Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What have you sewn lately?

(60 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 06-Mar-23 18:54:52

I do hand-sewn patchwork and counted thread work, I only use a sewing machine for essentials like curtains and cushions but needed new covers for the kitchen chair cushions,
I bought a big remnant of beautiful expensive fabric with pine cones and have made 5 cushion covers, a table runner, a curtain for under the sink and an apron. My kitchen is now awash with pine cones.

AreWeThereYet Tue 21-Mar-23 13:48:28

So many clever, beautiful things. Love these threads.

Llamedos13 Tue 21-Mar-23 12:32:36

I made this from a charity shop fur coat. It’s for my grandsons jungle themed nursery

eddiecat78 Tue 21-Mar-23 11:28:04

I converted 2 military uniforms into cushions for my ex-military son.
I am also sewing a large abstract cross-stitch panel which I am not particularly enjoying as it is on a dark blue background and my eyes can't cope with it

Rosie51 Wed 08-Mar-23 12:24:46

Thanks AskAlice I'll do the same with the neckline, draft facings, especially for baby clothes, much kinder on their delicate skin.

Fernbergien Wed 08-Mar-23 11:41:55

Lifted the neck on a Joules top. Neck too wide. Long thin triangle with the short end at neck. Starting with “nothing “ at shoulder seam then increasing.

LRavenscroft Wed 08-Mar-23 11:24:56

Just hand sewn a patchwork heat mat using scraps of cotton fabric. I battled with mitred corners which I yet have to perfect.

henetha Wed 08-Mar-23 10:24:31

Nothing much, but I did repair a folding up shopping bag which I carry with me these days. I put too much shopping in it recently and the bottom came unstitched and the shopping fell out. I refuse to throw it away so I have sewn it up as firmly as I can.
There's something satisfactory about mending things.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 08-Mar-23 10:17:17

I've put together a 'teddy' from a book called Two Hour Teddy Bears - which is obviously a bit of a misnomer. However, I often have trouble with the faces and it looks more like a large mouse to me.

Fleurpepper Wed 08-Mar-23 10:07:13

srn63

I have also just made this rug by sewing fabric samples together and backing them, quite pleased with a free rug!

Amazing. Reminded me of my childhood though, when I asked my dad if we could brighten up my bedroom, and he asked his friend, a decorator, to give us wallpaper sample books. We cut out the pieces and made a huge patchwork on the floor to match up colours and patterns- and then wallpapered the room. I was so proud of it.

Recently I met someone who lived in that apartment after we left- and I asked him which was his room. The one at the end, SW, with the 2 windows, he replied. Did it still have the patchwork wallpaper? The answer was yes. He had always wondered who and how this had been done.

Jbp1 Wed 08-Mar-23 09:59:38

Loving all your photos. 🥰
Bookcase quilt is amazing!📚

AskAlice Wed 08-Mar-23 09:13:15

srn63 that quilt is wonderful - you are so clever!

MerylStreep Wed 08-Mar-23 09:03:07

srn63

I have just finished a bookcase quilt.

I’m in awe of this quilt. 👏👏👏👏

AskAlice Wed 08-Mar-23 08:49:55

Just go the bit before the start of the instructions where it says "Download the Template", you don't have to buy the ad-free version.

AskAlice Wed 08-Mar-23 08:47:43

Rosie51 , the strawberry and green dresses are Simplicity 8304. I made view C , one with and one without pockets. For the neckline, I didn't use bias binding as suggested but drafted my own facings and used the same fabric as the dress. Much softer and it lays better (lays, lies??).

The little yellow one is a free pattern that I downloaded from the internet at sewcraftyme.com. It goes from newborn to 12 months so should be perfect for your GDs. Here's a link:

sewcraftyme.com/baby-girl-dress-sewing-pattern.html

srn63 Wed 08-Mar-23 06:47:46

I have also just made this rug by sewing fabric samples together and backing them, quite pleased with a free rug!

srn63 Wed 08-Mar-23 06:44:33

I have just finished a bookcase quilt.

fancythat Tue 07-Mar-23 20:27:43

Nothing. My husband does it.
I am useless at it and my husband comes from a family who sew well.
He got fed up of my sewing, still making buttons come off, so he took over.

Rosie51 Tue 07-Mar-23 19:58:52

*liked!

Rosie51 Tue 07-Mar-23 19:57:15

AskAlice those dresses are lovely, I want to make some for my 6 months old twin granddaughters. May I ask what pattern you used, I had a search online the other day and couldn't find one I likes?

MaggsMcG Tue 07-Mar-23 19:49:15

hem of a pair of trousers because I'm only 4ft 10inches so every pair of trousers I have to chop off loads and hem. Other than that the occasional button. Oh and my knitting.

AskAlice Tue 07-Mar-23 19:47:13

I've now Youtubed crumb quilts and it looks fascinating! All I have to do now is work out what you do when you've got all your scraps sewn up and made into a reasonable-sized square or rectangle! This might be addictive...

AskAlice Tue 07-Mar-23 18:33:08

I like the sound of that saltnshake. I've got lots of scraps of scraps and have never made a quilt before but that might be do- able for me!

saltnshake Tue 07-Mar-23 18:29:45

I loved seeing the lovely things that you have made. such clever ladies. To answer Ilovecheeses question - what is a crumb quilt? Well, a scrap quilt is made from the pieces left over from making a quilt; a crumb quilt is made by using the small scraps left from your scrap quilt, pieces too small to do much with. They are joined randomly rather like crazy patchwork.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Mar-23 17:14:35

Yammy

Callistemon21

Gardenersdelight

@maggiemaybe I've started darning and also patched a hole in the pocket of my husbands jeans
Not pretty but functional and saves throwing things out

Don't tell my DH , he wants me to mend his disreputable holey old jumper.

While you're at it will you mend my Dh's three that I had hidden,
It was one last week. Now he has found the other two.
Also, are you in the mood for patching? He wants me to patch some Rohan walking trousers he has had since just after DD was born she is in her middle 40s.smile

Put two fingers into the hole and pull in opposite directions.

It's very satisfying 😂

Gardenersdelight Tue 07-Mar-23 16:59:19

To those asking my rates ate very good!! Coffee and cake 😉😄