Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Interesting Yarn Behaviour

(14 Posts)
NanaDana Tue 04-Apr-23 16:50:46

"Freebies" or "cheapies" can trigger rather primitive, pack-like behaviour and bring out the absolute worst in people, who in other circumstances might consider themselves quite civilised. Just look at the rugby scrums or even punch-ups in the shops on Black Friday or at seasonal sales if you need reminding how thin the veneer of civilised behaviour is. Another example is the spectacle of the Brit abroad, elbows out, demolishing the help-yourself buffet at their package holiday hotel, and then leaving half of it uneaten on their plate. So no, I'm not surprised that the phenomenon is also seen in so-called "nicer" circles. Typically human, and rather depressing I'm afraid. Much prefer my dogs.. grin

ginny Tue 04-Apr-23 16:36:06

Callistemon21

That was very bad manners indeed.
We're all very polite at our group.

Seems like yarn can trigger hidden primal behaviour.

Mind you, yarn brings out the jackdaw in me 😁

Jackdaws are known to steal shiny objects such as jewellery, to hoard in nests. I don't steal, but yarn brings out the impulse to acquire and hoard!

There are two types of hobby.
The hobby itself and the collection of yarn, fabric art materials etc. to facilitate the first.

Foxygloves Tue 04-Apr-23 13:06:24

I always overbuy - fear of running out of a colour and some yarns seem to have been discontinued since the pandemic or the B word. Like the Alaflosslopi Icelandic yarn I used for huge knitted throws for my DDs.
So inevitably I have balls left over and am only too happy to have somebody take them off my hands (or alternatively out of the dog’s mouth, as she seems to regard them as a new toy). Goodness knows the mayhem she would cause at a Knit and Natter!

Liamjaik Tue 04-Apr-23 12:46:40

hi

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Feb-23 10:57:19

If we had surplus supplies we don't want it's put into the middle of a table and we take what we would like but only if no one else wants it

I shall be sorting out mine soon, Whiff and taking it in for others to use.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Feb-23 10:52:36

That was very bad manners indeed.
We're all very polite at our group.

Seems like yarn can trigger hidden primal behaviour.

Mind you, yarn brings out the jackdaw in me 😁

Jackdaws are known to steal shiny objects such as jewellery, to hoard in nests. I don't steal, but yarn brings out the impulse to acquire and hoard!

Girinomusume Sat 25-Feb-23 10:45:52

I have been to the knitting and stitching show at Alexandra palace many times. There is an area I call the “Wool scrum”……

Redhead56 Sat 25-Feb-23 09:38:56

We have a clique in and around where we live who have for nearly forty years ran the local Women Institute. They also started the knit and natter group in our village. I do knit but don’t go as a few of the mums used to run the baby and toddler group years ago. I observed some very selfish behaviour in the group it put me off so I soon gave that one up.
The same few run around helping the new vicar at the church hall. The local ranger was never short of mums to organise the litter picking and walking groups.
If someone is on their own and lonely it might be company for them to join these local groups but not me.

Carenza123 Sat 25-Feb-23 08:05:08

Unfortunately these selfish traits are rife in society. It is quite upsetting, and not just found in the younger generation. A lot of entitlement about.

ParlorGames Sat 25-Feb-23 07:57:29

Nothing short of absolute greed in my opinion! What disgusting behaviour, they should be ashamed.

I have a friend who is massively into knitting and crochet and apparently, the workshop where she goes, were telling her that most of their supplies are made in Turkey and there is a problem with getting stock out of the country due to the earthquakes.

Seems like other have realised this and it might explain their dreadful behaviour.

Ailidh Sat 25-Feb-23 07:48:49

I belong to a couple of Facebook crochet groups and often see examples of yarn greed. There was someone yesterday who was so delighted that her husband, seeing a display of sale yarn in a shop, pushed the whole display straight to the checkout to buy it all for her. There was a gloat picture of all the yarn.
I always want to ask, What about everyone else? What about the person who can't afford to take it all but for whom a couple of balls of half-price yarn would be a real delight? Such questions are not welcome.....

Whiff Sat 25-Feb-23 06:51:58

I go to a mixed media craft group . If we had surplus supplies we don't want it's put into the middle of a table and we take what we would like but only if no one else wants it. There is no grabbing or selfishness. One if our ladies crochets lots of Halloween ghosts,witches,pumpkins and bats we all had some she didn't want payment just send to a charity if we wanted. I had 10 items so sent £10 to the Brain Charity. Everyone else sent money to charity or gave food to the food bank. It's a lovely group which I have been a member since 2019.

I cross stitch and made coasters so everyone good have one . As it's a slow craft I wanted to give something back as I have had so many things from others over the years .

Funny enough most of us have health problems and no matter how ill we feel still go for our 2 hours every week as we always feel better afterwards. Our age range is mid 30's to mid 80's. In another life we would never have met but found craft people are special . The love of craft whatever it is helps physically and mentally and my group care about eachother. We have our own closed what's app group so keep in touch all week. I bake every 2 weeks and take in cake or biscuits. We supply our own drinks and biscuits. We just take in things when we get low. It's held a our local library it's free and we have a room with small kitchen and loo. Have a cupboard to store our stock. But another group who use the room has been stealing our coffee. We know this as no one drinks coffee but a jar was taken in incase someone fancied one. It's less than half full. It will not be replaced .

Ziplok Fri 24-Feb-23 13:22:56

It’s amazing how greed can rear its ugly head.

LRavenscroft Fri 24-Feb-23 13:17:52

I go to a Knit & Knatter group at a local village hall. We have had a whole stock of really good unused yarn donated by a villager. I and and friend set it out in yarn type to show to the other ladies of the group when they arrived and discuss use. BUT as soon as a couple of the knitters arrived, they were like a load of seagulls as they swooped onto the wool, grabbing what they liked and wanted and walking off with it, leaning over other people, upsetting sorted wool in bags etc. We had to call them all to sit down and wait for all the members to arrive so it could be fairly discussed who would get what, why and also give a donation to group funds. I was really surprised at their behaviour as it seemed so greedy and we are talking about ladies who are not short of social manners. Seems like yarn can trigger hidden primal behaviour.