Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

I’ve just finished this hat for a friend

(58 Posts)
Purplepixie Wed 16-Nov-22 00:24:42

Hi all

I’ve been away from the site for a while due to depression. Got my knitting needles back out and here is a hat for a very dear friend. It’s knitted on 4mm needles with King Cole DK yarn.

Purplepixie Thu 17-Nov-22 11:05:08

Thank you. X

grannypiper Thu 17-Nov-22 10:13:20

Pixie you are very talented.

Witzend Thu 17-Nov-22 10:04:40

MiniMoon

Is that self striping yarn purplepixie? I love the colours. I don't knit but I do crochet both regular and tunisian crochet.
I made a hat in tunisian crochet recently, it looks knit. I can't get a pom pom tight enough, they always fall to pieces after a short time. I topped my hat off with a loopy pom pom made with chain stitches joined together.

I’ve recently repaired a ‘Santa’ hat knitted for Gds a couple of years ago - the pompom was falling apart. I knitted a sort of rounded-off square in ‘snowflake’ - the fluffy white yarn I’d used for part of the hat anyway, gathered up the sides and stuffed it to a ball shape. It looks fine and at least he won’t be able to pick this one to bits!

Should add that I’d never have thought of this if I hadn’t previously made the big fat Father Christmas in one of the Jean Greenhowe booklets, where his hat bobble is made like that - I just had to make it bigger.

Purplepixie Thu 17-Nov-22 09:50:06

Yes, the yarn is self striping. King Cole Bramble DK. Not sure of the shade as I threw the band away.

Thank you for the wonderful kind words.

MiniMoon Wed 16-Nov-22 21:40:43

Is that self striping yarn purplepixie? I love the colours. I don't knit but I do crochet both regular and tunisian crochet.
I made a hat in tunisian crochet recently, it looks knit. I can't get a pom pom tight enough, they always fall to pieces after a short time. I topped my hat off with a loopy pom pom made with chain stitches joined together.

nanaK54 Wed 16-Nov-22 17:48:36

I love the hat - off now to google 'smock stitch'

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Nov-22 17:30:53

Yes, we need some bobble-making training please, purplepixie

chelseababy Wed 16-Nov-22 17:00:57

It's lovely, wish I could get my bobbles to look so good!

mumofmadboys Wed 16-Nov-22 15:42:19

Beautiful hat!

dogsmother Wed 16-Nov-22 15:39:03

Beautiful colours, glad you feel like rejoining here. More than glad you feel like knitting again. I’ve tried and my bag is there ready to keep trying however I’m a lightweight who constantly fails.

Oreo Wed 16-Nov-22 14:59:36

Great hat purplepixie I have one very like it smile

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Nov-22 14:52:51

AreWeThereYet

^If I felt anxious, my knitting tended to get tighter and tighter.^

Callistemon I have the same problem with crochet. I started learning during lockdown too. I haven't made anything interesting yet but the results are getting quite passable. It takes a long time to complete anything though as everything has to be undone at least twice to get rid of the tight, tight patches 😂

I'm ok with crochet but I am a novice.
Only mastered chains and trebles so far!

Smileless2012 Wed 16-Nov-22 14:34:32

It's lovely Pixiesmile.

AreWeThereYet Wed 16-Nov-22 14:32:53

If I felt anxious, my knitting tended to get tighter and tighter.

Callistemon I have the same problem with crochet. I started learning during lockdown too. I haven't made anything interesting yet but the results are getting quite passable. It takes a long time to complete anything though as everything has to be undone at least twice to get rid of the tight, tight patches 😂

Norah Wed 16-Nov-22 13:23:03

Purplepixie

Hi all

I’ve been away from the site for a while due to depression. Got my knitting needles back out and here is a hat for a very dear friend. It’s knitted on 4mm needles with King Cole DK yarn.

Gorgeous! I hope you continue to feel better and better.

FannyCornforth Wed 16-Nov-22 13:21:59

Hello Purplepixie smile
I noticed that you’d been missing, but I didn’t know that you’ve been going through a bad patch.
I’m glad that you’re feeling a bit brighter, and it’s really nice to see you back again.
It’s a beautiful hat. Your friend is lucky to have such a kind friend.
I remember the crocheted tops that you were making for your grand daughter.

Liz46 Wed 16-Nov-22 13:17:30

I'm pleased that you are feeling a bit better Purplepixie.

The hat is lovely - it just needs a scarf to go with it!

Mizuna Wed 16-Nov-22 13:12:32

I've never heard of smock stitch either but will give it a go. Thank you.

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Nov-22 12:59:56

The stitch is smock stitch

Interesting! I shall investigate as it's not one I've heard of.

I'm finding crocheting more relaxing now, having mastered simple stitches in lockdown.
If I felt anxious, my knitting tended to get tighter and tighter.

AreWeThereYet Wed 16-Nov-22 12:59:18

I don't come on GN often enough to notice who's around, but glad you are feeling better. I love your hat too, it looks really cosy and warm and will brighten up any Winter day.

BlueSapphire Wed 16-Nov-22 12:53:54

Lovely hat! Knitting is so beneficial, keeping fingers and brain busy.

Purplepixie Wed 16-Nov-22 12:47:59

The Pattern is King Cole 5150. Hope this helps.

Purplepixie Wed 16-Nov-22 12:46:34

Thank you all so much for your kind words, so much appreciated.

The stitch is smock stitch. I had never heard of it before and I ended up watching it on YouTube and it is easier than I first thought. Now I love this stitch.

I have just started making myself a sweater with left over balls of James Brett Marble chunky. The colours are a bit different but it is certainly interesting and I will post on here when I get it finished. Take care everyone. smile

Cressy Wed 16-Nov-22 11:16:21

Purplepixie glad you are improving. I tried knitting again in order to make some gloves for a charity-it’s been 40 years since I last held a pair of needles! Am making very slow progress with lots of mistakes along the way ending up with a lot of the knitting unravelled! I decided to try a simple beanie hat. All was going well until I noticed it looked a bit small…. Having checked the pattern I realised I was supposed to have used arran wool. I was using DK. Who knew
that made a difference. ?😬 The hat has now
been unravelled. I have hat envy looking at your gorgeous creation.

pascal30 Wed 16-Nov-22 11:01:32

It certainly suits your name purplepixie... great hat...