Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Asked to teach Gdd to knit!

(86 Posts)
Witzend Sun 12-Feb-23 09:40:07

It was dd who asked, so I dare say Gdd (8 in April) has mentioned it. Elder Gdcs are coming to stay for much of next week (half term) so wish me luck. I already have some children’s needles and a mass of colourful oddments for her to choose from.

I just hope she won’t be like dd, who has always had zero patience with sewing or knitting - I still remember her frustration at being unable to crack it in 10 minutes and chucking her knitting on the floor!
They are very different, though - Gdd enjoys anything ‘crafty’ so đŸ€ž.

Witzend Sun 19-Feb-23 12:03:26

Well, she lost interest after doing one laborious row of 12 stitches.
To be fair we were out for much of the 3 days they were with us, though, and there was piano practice to fit in as well.

Fleurpepper Thu 16-Feb-23 08:34:26

wow that was quick. On BBC News today 'X who was taught to knit by grand-mother, now featured in Vogue' Bravo!

Dizzyribs Wed 15-Feb-23 21:57:29

I couldn't learn to knit with those short thin sticks that are labelled "children's needles". My mother despaired. However, my gran taught me in around ten minutes using her full sized ones, one held very tightly under my arm-pit so I didn't need to hold it and the other that could "wiggle about" as I needed two hands to actually knit...
I've taught several little people to knit this way, and all of them have gone on to enjoy knitting and make their own jumpers, hats etc.
Some of my "knitting pupils" are now well into their 40's and still proudly knitting !

Tweedle24 Tue 14-Feb-23 21:07:41

My father taught me to knit. It wasn’t that he knitted himself, but had watched my mother, who was constantly knitting. She did not have, nor pretended to have, the patience to teach so he took over. I remember him sitting next to me chanting, “In, over, out and off.”

Nannashirlz Tue 14-Feb-23 16:59:08

Nannashirlz

My gran taught me and I’ve taught my oldest granddaughter but she wasn’t keen at 7 she didn’t learn until in lockdown I taught her over video so was much harder to teach her but by time we came out of lockdown she could knit and cook has I would cook in my kitchen and she hers it kept her entertained and me

She was 9 in lockdown

Nannashirlz Tue 14-Feb-23 16:58:28

My gran taught me and I’ve taught my oldest granddaughter but she wasn’t keen at 7 she didn’t learn until in lockdown I taught her over video so was much harder to teach her but by time we came out of lockdown she could knit and cook has I would cook in my kitchen and she hers it kept her entertained and me

songstress60 Tue 14-Feb-23 16:36:07

I cannot knit, sew or crochet. I had no grandmothers. Both died before I was born, my mother didn't knit. She had no patience to teach me to sew. I grieve for the lack of skill I NEVER acquired.

Merryweather Tue 14-Feb-23 15:39:40

Every time I've tried to learn I have ended up with button holes all over the place. No dropped stitches at all. I got told to give it up as a bad job last time.
I'll stick to watercolour painting and other crafts.

SueEH Tue 14-Feb-23 14:21:51

I’m a left hander taught to knit right handed by a grandma. I have twins - one left and one right handed. Needless to say none of are in the least proficient in knitting đŸ€Ł
But I crochet (right handed), one daughter does beautiful cross stitch and one paints. Each to their own.

libra10 Tue 14-Feb-23 14:10:30

My granddaughter asked me to teach her to knit. I found all the parafernalia, and patiently tried to show her, but she wanted me to do it while she watched.

It was the same with crochet and sewing tapestry pictures. Just remembered the origami. We never did learn how to make an origami bird.

Witzend Tue 14-Feb-23 13:55:47

Gundy

Out of a group of grandkids there will be one or a couple that do have the “crafty gene” (when it comes to knitting ) that you can nurture along. Found out it’s not limited to just girls!
Cheers!
USA Gundy

You only have to look at Alan Dart’s website to see what men are capable of in the knitting department! So many amazing creations.

