Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What the younger generation missed! Do we?

(176 Posts)
Poppyjo Tue 28-Mar-23 03:35:41

With the fast pace of technology what common place items of yesteryear would the younger generation probably not know of which were common place on our lives?

For me it would be:-

Bellows,
Blue bag,
Beef press
Liberty bodice
Izal toilet paper.

Granmarderby10 Fri 31-Mar-23 11:15:56

DiddyNan No wish to go back either because most of what our family had then was the best that an ordinary working family then could get ..so was lucky. And things progress and we all expect better.

But I still have this notion, perhaps just because I was young and free from responsibilities that each new thing was enjoyed far more; such as your example of buying records and actually listening to them and in our case dancing to them🕺as well.

mokryna Fri 31-Mar-23 11:18:20

The white lid dustbins in the streets for food waste in the 50s.

Granmarderby10 Fri 31-Mar-23 11:57:23

mokryna never heard of those , what country are you in?🙂

Dottydots Fri 31-Mar-23 12:20:43

Earlier this morning I wasn't feeling too good and felt really down but reading all these comments has cheered me up no end, so thank you ladies.

mokryna Fri 31-Mar-23 17:31:04

Granmarderby10

mokryna never heard of those , what country are you in?🙂

When I was young in southern England, on some street corners there were dustbins with white lids. If there was any waste food it went into those bins for pig swill. 50s and early 60s.

mokryna Fri 31-Mar-23 17:41:48

Found this on the web but I don’t remember the poster on the side.

Granmarderby10 Fri 31-Mar-23 21:40:33

Mokryna the only place I saw a pig swill bin was in the canteen at my primary school. That would have been in the mid 1960s.
The use of “pig swill” containing meat was banned in the wake of the BSE scandal.

Grannynannywanny Fri 31-Mar-23 22:05:14

When I was a nurse in the early 70s I remember each hospital ward had a food scrap dustbin. It was collected daily and sold on to be used as pig food.

mokryna Sat 01-Apr-23 00:31:25

Granmarderby10

Mokryna the only place I saw a pig swill bin was in the canteen at my primary school. That would have been in the mid 1960s.
The use of “pig swill” containing meat was banned in the wake of the BSE scandal.

The bin I remember was on a street corner which I passed every day on my way to school about 61/62. There were only private houses, no hospitals, schools or government buildings.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 01-Apr-23 09:01:50

Milkman and his horse.
Horses pulling barrows of various things.
Young lads whistling tunes as they ride bikes.
Carpet beaters.
Newspaper cut up for toilet paper.
Fish and chips in newspaper.
Gas mantles as no electricity.

Rowantree Sat 01-Apr-23 09:21:48

Lovetopaint037 ahhhh, newspaper for toilet paper! I've always been baffled how that worked. Surely it didn't flush? What did people do with it post-use??

I remember the coal man coming through the house with sacks of coal for our coal bunker.

My mother made me wear a liberty bodice when everyone else was wearing bras - hideously embarrassing when changing for PT.

Rowantree Sat 01-Apr-23 09:23:43

More toilet paper: at school we had nasty medicated shiny toilet paper with 'London County Council' stamped on it.
Our toilets had wooden seats and were accessed outside the school building.

Granmarderby10 Sat 01-Apr-23 09:32:19

No liberty bodices for me …far too young..so glad about that as they sound itchy.
Probably St. Michael (M&S) vests and matching knickers and very cute they were too sometimes matching socks😊

Grandma70s Sat 01-Apr-23 10:07:27

Mrs Dale’s Diary on the radio - sorry, wireless. It always seemed to be on when I came home from school.

Witzend Tue 04-Apr-23 08:55:38

Grammareto, we still have milk delivered in glass bottles, and a daily paper, too.

wildswan16 Tue 04-Apr-23 09:21:08

Leather school satchels, and new Clarks leather sandals before the new school term started.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Apr-23 11:24:40

Granmarderby10

No liberty bodices for me …far too young..so glad about that as they sound itchy.
Probably St. Michael (M&S) vests and matching knickers and very cute they were too sometimes matching socks😊

Liberty bodices weren't itchy, they had a lovely soft fleece lining like cotton wool.
They weren't high fashion but in the days before central heating they kept us warm smile

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Apr-23 11:26:14

Grannynannywanny

When I was a nurse in the early 70s I remember each hospital ward had a food scrap dustbin. It was collected daily and sold on to be used as pig food.

Mum's friends had a farm and a local hotel sent leftover food for pig swill, they were the best fed pigs in the County grin

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 04-Apr-23 11:59:02

The service road behind houses was the ten-foot in Hull.

Liamjaik Tue 04-Apr-23 12:48:32

It is difficult to say what the younger generation has missed because it differs from individual to another. Some may claim they missed out on simpler times, while others may say they missed out on childhood bliss. In any event, it is essential to keep in mind that each generation has its own unique experiences, and no one should feel that they are missing out on anything.

HousePlantQueen Tue 04-Apr-23 18:38:32

Never mind all this nonsense about horses and carts, harsh loo paper and liberty bodices, this generation will never know the angst of (a) meeting a lad and hoping he would phone you and (b) hoping your Mum wouldn't answer the phone when he did. The agonies of trying to have a private phone conversation with your parents listening. 🙄.and your Dad pointing at his watch We had a phone installed when I was in my teens. Does anyone else remember Dial a Disc?

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Apr-23 23:50:44

HousePlantQueen

Never mind all this nonsense about horses and carts, harsh loo paper and liberty bodices, this generation will never know the angst of (a) meeting a lad and hoping he would phone you and (b) hoping your Mum wouldn't answer the phone when he did. The agonies of trying to have a private phone conversation with your parents listening. 🙄.and your Dad pointing at his watch We had a phone installed when I was in my teens. Does anyone else remember Dial a Disc?

We never had a phone so I never endured that! 😂

nanna8 Wed 05-Apr-23 01:15:54

Rowantree

More toilet paper: at school we had nasty medicated shiny toilet paper with 'London County Council' stamped on it.
Our toilets had wooden seats and were accessed outside the school building.

Ohh- I remember that awful stuff, too. Looking back at a negative thing I think many people were very cruel to their children then with beatings and thrashing considered normal. There was a lot of anger, probably an effect of the war. Glad that that sort of physical punishment is now illegal .

HousePlantQueen Wed 05-Apr-23 14:07:15

Callistemon21

HousePlantQueen

We never had a phone so I never endured that! 😂

small mercies Callistemon grin. We had one installed quite a lot earlier than friends and relatives because we lived a long way away from family and Dad's job wanted him to have one.

Ali08 Mon 24-Apr-23 03:43:58

NanaDana very funny Western 😆😆

We had mangles at school. They were brilliant. I'd love one, espewhen washing things like duvets and blankets etc.