Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Asked to teach Gdd to knit!

(85 Posts)
Witzend Sun 12-Feb-23 09:40:07

It was dd who asked, so I dare say Gdd (8 in April) has mentioned it. Elder Gdcs are coming to stay for much of next week (half term) so wish me luck. I already have some children’s needles and a mass of colourful oddments for her to choose from.

I just hope she won’t be like dd, who has always had zero patience with sewing or knitting - I still remember her frustration at being unable to crack it in 10 minutes and chucking her knitting on the floor!
They are very different, though - Gdd enjoys anything ‘crafty’ so đŸ€ž.

Fleurpepper Sun 12-Feb-23 09:45:36

Good for you. Actually, I'd start with crochet and macramé- before knitting. Holding tension is so hard with knitting.

Chardy Sun 12-Feb-23 09:49:13

DGD aged just 7 asked. We've given it a go, and spent literally ten minutes on it every time I see her.

Urmstongran Sun 12-Feb-23 09:50:09

I remember being taught ...

“Open it’s mouth
Give it something to eat (the wool),
Swallow it,
Finish.”

Good luck! Hope it’s fun. 😊

Nell8 Sun 12-Feb-23 09:51:01

Good luck with that, Witzend. It should be fun.
I'm transported back to primary school and the chant - In, Over, Through and Off!

dragonfly46 Sun 12-Feb-23 09:52:10

My Grandma taught me to knit and crochet. My Aunty taught me to sow and for years I made all my own and my children's clothes.

MawtheMerrier Sun 12-Feb-23 09:55:36

My eldest GS, soon to turn 13, asked me to teach him last time he stayed here. I had to make do with “regular” albeit short needles but he coped well.

Witzend Sun 12-Feb-23 09:56:09

Fleurpepper

Good for you. Actually, I'd start with crochet and macramé- before knitting. Holding tension is so hard with knitting.

Slight snag there, in that I never learned to crochet - and alas I’m not going to start now. In fact I really don’t like the look of crochet - very unreasonable of me, I know, but it’s probably down to a pre-marriage housemate who was forever crocheting the most hideous, garishly coloured things - usually ponchos, which I had to pretend were lovely. I lived in dread of her presenting me with one - and having to wear it!

MawtheMerrier Sun 12-Feb-23 09:58:49

The ultimate crochet threat - be afraid, sons-in-law, be very afraid!

Witzend Sun 12-Feb-23 10:03:31

Nell8

Good luck with that, Witzend. It should be fun.
I'm transported back to primary school and the chant - In, Over, Through and Off!

I well remember ‘in, over, through, off’ from my mother.

It was all so much quicker and easier, once she (eventually) persuaded me to loop the yarn under little finger and over forefinger.
Not long ago I saw a young woman on the bus so laboriously lifting the yarn for each stitch - I was dying to show her, but was afraid of being seen as an interfering old bag.

NotSpaghetti Sun 12-Feb-23 10:06:40

I was never taught crochet but was knitting at 5 so can't be that difficult

NotSpaghetti Sun 12-Feb-23 10:07:48

MawtheMerrier

Love the one on the left!

Auntieflo Sun 12-Feb-23 10:07:55

I know I put drops in my eye this morning, but I really thought the thread title was "Asked to teach God to knit".

Witzend Sun 12-Feb-23 10:10:13

MawtheMerrier

Eeeek!

Lovetopaint037 Sun 12-Feb-23 10:12:26

My GM taught me to knit in the forties. In those days knitted dish cloths were often used. She bought me dishcloth wool which was off white in colour and quite thick. I remember her saying “you make me feel quite weak “ as I pulled the wool around in a very loose fashion. However, I really enjoyed it dropped stitches and all. When I was about 12 I set about knitting a blanket for my baby cousin. My mother bound it in ribbon. My gran remarked that she couldn’t believe I had knitted it as she remembered my early attempts. That blanket was well used on a daily basis.
Unexpectedly, my gs asked me to teach him to knit when he was about 6 and he saw me knitting. He had a good go at it and managed quite well. However, he didn’t continue as other things took over. Not like my friend’s father who knitted all their jumpers etc. I remember dh looking at me knitting and saying he wished he could do that. I hope you have a lovely, cosy time with your gch and she remembers the lovely time she spent with her granny, dropped stitches and all.

Gymstagran Sun 12-Feb-23 10:15:25

I've suggested learning to knit as an activity with granddaughters next week too. They have tried before but I've found a pattern for wrist warmers that is quick and easy. Will fill an hour on so I guess.

Witzend Sun 12-Feb-23 10:17:24

Thanks for that, Gymstagran, I’m sure I’ve got a pattern for wrist warmers somewhere!

JackyB Sun 12-Feb-23 10:19:12

I have promised my DGD (8) I will teach her to sew if she likes when she comes. However, her great-aunt is a fabulous needlewoman, but if I just teach her some basics, it can't do any harm. When she was only 6 we did some French knitting which she cottoned on to immediately, but we couldn't do much because she only had a children's set and it was an impractical, unwieldy wooden needle and even I couldn't get on with it.

It will be easier to teach DGS (also 8) which I may well do. He is fascinated by the sewing machine and lives nearer and we see them more often.

I'd love to hear how everyone gets on with this: which is a good age to start, how you keep their attention, etc.

Callistemon21 Sun 12-Feb-23 10:19:41

I have a photo of my Mum teaching our older two DC to knit. Mum was an excellent, avid knitter, sadly neither of them took to it.

Our DGS thought he'd like to try when he was about 7 and seemed to pick it up well, did a few rows then said "This is boring, can I go out to play".

Younger DGD seemed keen, was doing well and wanted to knit a coat for the dog in squares; she took the first square home to carry on, apparently dropped stitches and that was the end of that. đŸ€”

Good luck, Witzend, who knows, your DGD may take after you 🙂

😂

Cs783 Sun 12-Feb-23 10:21:26

Witzend I was taught to knit like the young woman you saw on the bus, I think: holding the active needle in one hand and the other to loop the yarn round it.I did get up a fair rhythm and speed eventually. I wonder if it’s a common knitting hold elsewhere. I’ve read of a ‘continental’ style. But I always felt it must be ‘wrong’ as it seemed less efficient.

Callistemon21 Sun 12-Feb-23 10:21:56

Slight snag there, in that I never learned to crochet - and alas I’m not going to start now. In fact I really don’t like the look of crochet - very unreasonable of me, I know, but it’s probably down to a pre-marriage housemate who was forever crocheting the most hideous, garishly coloured things - usually ponchos, which I had to pretend were lovely. I lived in dread of her presenting me with one - and having to wear it!

They're retro and very in vogue now, Witzend
I find crocheting more soothing than knitting, having taught myself during lockdown.

Callistemon21 Sun 12-Feb-23 10:27:17

Not long ago I saw a young woman on the bus so laboriously lifting the yarn for each stitch - I was dying to show her, but was afraid of being seen as an interfering old bag

If you see an actor on TV doing that you know for sure they can't really knit.

And there was recently an advert on tv where a woman in a care home was seen knitting a crochet blanket!

Urmstongran Sun 12-Feb-23 10:27:57

That photo was hilarious Maw!

Witzend Sun 12-Feb-23 10:28:59

I’m not sure the garish things my housemate made would ever be in vogue, Callistemon. In ‘quieter’ colours, I dare say

Urmstongran Sun 12-Feb-23 10:29:48

When our Boy Wonder was expected my daughter said ‘no home knitteds thanks mum”!
đŸ€Ł