Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting socks

(50 Posts)
Lilliesmum79 Tue 22-Aug-23 10:00:28

I'm currently knitting socks for my family for Christmas. I've just realised I could sit for hrs knitting is this normal. When I'm not minding Grandkids or looking after my dogs and cat I'm knitting! How long do you knit for each day?

Georgesgran Tue 22-Aug-23 10:05:10

As I can’t knit and never wanted to learn, it’s a zero from me. However, my Sis-inL who is very fit and active at 76 has started to knit blanket squares for her local hospital. She often spends an hour or so knitting, usually nights when she isn’t out gallivanting! It’s a bit of a joke, as she says she’s turning into her Mother - hope not, she was a horror!

Shelflife Tue 22-Aug-23 10:33:44

Haven't knitted for many years , if I did I would not be knitting socks !!???
Each to their own, I am sure the ducks will be very warm and cosy.

Shelflife Tue 22-Aug-23 10:34:08

Socks 🧦!

Harris27 Tue 22-Aug-23 10:39:36

I love knitting sit for hours it’s my Prozac! Love it! Can’t wait to retire and knit when I want to!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Aug-23 10:45:36

Oh! That is exactly what I plan to do. I thought I’d start after my holiday . I have a strawberry pattern for one lot and am looking at others.

Doodledog Tue 22-Aug-23 11:02:38

I knit a lot. I can’t do nothing, so when I watch tv I knit. I knit on buses and trains, and whenever I’m sitting down.

Caravansera Tue 22-Aug-23 11:30:44

I went through a phases of very enthusiastic sock knitting but haven’t knitted any in the last few years. I loved all the self-striping and silky yarns plus all the different ways of casting on, binding off and turning heels.

I do still love to knit, crochet and sew and always have something on the go. I have different projects scattered around the house which I add a few rows or stitches to each day depending on which room I happen to be in. I always carry a small piece of crochet or hand sewing in my bag to work on when I’m out.

The amount of time varies but I can happily sit for several hours crafting while listening to the radio or an audio book or podcast. It’s rare for me to watch TV and not be knitting at the same time.

The picture shows the the sewn invisible ribbed bind off described in Leslie Ann Bestor's book Cast On Bind Off. I was very proud with how neat this was. The socks were a gift to a dear friend who has since died. She was another keen knitter. We often swapped handmade gifts.

The yarn is Dazzle by Natural Dye Studio in colourway Shere Khan. I think NDS is no longer trading. Nor is the shop where I bought the yarn but there are a number of Ravelry members with stash who are willing to trade or sell.

Witzend Tue 22-Aug-23 17:37:56

I can easily spend half the afternoon and much of the evening knitting.

Witzend Tue 22-Aug-23 17:39:21

Meant to add, socks have always struck me as too much of a fiddle, though.

Callistemon21 Tue 22-Aug-23 17:47:18

My friend knits socks and gave me a lovely book with a lot of patterns in ot.

I've yet to knit a pair.

Doodledog Tue 22-Aug-23 17:48:08

They are easy when you get the hang of them, and are very satisfying as they appear on the needles like magic - particularly if you use the patterned sock yarn that knits the pattern in for you grin. I sometimes struggle with the motivation to knit a second one though.

Callistemon21 Tue 22-Aug-23 17:51:21

Georgesgran

As I can’t knit and never wanted to learn, it’s a zero from me. However, my Sis-inL who is very fit and active at 76 has started to knit blanket squares for her local hospital. She often spends an hour or so knitting, usually nights when she isn’t out gallivanting! It’s a bit of a joke, as she says she’s turning into her Mother - hope not, she was a horror!

I used to knit (now crochet) and must have knit hundreds of squares in between other projects, which were turned into blankets for refugees. It's something that requires very little concentration so can be done in front of the telly.
Thank goodness other people were happy to sew them together. 🙂

Oldnproud Tue 22-Aug-23 17:54:20

Whatever craft project I am on at the time, I want to spend all the time I can in it. That includes knitting.
I've always been the same.

I really resent having to stop what I am doing to make meals, though obviously I have to since I don't live alone, but cups of tea are often still sitting next to me, untouched and stone cold, hours after they were made because I am so engrossed in my activity.

Oldnproud Tue 22-Aug-23 17:59:04

In fact, personally, I would say that my activities border on obsessions.
Over the years, I have raalized that I have a lot of autistic traits and in my case, I think this might be one of those traits.

MrsKen33 Tue 22-Aug-23 18:33:03

Depends really. I can knit a pair of socks in a day if I am disposed too. I have a shawl in progress which I sometimes leave for days. Just depends on what else I’m doing and whether my dodgy shoulder is pain free. Knitting aggravates it a lot.

RosesandLilac Tue 22-Aug-23 19:12:48

I happily knit socks, I think it’s over 55 pairs now 😊
I cannot sit and do nothing, nor watch tv without knitting.
I probably have enough yarn in my stash for another 50 pairs!

Chardy Tue 22-Aug-23 20:17:21

I can only manage to knit (or crochet) for about an hour and half before my hands shout "ENOUGH"

lixy Tue 22-Aug-23 20:25:26

I love knitting socks - they can be so quirky!

I an happy to knit/crochet in the evenings and whenever travelling long distances. At home during the day it feels like an indulgence, but somehow getting the sewing machine out is perfectly fine!

Lilliesmum79 Tue 22-Aug-23 20:28:49

I must admit I find it very hypnotic and relaxing when I start. I started off only in 2018 I think in a wee free knitting and crochet group in my local library. Just started doing squares then I started doing little baby clothes. Then onto adult cardigan and jumpers love doing aran so satisfying. But thought I'd give socks a wee go about 2 yrs ago took me mths to knit first one. Now I'm doing one pair in week I love doing them

Primrose53 Tue 22-Aug-23 20:34:56

Shelflife

Haven't knitted for many years , if I did I would not be knitting socks !!???
Each to their own, I am sure the ducks will be very warm and cosy.

Knitting socks is really popular. It is very on trend and loads of young people knit socks.

have lost count of how many pairs I have made. My son loves them for cycling and motor biking and my daughter and husband are horse riders and they love them and I walk a lot so use them with hiking boots.

With knitted socks you get better quality, they don’t smell and you can make them to measure unlike mass produced ones that either pinch your toes or bulk up in your boots. The yarn comes in fantastic colourways and is self patterning so they look like complicated fairisle when, in fact, all you are doing is a knit stitch. Most of them you can machine wash and they last for years.

Just a few pairs I’ve knitted.

Primrose53 Tue 22-Aug-23 20:42:06

I also love using 4 needles and then 5 for turning the heel.

When my Mum died I made sure they put a pair of handknitted socks on her in the coffin as she always felt the cold and loved knitting socks too. She was then wrapped up in a large crochet throw I made her. Snug as a bug!

Witzend Wed 23-Aug-23 11:05:13

I’m a bit like you, Oldandproud - I like to get things finished! And on to the next.
I hate housework so it’s always a good excuse for avoiding it! The charity I mostly knit for always has a huge waiting list for the items so that’s my justification. 🙂

Witzend Wed 23-Aug-23 17:47:32

OldnProud, that should have read.

Hiraeth Wed 23-Aug-23 21:43:11

I love knitting socks I’m knitting them now for Christmas presents . I use 4 needles