Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Ironing board cover - Sewing

(12 Posts)
Welshy Wed 27-Mar-24 14:18:49

This is a long shot ...... My daughter and myself both have the Keter Lotus Ironing board (Now called Keter Curver) Which if we don't find a solution soon will both end up in landfill both perfectly good boards.

We cannot find a cover for it anywhere due to it's design. Even the Minky smart fit that's supposed to fit all boards don't fit. Previously we purchased them from Keter direct and paid about £12. Now they no longer sell them.

You can still purchase the boards but I think they are soon to be discontinued too.

The cover is 117 x 40 but like I said it's because of the design of the board.

I don't sew myself so I just wondered if anyone could help.

Thank you

Welshy Wed 27-Mar-24 14:22:42

Someones review on Amazon ............ Great ironing board, really sturdy, would highly recommend it for ironing, BUT and it's a big but you'll notice, both times we've needed to replace the cover, finding a compatible cover is nigh on impossible. Try it, google Keter 45 ironing board cover and everywhere that should stock them, is out of stock, always. With hindsight would have bought a generic sturdy one where the covers from anywhere fit. Problem is the lip at the bottom edge, needs a special type of design.

Welshy Wed 27-Mar-24 14:28:18

Also when I asked about the covers on Amazon, one lady replied with this. But you can't reply back to her direct sad

You are absolutely right, I haven’t managed to find a cover that fits either! As I am a dressmaker I have been lucky to make a cover. I bought an extra large new cover, ironed the old cover flat then used it as a pattern to recut a new cover from a new ironing board cover I bought. I stitched a deep bias binding all the way round the edge and threaded some elastic through and pilled it up. It is perfect. It was the only way I could solve the problem. It is a brilliant ironing board cover, but to not make replacement new covers is madness. I hope this helps in some way.

Stansgran Wed 27-Mar-24 14:30:31

Can you not unpick the worn one and take a pattern from it? I have a Brabantia and can never remember the size when I bought a new cover ,they all look the same,so bought the largest and cut to shape.

Stansgran Wed 27-Mar-24 14:31:43

Sorry,slow typist,Welshy beat me to it.

Susie42 Thu 28-Mar-24 09:59:40

I sent two old ironing boards to a local charity who were collecting equipment for an African charity. Don’t send to landfill as they still can be used.

eddiecat78 Thu 28-Mar-24 14:26:56

Look at ironingboardcovers.co.uk. Sadly they no longer make made to measure covers but do still have large sizes. I've had 2 from them and they are very good quality

midgey Thu 28-Mar-24 14:30:39

Long time ago ironing board covers were an unknown thing! Have you an old blanket or sheet that you can use?

Welshy Fri 29-Mar-24 15:35:41

Stansgran

Sorry,slow typist,Welshy beat me to it.

I can't sew unfortunately sad

Welshy Fri 29-Mar-24 15:37:59

eddiecat78

Look at ironingboardcovers.co.uk. Sadly they no longer make made to measure covers but do still have large sizes. I've had 2 from them and they are very good quality

Thank you eddiecat78. I have looked everywhere. As I said it's the design of the board

Welshy Fri 29-Mar-24 15:42:37

midgey

Long time ago ironing board covers were an unknown thing! Have you an old blanket or sheet that you can use?

I guess that would be fine when ironing things flat. I tend to use the tapered end of the board a lot.

Welshy Fri 29-Mar-24 15:43:46

Susie42

I sent two old ironing boards to a local charity who were collecting equipment for an African charity. Don’t send to landfill as they still can be used.

If it comes to that & I hope not. Then that is an idea. Thank you