Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

shawls. Come into their own, at last

(36 Posts)
karmalady Wed 30-Nov-22 11:18:30

I have made several shawls over the years and hardly worn them but, perhaps it is an age thing, I popped one on today and it is oh so warm and cosy around my neck and top of my shoulders

I have one more left to make, perhaps next year or the year after. I have all the wool and pattern, safe in a ziplock, away from moths. A warm full shawl

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gilt-wood-shawl

I finished one a few months ago, bought all the yarn on rav via a de-stash. Also very warm

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stars-in-the-sky

hollysteers Sun 29-Jan-23 20:55:48

When I wore ponchos/shawls, my mother would grimace and call me a Mary Ellen. Never has stopped me.

karmalady Sun 29-Jan-23 18:55:48

I started a new shawl earlier and just wanted to say that it is a fantastic knit. Very easy to remember the pattern

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/first-blooms-2

Callistemon21 Thu 26-Jan-23 23:32:38

Kate1949

All us friends used to wear crochet shawls with our maxi dresses in the 1970s.

I've still got mine, in a bag, away from the moth.

I should get it out again.

IrishDancing Thu 26-Jan-23 22:53:04

There are dozens of patterns on Ravelry lixy, some free, so I’m sure you’ll find one you like. Shawls are “in” at the moment and very cosy.

Esmay Thu 26-Jan-23 22:43:05

I love a shawl when I'm sitting on the sofa with tea and a biscuit watching a film and just in from the freezing cold garden !

lixy Sat 07-Jan-23 07:55:14

Ailidh; love the idea of a shawl with pockets, that looks really useful. Totally agree about the tassels and I'm not enamoured with pom-poms either!

I bit the bullet and bought the Claire's rent shawl pattern. It'll sit on my desktop in the to-do pile while I complete current project and source the yarn etc - away from home at present so that'll be a small adventure in itself!

Kate1949 Fri 06-Jan-23 17:18:32

All us friends used to wear crochet shawls with our maxi dresses in the 1970s.

halfpint1 Fri 06-Jan-23 12:08:19

I live at 600 metres in Central France and took to having a Shawl as my indoor winter go to years ago. The winter fashion
here is always for all ages a large scarf/shawl with or without a coat, you can't beat it and it looks good.

Redhead56 Fri 06-Jan-23 11:26:49

When we were children we used to go to our grannies who lived inner city. I remember there were older women selling fruit and veg from hand carts my mum called them shawlies. They obviously wore long black shawls to keep them warm.

I used to crochet a lot and made some lovely shawls and ponchos as a teenager. I’m looking forward to teaching my GC how to knit and crochet.

The shawls around now are very colourful and stylish but not something I wear. I like a big coat with deep pockets and collar.

JackyB Fri 06-Jan-23 06:43:32

I crocheted several shawls when I was in the sixth form. I get them out occasionally when it's too warm for a cardigan. They are huge though compared to the ones shown here so far. I'll pot a picture of the pattern if I can find it. It's far more glamorous than the shawl itself or me wearing it!

Ailidh Fri 06-Jan-23 06:26:07

I've made many of these over the years but without the fringey tassels which are just a damn nuisance, in wear and in the washing machine.
Gave quite a few as Christmas presents this time, and have taken orders for more.

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/perfect-pockets-shawl

greenmossgiel Fri 06-Jan-23 06:24:11

Like Karmalady, I enjoy knitting ‘hitchhiker’ shawls. My main love is knitting socks, so I use my stash of remaining sock yarn for my shawls.
I knit all the time - cannot just sit, so a nice wee shawl project does the job now and again.

MrsKen33 Fri 06-Jan-23 06:19:22

I have heaps of wool and honestly never thought of a shawl. What a lovely idea. Definitely my next project, Thank you Karmalady.
I always rather liked those Paisley shawls the Victorian ladies wore also.

FannyCornforth Fri 06-Jan-23 05:23:25

grannydarkhair

I like the type of shawl that Claire, the main character in the Outlander series often wears - they cross over at the front and are held in place with a button at the back.

Mrs Cratchit in Dickensian wore one of those! Although it was supposed to be drab, I greatly admired it.
I do wish that I could knit.
I’ve got two left hands sad

lixy Fri 06-Jan-23 04:54:49

That looks beautiful Canadian Gran. I like the detail the short rows add. I hope you are pleased with yours when you get around to finishing it.

CanadianGran Thu 05-Jan-23 22:26:28

I started this one ages ago and let it fall into the knitting basket...perhaps I should pick up the needles again.

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/coquille-shawl

I do find I like a lighter cottony scarf wound around my neck; it keeps drafts out without adding too much bulk. The coquille shawl is made with very fine wool/silk blend so shouldn't be bulky, I just need to get on with it.

JaneJudge Thu 05-Jan-23 21:31:36

I love shawls too.

lixy Thu 05-Jan-23 21:24:28

Just wondering whether any one has made an Outlander shawl. I really like the look of them but the patterns are expensive so

- can anyone recommend a good pattern for an averagely competent, slow knitter?
-if you have made one, were you pleased with it and has it been useful?

GagaJo Wed 30-Nov-22 13:04:55

Oh YES! Shawls, scarves, anything to cover the upper back and neck.

I've got this odd thing I bought overseas that I also love. It's like a big cashmere rectangle with buttons and button holes down both sides. You can button it up into any shape. It's essentially a scarf, but the buttons make it very variable. Also very warm.

karmalady Wed 30-Nov-22 13:01:28

Hey Lixy, I just looked for outlander-style patterns, there are lots. Very easy knits in garter stitch. Mmm I have odd hanks of 4ply wool, could easily make a stripey one. Need to finish pandoras love first, beautiful to knit and takes a long time due to colourwork and concentration. Has to be about the best written pattern I ever used

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pandoras-love

lixy Wed 30-Nov-22 12:50:03

You can never be fully stashed Karmalady grin
There's always room for just one more.....!

karmalady Wed 30-Nov-22 12:43:55

granny in a rocking chair!! grin certainly not. I am a cycling granny who dresses in lycra for cycling grin

I love that I can now use my shawl pins. I feel so cosy today, it is grim and cold out. The shawl I am wearing today is smaller and lighter but just right over my shoulders and around my neck

The outlander shawl is a lovely design, oh no, don`t give me any ideas. I am already stashed with wool and patterns

tanith Wed 30-Nov-22 12:37:10

I have a cashmere scarf I bought in Edinburgh I use a small hair claw to fasten it on my shoulder.

I love the shawls you’ve made just the job for chilly days.

Caleo Wed 30-Nov-22 12:30:21

When I was a girl I wore a good quality wool kilt. My kilt pin did no damage to the woven material.

Georgesgran Wed 30-Nov-22 12:25:45

Pashminas for me - I’ve got dozens. As I normally wear an outfit of one dark colour, I pep it up in the cooler months with a bright pashmina and if I have one, a bag to match. I like to think that the splash of bright colour around the neck draws the eye from the fat body beneath!