Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

🐝 The Great British Sewing Bee 🐝

(174 Posts)
Millie22 Thu 11-May-23 08:52:25

The new series of Sewing Bee is back on Wednesday 24th May ✂️✂️✂️

grannydarkhair Fri 12-May-23 18:42:21

Calendargirl Sara Pascoe is the presenter you’re not keen on, you’re not alone in that going by previous Sewing Bee threads.

M0nica Fri 12-May-23 18:47:15

Yes, I too am a fan of Jo Lycett. I didn't much like Sarah Pascoe, she seemed to think the program was all about her, but anything is better than Claudia Winkleman, I thought she was excrable.

Chardy Sat 13-May-23 07:27:10

I've been watching the last series again this week, and I really enjoyed it.

Sparklefizz Sat 13-May-23 07:53:24

Definitely not a fan of Sara Pascoe so I hope she's not presenting again.

MrsKen33 Thu 18-May-23 18:44:34

Has Esme retired.?

MrsKen33 Thu 18-May-23 19:03:02

Just realised I have been watching Series 1 Episode 1 ,. Silly me 🤔

Auntieflo Fri 19-May-23 09:06:43

I'm afraid that she is Sparklefizz.
Reading next week's Radio Times, there she was. Shame, I was hoping that she would have been replaced.

Sparklefizz Fri 19-May-23 09:51:27

Auntieflo

I'm afraid that she is Sparklefizz.
Reading next week's Radio Times, there she was. Shame, I was hoping that she would have been replaced.

sad

grandMattie Fri 19-May-23 09:53:56

I too will join the club of "anti-Sarah Pascoe" as presenter.
I don't understand why they need a comedian to present it. Someone with a sense of humour perhaps, but a comedian? It seems to be so for all that sort of programme. I wonder why?

Millie22 Fri 19-May-23 11:33:13

Mrs Ken
No Esme will be back for the new series.

Norah
Thanks for your contribution. Good luck with your decorating 😂

halfpint1 Fri 19-May-23 12:08:26

I like watching it and I don't need to be entertained by crass
comments or sewers 'with character'. So much seems to be
turned into a 'show business' mode , for me its not necessary
the competion is enough.
I did enjoy Claudia Winkleman.

Millie22 Thu 25-May-23 08:31:34

An interesting start last night. I quite liked some of the cut out dresses. Not sure about the transformation challenge 🤔

Joseann Thu 25-May-23 08:40:42

I felt sorry for the person who left in week one but it was the right decision and I have to agree with Primrose that she may well have been in the programme for other reasons. There's also a distinct lack of men, only 3 I think, but the winner's garment this week was spot on. There was also a nice maxi dress in Dior style and as usual, the doctor, Amaa (?) is meticulous in her craft.

Grandmabatty Thu 25-May-23 08:50:04

I really enjoyed it last night. I did fear the Scottish lass was going home first but the right decision was made. They seem like a nice bunch of people and I thought they were very caring to the person who was so obviously struggling. I look forward to seeing how they progress. I don't mind Sara Pascoe.

Grammaretto Thu 25-May-23 08:59:09

I missed the beginning but got the gist
I agree that the contestants are selected by their other than sewing skills
I felt for the lass who left .
I missed the first challenge but the garment if the week was very conventional and hit the brief perfectly so maybe sewing skills will win the day?

DanniRae Thu 25-May-23 12:46:30

I really enjoyed the first episode .... however it's Esme who annoys me ..... I don't mind Sara at all!

Visgir1 Thu 25-May-23 13:34:02

Glad it back, I said to DH if I was 20 years younger and my hands not so Arthritic I would have loved to have a go to get onto the program. Probably first person out thought 😂.

mrswoo Thu 25-May-23 13:47:33

I enjoyed it last night but feel that maybe the format is getting a bit tired.
I like Esme - but she worries me as her voice seems very quiet and breathless. I saw her recently at Hexham book festival where she spoke of her deafness which she has had since childhood.

Chardy Tue 30-May-23 19:59:50

Recorded the repeat on late Monday night. It's lovely to have 3 strong male contenders.

BlueBelle Tue 30-May-23 20:27:35

I don’t mind Sara pasco and I liked Claudia Winkleman but didn’t enjoy Joe Lycette at all I too don’t know why they have to have a comedian I find Esme a bit strange and don’t think her voice sounds right either. I hope she’s not ill
Getting back to the show I felt very sorry for the girl that went home but she did get it wrong The bloke that won was definitely the best but I thought Asmma was all round good very clever and precise
Really disliked the transformation that won that awful shirt thing with strips across looked awful can’t imagine why that won that round

Joseann Thu 01-Jun-23 07:25:09

I think I'm going to say it again this week, Asmaa appears to be out in front. But fancy ironing a swimsuit! Of course it will melt!

Grandmabatty Thu 01-Jun-23 07:46:57

I think there are many excellent sewers this series who all have character too. The person who went home this week deserved to go in my opinion as they were not in the same league as the rest and didn't take Patrick's advice. They did seem really nice though.

Millie22 Thu 01-Jun-23 09:00:40

I agree with you Joseann Asmaa is clearly very talented but what was she thinking ironing a swimsuit!

All the rucksacks were good as they would be really difficult to make in the time allowed. Getting the straps on and the right way round.

M0nica Thu 01-Jun-23 09:10:15

mrswoo DD commented on Esme's voice, I hadn't moticed.

It is relief to see that all the surgeons who come on Sewing Bee (the previous one a few years ago, won) are good at sewing. It would be rather disconcerting to have a surgeon who was bad at sewing!

Callistemon21 Thu 01-Jun-23 10:13:44

mrswoo

I enjoyed it last night but feel that maybe the format is getting a bit tired.
I like Esme - but she worries me as her voice seems very quiet and breathless. I saw her recently at Hexham book festival where she spoke of her deafness which she has had since childhood.

I wondered if she's asthmatic? She did seem breathless.

And I hadn't realised she was partially deaf.

It is relief to see that all the surgeons who come on Sewing Bee (the previous one a few years ago, won) are good at sewing. It would be rather disconcerting to have a surgeon who was bad at sewing!
Yes, I said that too. Asmaa is very meticulous and neat. My money's on her at the moment but things could change.

There does seem to be a format with all such programmes though, perhaps because people are not always picked for their aptitude and talents, more because they fit certain criteria.