Pavane Tue 14-Feb-23 13:50:04

My sweet SIL used to knit beautiful socks. She taught me how to knit using two pencils and.old yarn when I was 10 yo. I eventually learned myself to knit socks, patterned and with reinforced heel. Good luck.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 14-Feb-23 13:40:25

NotSpaghetti

Thought you might like to see this.
Tom Daley. Ghis is crochet but he knits too.

Tom Daley does some lovely things but watching him knit on Gogglebox one evening I was surprised that his knitting style is just like all new knitters, lifting the yarn with his hand going up instead of just his finger with the yarn looped around it.

Thisismyname1953 Tue 14-Feb-23 13:23:53

My DGM taught me to crochet when I was a teenager. When I was 18 my fiancé next door neighbour was only in her early 20s but was ill and only had a short life expectancy. She wanted to learn to crochet to pass the time but was left handed . I taught myself to crochet left handed and then taught it to her . She was very happy crocheting blanket squares etc .

Gundy Tue 14-Feb-23 13:18:14

Out of a group of grandkids there will be one or a couple that do have the “crafty gene” (when it comes to knitting ) that you can nurture along. Found out it’s not limited to just girls!
Cheers!
USA Gundy

Grannie314 Tue 14-Feb-23 12:57:06

A couple of years ago my GD wanted me to teach her to sew. I'm a pretty good basic seamstress. I taught her basics, machine operations and cutting patterns. A couple of weeks into it, she making her own (stylish) clothing and MAKING her own patterns. Now, I'm a very proud spectator. I tidy and iron for her.

Dancinggran Tue 14-Feb-23 12:56:47

I taught my eldest grandchild to knit when she was 6, took to it no problem, loved anything crafty. At 10, joined the Knit and Natter group at school, knit a red slouch hat which she loved and helped teach some of others in the group to KNIT. No other grandchildren have managed, they have tried but not enough patience.

Diplomat Tue 14-Feb-23 12:48:01

What a coincidence. I was only rescuing my knitting from my DGD this AM. She wanted me to show what to do and held the needle with me. From the depths of my memory came, ' In, round, through, knock it off!' My DGD is 2 so a bit early to start yet!

TiggyW Tue 14-Feb-23 12:47:33

I’m left-handed, but I learnt to crochet right-handed. I just manoeuvre my left hand more than my right. I didn’t find it a problem. It was easier to learn that way than trying to reverse everything.
It’s a right-handed world! 🙄 I had to use a right-handed hockey stick at school and so carried on to play golf right-handed too.

Milest0ne Tue 14-Feb-23 12:45:15

I found it impossible to teach my GGD to crochet on Zoom. It was all back to front. Much better when you are in the same room rather than other side of the world.

Bijou Tue 14-Feb-23 12:26:28

I could knit and crochet when I was five just by watching my mother. My daughter got her brownie knitting badge by knitting some egg cosies. A monk and a chicken.
We were knitting when my son asked to join in. My husband felt left out so he asked to join in. The first thing he knitted was a layette for his sisters baby (days before baby grows). He went on to knit all his pullovers and socks
I had a class at W.I to teach crochet. Some were left handed!

Vintagegirl Tue 14-Feb-23 12:10:08

Ankle warmers are quick and maybe use variety of yarn to jazz up.

knspol Tue 14-Feb-23 12:07:27

I learned to knit and sew at school, we made tray cloths with bits of embroidery in the corners and knitted dish cloths using strawberry stitch. An aunt taught me to do tatting with a tiny bobbin and mother taught me to crochet although don't think I could do wither of those things today.

jools1 Tue 14-Feb-23 12:04:54

Any advice on which YouTube videos are best? I would love to teach my 8 year old grandkids to knit but I am not a good knitter (apart from lots of baby blankets and basic scarfs!).

Granmarderby10 Tue 14-Feb-23 11:40:39

There are some very good YouTube instructional videos for children to learn knitting.
The closeups on a tv make it very clear how the stitches are made. They sometimes have a rhyme too