At the moment I am making a peabody again, I have been busy for months, making a jumper weight of yarn from spinning fibre, using up various colours of stash. I made 3 ply, which in spinning terms is three fine strands plied together and have got what I wanted, a sport/aran weight

lixy Sun 30-Apr-23 20:54:56

Wow Whiff that's a labour of love. Top work!

Whiff Fri 28-Apr-23 07:11:07

Saw this on my local post box yesterday.

karmalady Tue 25-Apr-23 18:24:52

Very many years ago I bought some coned yarns from colourmart, they are very good quality yarns and most are fairly industrial ie oiled. I sorted them all out a few months ago, the hard way ie skeined them all and washed and line dried. I caked one cashmere cone and have 420g. They all seem to be much more expensive now but everything has gone up

Not enough for a jumper and I don`t need another shawl etc so have been on a hunting misssion on ravelry. I found a vest pattern that I really like and it is for layering. Called boardwalk by heidi kirrmaier/brookly tweed. I can see me making this more than once and my dd has been asking me if I have any hand knitted vests so certainly another one for her in a smaller size

By some miracle, I have gauge, in width and almost in length. I have printed the pattern and ready for off. This is using stash and yes yarn chicken again but no sleeves at all. I like the side splits btw and the neat pattern at the top

karmalady Mon 24-Apr-23 13:07:17

Finished breslin this morning, a few inches of the blue yarn left. Imagine, ice blue all around body and sleeves, to half way up. Rest in barley colour and a few rows of the blue around the neck, which drew it all together. Its beautiful.

Breslin is a ravelry pattern, a female gansey and I have made two now in 4 ply. Latest is merino/bfl blend and heart in mouth I washed it inside out on wool/hand wash on my (miele) machine. I did once see the gentle rocking motion, not a felting motion like the delicate cycle. It is drying flat now and will need hand pressing with overhead steam later because of the frogging. It washed beautifully

I will be spinning yarn for a while now, rather than knitting

lixy Fri 14-Apr-23 10:45:16

Couldn't find a four-leaved clover, so this'll have to do! shamrock Good luck!
Nit entirely sure what a Breslin is - a google search showed a range from strappy top to pullover. I guess yours is a pullover?

I have finished the second of the four row pattern scarves and am really pleased with them both. They are now stashed away ready for Christmas.
My GD inspected my wool the other day and declared that I need to use some up before I buy any more. So I'm making a metre square blanket for my knitting group's project. Easy knitting. I'll have to find something smaller for the train though, so maybe some mittens and hats to match the scarves - but that would mean buying more wool, oh dear, what a shame!!

karmalady Fri 14-Apr-23 10:24:32

primrose, socks are also so good as gifts. The recipient may not realise until they start to wear hand made socks and then come the requests to make more grin

A dd asked me for any spare woollens that I had made, suddenly she has found the benefits and quality of hand mades. I passed on a few things but only one top for her to slip on and cover her back and neck, I had made it in merino that I had spun years ago, so it was chunky. It never left her back the whole time I was there. I need my time these days to knit woollen jumpers for myself

I have been spending time on playing yarn chicken with the two colours of frogged 4 ply. Taken it out once again but have decided to make another breslin. I have done sleeves and front/back up only to the start of the pattern and am hoping to completely use up the ash blue colour in the first few rows of pattern, using my scales to divide evenly for the small amount left.

After that I go onto the colour barley and I know my heart will be in my mouth. I have decided to fully complete front/back in barley ie pattern and neck and then yarn chicken comes in, touch and go whether I will be able to finish the sleeve pattern or not. What sets my mind at rest is that I could go colour 3 and likely a pink as the jumper is yarn blocked anyway, that would be only the full pattern on sleeves. It is certainly making me knit faster, I want to know. It has been quite handy that the pattern starts roughly half way up

Wish me luck

Primrose53 Sat 25-Mar-23 16:37:14

I have knitted a few dozen pairs of socks and they are very relaxing to make and my family love them.

I love crocheting and have made several big throws using patterns by Jane Crowfoot, Helen Shrimpton and a few I have made up myself. I love colour so they are all bright and cheerful.

lixy Mon 20-Mar-23 13:48:36

Oh gosh, karmalady I had no idea - scary place this internet.

I have finished the wavy patterned scarf (but not the train travelling yet so there's another one on the go...). I used Hayfield Spirit DK and the slightly wider pattern so cast on 52.
It came out at 51 inches/130cm so long enough to go round neck and back across shoulders. I hope my daughter likes it as part of her birthday present. The second one will be for my DiL.
Thanks again for the pattern.

Nannagarra Fri 17-Mar-23 08:37:08

karmalady

I have been looking up my most favourite circulars for sock knitting, they are very difficult to source but I had them from wild and woolly. I have various makes of sock circulars and use circulars plus dpns for the heel and toe

These are beautiful on my hands and yarn, the longest needle in the right hand, by kinki amibari

I only have the 2mm and 2.25 and always seem to be using just the 2mm as I am a loose knitter. I always but always have socks on the go, very handy to carry with me

www.wildandwoollyshop.co.uk/shop/needles/circular-knitting-needles/kinki-amibari-bamboo-asymmetric-circulars/

Thank you karmalady; these might be just what I’ve been searching for if they have fixed tips.

karmalady Fri 17-Mar-23 07:39:21

Please be aware that posting a ravelry link can open up your rav site to access library, items purchased, messages and all personal info, unless you log out of rav. Hence I asked to get so many of my posts deleted. GN have been excellent in doing this

In future I will just mention a specific pattern on rav without a link. I was only aware of this potential for data breach after my family whatsapp and 3 very experienced AC discussing a potential data breach and consequences, elsewhere

Sorry to have messed up the thread somewhat

The last post was about me finishing the jumper with home spun frogged yarn, jumper was 8 years old and worn once as was too short. I found some extra balls and re-made it, longer. It is peabody by leila raven. I lovely knit and a slightly shaped feminine garment

karmalady Tue 14-Mar-23 11:10:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lixy Sat 11-Mar-23 21:19:26

Oh goodness karmalady that sounds like a brilliant idea.
I'm nowhere near accomplished enough to attempt lace knitting but I do lose my way in ordinary patterns sometimes.

Your idea reminded me that I used to use a piece of card with a long, thin rectangle cut out, like a small, open letter box to help young children keep their place when starting to read paragraphs.
Maybe I could make something similar to help keep on track through a pattern!

karmalady Wed 08-Mar-23 19:15:38

something to share. I am in process of knitting a jumper with a lace panel, there are 36 rows on the chart and it is so difficult to see my place.

Light bulb moment: magentic board that holds charts and 2 magnetic strips but not flat which was also hard to read. I have a music stand and put the board on that this evening. It is perfect, absolutely perfect. I can sit back now and knit lace withought having to count and re-count. I have one strip above the row and the other below and it stands at eye height

pen50 Fri 03-Mar-23 14:48:43

I like Hiyahiya fixed circulars for sock knitting - very sharp. I knit holding the working yarn in my left hand - semicontinental style - two socks at a time on two circular needles; avoids second sock syndrome and allows me to check that patterns on self striping yarns are lining up properly. All self-taught in my fifties, but it hasn't half speeded up my knitting!

pen50 Fri 03-Mar-23 14:44:17

Grandmagrim Addi interchangeables have bayonet type fittings which hold the needles on the cable so that they can't unscrew (they have to be pushed in and twisted.) Pricey but maybe you can drop hints for birthday or Christmas? I like the lace points myself, I find them faster than standard blunter ones.