Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Do you have a wool stash ?

(30 Posts)
paris123 Wed 07-Feb-24 11:56:30

oh dear, mine has got out of hand sad

l decided this morning to tackle it and im resting now as its too much to sort in one go.
l bought 10 totes to put the wool in colour order, as the totes stack on each other & will fit in a space nk to my wardrobe in my bedroom. Now ll have them for easy access and not all over the place in the spare room.
where do you all keep your wool stash ?

karmalady Wed 07-Feb-24 12:01:37

I have a wool stash and I keep mine in zipped, moth -proof, see-through bags. On shelves in a cupboard upstairs

nanna8 Wed 07-Feb-24 12:02:47

I have a little room next to the bedroom that used to be a gun room ( before our time ) and I keep it in there. The trouble is there are many different balls but not enough of any one colour to make jumpers unless I do multi coloured ones. I have a great big sealed plastic container in there. I used to leave it unsealed but the rotten moths got to it and also my cats liked to steal it and unravel it.

pen50 Wed 07-Feb-24 12:07:52

I suffer from SBALX - Stash Beyond All Life Expectancy. I don't envy my children.

Esmay Wed 07-Feb-24 12:08:43

A wool stash , a fabric stash and an embroidery silk stash plus lots of my art materials - all put in see through boxes and slowly getting labelled and used !

It's so easy to get to excited and buy too much !

Gymstagran Wed 07-Feb-24 12:11:49

I inherited my moms wool stash and used most of it up by knitting jumpers for babies overseas. They just had to be bright colours and multi colored were acceptable.

Purplepixie Wed 07-Feb-24 12:34:17

Yes! I have the conservatory to use as my craft room. In there are boxes of wool, fabric, sewing thread, embroidery threads etc. I have decided to have a sort through in the summer and give some to the charity shop. I do make things from my stash but it has got out of hand and I do not want my kids to have to deal with it in the future. But I love that fuzzy feeling when I buy new yarn and new patterns. I know I am not alone.

DamaskRose Wed 07-Feb-24 12:40:25

I’m lucky enough to have a craft room/study and that where my stash is. I’ve just paid for a treat for my children and grandchildren because I must stop spending my pension on yarn and fabric!!

ginny Wed 07-Feb-24 13:51:30

Do I have a wool stash ? 😂😂😂
Do I have a room full of craft stash ? It’s my happy place.

Kim19 Wed 07-Feb-24 14:09:13

I do. Just something else I should be getting rid of. Thanks for the prompt.

Witzend Wed 07-Feb-24 16:17:59

Mine virtually fills a good-sized 3 drawer chest in a spare room.
Not that it’s wool - it’s virtually all acrylic, which is fine for the things I make.

At the moment I’m trying to reduce it a bit, choosing things to make according to what colours I’ve got, but all too often there isn’t quite enough of one colour, so that means yet another order to Wool Warehouse….

I can’t use just any old colours - they’re all children’s therapy items, so they need to be as colourful and appealing as possible.
My stuffing stash takes up a fair bit of room, too!

Parsley3 Wed 07-Feb-24 16:25:45

I have one in a chest in the bedroom. I used up a lot of it a few years ago by knitting a memory blanket with all the leftovers from knitting for my grandchildren. I will continue to add to the blanket now by crocheting a border. The grandchildren love it as it is on the bed they use for sleepovers.

J52 Wed 07-Feb-24 16:58:06

In a large wicker hamper in the spare bedroom

RosesandLilac Wed 07-Feb-24 17:17:02

Ummm……. I have an ottoman bed, it’s two thirds full of yarn and there’s several bags and totes with more WIPs.
I have decided to leave a list of who my DCs need to contact to collect crafting supplies etc when I pop my clogs 😄, various friends and village clubs will benefit!

Gwyllt Wed 07-Feb-24 17:38:19

Not any more
Sent mine to charity shop
Still knit but know I won’t use it

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Feb-24 18:38:30

It's so easy to get to excited and buy too much!
Esmay I know the feeling!

I am being resolute at the moment though.
And gave some away to a craft group.

It's in the under stairs cupboard which is not ideal and I may have to find another home which is more accessible.

Chardy Wed 07-Feb-24 18:48:20

Several big plastic boxes and one very big plastic box 4 feet long 2 foot high.

lixy Thu 08-Feb-24 07:43:25

I do have a stash - it's limited to the drawer under my bed.
I'm currently in 'use up' mode so am making small jumpers, hats, toys, mug warmers, squares for a blanket my knitting group is making.
My aim is a drawer clear of odds and ends before we have a holiday in the States in the summer. I'm going to visit their brilliant craft shops with an empty bag!

SheepyIzzy Thu 08-Feb-24 07:55:03

Much smaller now, fortunately. Whenever I saw the wool I liked, I bought it, this was when it was £1 or less for 100g. Trips to Rhyl, via Abakhan usually resulted in large bags bought, again, when it used to be cheap. Blankets and hats were my speciality. But then I kept dropping the crochet hooks, couldn't even hold the curved arthritic kind, surgery etc, I can hold the hooks now but not for long periods (same with cutlery). A lot went via eBay and preloved. What I have now fills a 20litre plastic box.

Esmay Thu 08-Feb-24 09:24:36

Callistemon - I think that I have a seige mentality !

I have huge stocks of canned food for emergencies .

The other day , I couldn't resist buying lots of wool when I went for my blood test .
I'd given away three huge storage boxes full of wool to a friend a couple of years ago !

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Feb-24 09:29:29

I have about 15 or 20 pretty big very useful storage boxes about 800cm × 400cm x 300cm. They are, I think, the 50 litre size and are stacked in banks of 4 to 7 wherever I can fit them. I can't manage with bigger ones because of the weight.
Each one holds about 15 large(ish) commercial cones.

I also have two cupboards full and a bookcase.
More than enough for my lifetime. 🙄

TinSoldier Thu 08-Feb-24 09:57:33

Yes, I do. I keep it in large plastic boxes in a spare room, organised into yarn weight with one box for my “best” yarns. These are the lovely hanks of wool I have bought over time from independent spinners and dyers, online or at shows.

If go to London for the day. I usually try to fit in a visit to Loop in Camden Passage, Islington and inevitably end up buying more yarn.

Last year, I did sell some yarns I had bought with specific projects in mind but years later, knew I was unlikely ever to get around to doing them.

Once a year, I bag up all the odds and ends and offer them on Freecycle. They are usually taken by people who knit toys, twiddlemuffs, crochet granny squares or amigurumi.

Liz46 Thu 08-Feb-24 10:40:46

Yes, our smallest bedroom is full of plastic boxes of wool, buttons etc. I have made hundreds of cannula sleeves with safe ‘twiddles’ for our local hospital.
I have seen crochet balls that can be fiddled with but haven’t mastered that yet.

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Feb-24 10:45:44

Esmay

Callistemon - I think that I have a seige mentality !

I have huge stocks of canned food for emergencies .

The other day , I couldn't resist buying lots of wool when I went for my blood test .
I'd given away three huge storage boxes full of wool to a friend a couple of years ago !

I've been remarkably restrained lately!

Gingster Thu 08-Feb-24 12:05:31

I gave mine away to DIL and dgd’s but have now started crocheting again and I’m more more wool 🤦‍♀️