Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Yay! Learning to knit continental style 😁

(92 Posts)
Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 18:48:32

I have tried twice in the past to knit continental style but it's never worked out for me. Everything seemed back to front and confusing. Not that it should; after all I crochet. I decided to give it a final go - and finally it clicked. It did help that I found a very good tutor on YouTube. So I have been knitting like mad, trying to perfect my stitches which are rather bumpy and uneven. I keep dropping them too. I feel as though I am 8 years old again and learning to knit for the first time ever 😂. Here's a photo of my knitting. No laughing allowed 🤭

grandtanteJE65 Sat 10-Feb-24 18:51:53

I gave up on the British way of knitting when I was seven, and got my mother to teach me the Continental way. It is faster, easier and better for your wrists.

I am by no means an expert knitter, but my knitting is not bumpy, so perservere.

Or as my Grannie said, " If at once you don't suceed, try, try, and try again!"

Primrose53 Sat 10-Feb-24 18:52:44

Looks great. 👏👏 I usually knit socks the continental way apart from turning the heel. My late MIL was German and knitted that way and was so fast and even.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Feb-24 18:53:07

So as a non knitter what’s the difference ?

Siope Sat 10-Feb-24 18:59:23

Well done! Somehow, as a child I learned continental style, although my mother, who taught me, never knitted that way.

I rarely knit, so am poor at it, but at least I’m fast 😂

Oldnproud Sat 10-Feb-24 19:22:11

I have gone over to the continental way too, Fairycakes in the last couple of years.
Initially, it was because I wanted to improve my fairisle by being able to knit with one colour in each hand. It took a lot of practice, but for me it was the realization that my left hand did most of the yarn work with no problem at all when I crochet that helped me over the mental block of using that hand for knitting too.

Overall I much prefer it now, though I don't enjoy purling in it as much as knitting (especially that awkward first stitch of each purl row!), and I still resort back to my old way on rows that call for a lot of kfb-type increases or other similar things.

Your photo doesn't look bad to me - keep up the good work ☺

Mogsmaw Sat 10-Feb-24 20:08:22

BlueBelle

So as a non knitter what’s the difference ?

British style knitters hold the yarn in their right hand and “throw” it over the needle to make a stitch.
Continental knitters hold the yarn in their right hand and “pluck” the yarn with the needle.
As a non-knitter this might not make any sense, but if you try it, it will.

Mogsmaw Sat 10-Feb-24 20:22:51

Of course continental knitters hold the yarn in their LEFT hand! ( I blame dyslexic and dyspraxia) but I, do knit in a sort of continental style all of my own.

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 20:32:27

I'm not looking forward to learning the purl stitch, Oldnproud. It definitely looks more difficult. But in for a penny, in for a pound 😁.

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 20:34:46

Primrose, my mum's friend is German, and after watching how fast she knitted, I decided to give it another go.

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 20:36:18

BlueBelle, fancy a new hobby? How's about taking up knitting? 😀

Doodledog Sat 10-Feb-24 20:47:39

I have tried to do it continental style (oo er, Missus!), but just can't do it. I blame muscle memory, as I can't crochet either - my hands just want to move as though to knit English style, 'throwing' the yarn.

winterwhite Sat 10-Feb-24 21:13:45

Me too, Doodledog and I never learned to crochet either - I think Brown Owl had to take a couple of aspirins every time she thought of it.
Is the continental way easier on ageing hands?? That would be an incentive.

Esmay Sat 10-Feb-24 21:25:58

Very well done Fairycakes !
I think that I'll stick with the British method of knitting !
My German sister in law used to tell me that the German way was superior .
I just watched a YouTube video of Tunisian crochet .
I thought , that's really great I'll be able to do that and then , I looked at the end result - it looked just like stocking stitch and even I can do that basic knit stitch !

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Feb-24 21:29:17

I'll take a look!

I've been trying to teach myself a different way to crochet from YouTube, which feels awkward, but it's because my index finger is sore and becoming lumpy

Primrose53 Sat 10-Feb-24 21:38:11

There are loads of videos on YouTube of Continental Knitting if anybody fancies a look.

Auntieflo Sat 10-Feb-24 21:58:14

I want to try and learn the Continental way, as my wrists hurt these days. Just need to find a project and go slowly, and watch some You Tube videos.
Well done Fairycakes.

flappergirl Sat 10-Feb-24 23:26:22

I wish I knew how to knit any way at all. I was always hopeless at knitting, sewing, crafts and the like. It must be so satisfying and relaxing.

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 23:29:02

Hi, Esmay, yes, the knitting will look the same, it's just a faster way to knit and it's meant to be less taxing on the joints. I fancied a challenge - and here I am! grin. Still, I might regret it when I have to learn the purl stitch. It looks much harder than the knit stitch.

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Feb-24 23:33:16

I've taken a look and it would be no good for me as it's my index finger which is having problems.

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 23:36:06

Thank you, everyone for your encouragement. If anyone else fancies having a go at continental knitting, YouTube (as others have mentioned) is the place to go.

This is the tutorial that I am following. I tried others but this is the one that I found easiest to follow:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLSaApeG-vY

He's a German knitter called NimbleNeedles, and he has lots of other videos on continental knitting.

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 23:38:55

flappergirl, have a go! What have you got to lose? grin. It is relaxing and very therapeutic .

Esmay Sun 11-Feb-24 21:00:22

Hi Fairycakes -if it's less taxing on the joints then , it's a great idea !

I'm going to ask my knitting /crochet genius friend about it at craft group .

I'm in the middle of another project and I've strained my thumb joint .

Fairycakes Sun 11-Feb-24 21:53:56

Esmay, it's worth having a look at it. It might work out well for you. I have just started learning the purl stitch today. It was difficult at first but it's getting easier. I have mild arthritis in my fingers so I am hoping the continental style of knitting will be less taxing. I hope your thumb joint feels better soon.

BlueBelle Sun 11-Feb-24 22:51:07

Coming from an East coast former fishing town I grew up seeing the Scottish fisher girls walking round town knitting I doubt anyone could go faster never seeming to even look at their work I m guessing they knitted the British way
I used to be a good crocheter but can’t follow a pattern now it’s really annoying I made my girls lovely white silk christening dresses can’t even make a daisy now…. I have tried