Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

How to make beeswax polish

(15 Posts)
singingnutty Sun 23-Jul-23 10:33:33

A friend has given me some beeswax blocks and I would like to use them to treat our oak table. I did this about a year ago with some I bought online but it was only a small tin. I found some information that suggested using one part beeswax to three parts olive oil to make your own. Can anyone advise if this is ok please. I would like to use the beeswax seeing as I have it rather than buy online again.

B9exchange Thu 27-Jul-23 18:31:44

From the Neve's Bees website

Basic Recipe for Beeswax Polish

15g beeswax (this is one of our little hexagons) – click here if you want more info
45g oil (olive oil, Hazelnut oil, linseed oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil all work well – some products even use avocado oil!)
10 – 20 drops of essential oil such as lavender, sandalwood (this one’s really expensive and is an endangered species) or other woody scents such as pine, or cypress or cedarwood are nice.
Optional 10 drops of Vitamin E oil (Wheatgerm oil) or rosemary which act as antioxidants and extend the life of the oil.

This will make around 60g of polish – about enough to fill a standard sized shoe polish tin. If you want to make more, simply increase the materials proportionately – i.e. to make double this, use 30g beeswax (two of our little hexagons), 90g oil and 20 – 40 drops of essential oil etc.

Put the 45g oil and beeswax in a bain marie (or a pyrex / metal jug in a pan of boiling water) and heat it gently, stirring occasionally until the beeswax melts (this will take about 5 -10 minutes). Then remove from the heat and add the essential oil and optional vitamin E oil (or other antioxidant oil) and stir well.

Finally, pour the melted mixture into a tin or glass container and allow to set (this takes about 10 minutes) (top tip – don’t use a container with a narrow neck because it’ll be difficult to get the polish out!)

leoa69 Tue 26-Sep-23 07:22:02

To whip up some beeswax polish, start by melting a part of beeswax with three parts of oil, like olive or coconut, using a double boiler. Once it's all nice and melted, pour it into a container and let it cool and harden. Then, you can rub this lovely homemade mixture onto your wooden surfaces for a natural and protective shine.
youtubevanced.org

MerylStreep Tue 26-Sep-23 07:29:06

There are lots of videos on YouTube.
Here’s just one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiS2qGGup6c

Jucky78 Wed 08-Nov-23 07:36:58

To create your own beeswax polish, begin by melting one part beeswax with three parts oil (such as olive or coconut) using a double boiler. After melting, transfer the mixture into a container and allow it to cool and solidify. Once hardened, apply this homemade blend onto your wooden surfaces to achieve a natural and protective shine, enhancing the beauty of your furniture. youtubevanceds.org

relaxmody Mon 11-Dec-23 04:07:33

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

relaxmody Mon 11-Dec-23 04:13:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Dec-23 06:29:46

We always made this with equal(ish) quantities of refined or very clean beeswax, genuine turpentine (not turps substitute) and boiled linseed oil. You warm the very clean wax it in a double boiler and basically mix it all together adding more or less of the ingredients to make it thicker or creamier. I think it was usually best to keep the linseed and turps roughly equal.

Make sure the beeswax is very clean - you don't want to have any bits in or you may scratch your furniture.

Gwyllt Mon 11-Dec-23 08:08:15

Have made beeswax polish in past as kept bees
Smells fantastic but you should add elbow grease into the mix lots of it
Beeswax and almond oil makes fantastic lip salve. Must be good teenage boys used to use the pot I left in the cloakroom

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Dec-23 08:56:50

We also kept bees Gwyllt - sadly no longer. I really miss them.

prince12 Tue 27-Feb-24 03:57:48

prince12 Tue 27-Feb-24 04:00:25

Fairislecable Tue 27-Feb-24 06:57:31

Reported

smits Sat 30-Mar-24 05:56:45

smits Sat 30-Mar-24 05:58:25

The answer might include instructions on melting beeswax, mixing it with oil, and applying the polish to wood for a natural, protective finish.

whatsgbpro.org/fmwhatsapp-apk/