Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Keeping a 90 yr old amused

(52 Posts)
LizHand Sun 06-Nov-22 22:07:26

My darling mother wants to pick up her knitting needles again (my last memory was a jumper that didnt fit over my head as a 10 yr old!!!) but she wants more than a "boring" blanket sq./scarf and nothing as fiddly as anything for a baby... any pattern suggestions?

Witzend Fri 11-Nov-22 11:55:12

MissAdventure

Knitted knockers?

I've no idea how easy or hard they'd be to do, but they're for a good cause.

Wizend is a lady here who does some lovely projects, she may have some suggestions.

I have knitted ‘knockers’ for the local hospital - for advisors on breastfeeding to use! I was asked whether I could make some, after already making twiddle muffs for the hospital. Any colour was OK but I did manage to use up some particularly garish pink yarn. With a sort of purply nipple IIRC. 😂

Milest0ne Wed 09-Nov-22 23:31:27

Lucca

Thanks but I really need a class to teach me first !!

Our local library has a knit and natter session. So try your local library as there are lots of lovely ladies who are usually very willing to share their skill.

singingnutty Wed 09-Nov-22 22:41:32

During the first lockdown I knitted bunting which was supposed to be part of a local effort to yarnbomb the town. I’m not usually a knitter but enjoyed producing one bit of bunting during an evening. I cast on I think about 40 stitches and shaped the bunting by casting off a stitch at each end of the row every 4 rows. I think that was what I did but you would need to experiment to get the shape you want. I just knitted plain stitches (no purl). I stitched them onto tape and it looked very effective.

MissAdventure Wed 09-Nov-22 20:36:07

Oh I love a knitted dishcloth.
I think I've a couple that must be almost 20 years old!

emmasnan Wed 09-Nov-22 19:39:59

The Sands Charity, are always happy to receive small blankets for their Memory Boxes.

www.sands.org.uk

They have a knitting pattern you can download on their website.

Lucca Wed 09-Nov-22 18:05:58

25Avalon

www.ukhandknitting.com has loads of free patterns to download to knit for charity. There are hats, mittens, blankets, innocent bottle covers, egg cosies and lots of others to choose from.

You might to look as well Lucca as it lists all the knitting groups in your area so hopefully you may find one to suit.

Oh thank you! I know I wouldn’t have the will power to watch the you tube things and I’d much rather a live tutor !

Jbp1 Wed 09-Nov-22 17:25:55

I knit dish cloths in cotton.
Make great gifts
Friends love them and they last for ages.
You can buy lovely colours and blends of colour. Easy and quick to knit.
Either square or circular.

Dizzyribs Wed 09-Nov-22 17:00:58

If she can cable, there’s a very easy pattern on the inside of the Aldi very chunky yarn for knitting a cushion cover. They are basically a patterned oblong. I’m making some for Christmas gifts and stuffing them with a blanket instead of a cushion pad so there’s always one handy on the sofa for the coming chill.

nipsmum Wed 09-Nov-22 15:40:17

Cushion covers, bags for charity, fingerless gloves ,hats for sailors society, scarves. Go on the internet to find many patterns you can download free

25Avalon Wed 09-Nov-22 15:33:10

Lucca also try Hobbycraft for lots of knitting advice and videos. Also there may be other crafts you could try that suit.

25Avalon Wed 09-Nov-22 15:19:46

www.ukhandknitting.com has loads of free patterns to download to knit for charity. There are hats, mittens, blankets, innocent bottle covers, egg cosies and lots of others to choose from.

You might to look as well Lucca as it lists all the knitting groups in your area so hopefully you may find one to suit.

sandelf Wed 09-Nov-22 15:11:49

Some 'crafty' friends are knitting Twiddle Muffs - Google it (image search helps). Combined hand warmers and distractors for agitated people - dementia etc - can be very creative.

mrsgreenfingers56 Wed 09-Nov-22 15:09:27

The shoe box appeal is coming up very shortly and on the Samaritans Purse and Blythswood charity are collecting hats for the shoe box appeal as a lot of them will go out to the Ukraine this year. The pattern was very easy - even for me! I sent a lot to them. You can view the knitting patterns for Samaritans purse or could knit the little purses or toys. Have a look and see what your mum can manage.

4allweknow Wed 09-Nov-22 14:42:53

Twiddle muffs are easy and can be creative with the items sewn on for "twiddling". The 90 year old may even find them good for keeping hand occupied. Plenty patterns on line.

GardenofEngland Wed 09-Nov-22 14:38:31

I think twiddle muffs are an easy but creative knitting project
www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/documents/twiddle-muffs.pdf

Trish9495 Wed 09-Nov-22 14:37:15

Beanie hats for children aren’t too arduous. I’ve made several for my grandson.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 09-Nov-22 14:16:09

lovelifeyarn.com/teddy-bear-knitting-patterns/

Try suggesting one of the bears knitted in one piece.

Children's charities, hospitals etc. will be happy to accept them once knitted and stuffed

Musicgirl Wed 09-Nov-22 13:40:31

My mum regularly knits hats, scarves and mittens for the shoebox charity. They are always very well received.

Bluedaisy Wed 09-Nov-22 13:23:14

Dog coats for some rescue dogs currently in kennels? There’s a lady on many tears website that has a pattern but you should be able to Google one anyway.

ParlorGames Wed 09-Nov-22 13:01:13

Beanie hats are always useful and the patterns are easy to find and print from the internet. And well done to your dear Mum for wanting to have a go smile

win Wed 09-Nov-22 12:34:02

blankets for still born babies, you will find the pattern on line if you google it.

Theoddbird Wed 09-Nov-22 12:18:53

She could make a hat on a large circular needle. With winter coming the perfect thing to knit...

HazelGreen Wed 09-Nov-22 12:11:38

Ankle warmers, simple stocking stitch with few rows of rib top and bottom. Aldi and Lidl often have selection of wool.

Mamma66 Wed 09-Nov-22 11:47:36

Why not make twiddle mitts, (for people living with dementia) the pattern is simple, the more colours the better, so great for oddments of wool and sewing on the buttons etc brings out your creative side

Madashell Wed 09-Nov-22 11:38:01

Simple design footwarmers.