Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing Bee 2026

(211 Posts)
PiscesLady Wed 17-Jun-26 19:40:24

Starts on 28th July. Let's hope it's a good one!

M0nica Tue 15-Sept-26 22:21:20

JenniRen

It's interesting that the contestants' best friends look so much like them! Likes attract.

With due respect I really hope that no one would confuse me with my best friend, much as I love her.

Grandmabatty Tue 15-Sept-26 21:13:30

It could have gone to two of them tonight. I would have been equally as happy. Great finalists, great girls.

JenniRen Tue 15-Sept-26 20:45:20

Oh! Sophie just said the same as me 😀

JenniRen Tue 15-Sept-26 20:42:21

It's interesting that the contestants' best friends look so much like them! Likes attract.

Sandrina Tue 15-Sept-26 20:25:39

Yaaay 👏

Millie22 Tue 15-Sept-26 20:02:38

It's the final 🪡

JoyBloggs Thu 10-Sept-26 21:06:14

Luckygirl3

All I could think about Anna's dress was that if the model were to sit down the skirt would pop.up in the air and expose her knickers! And goodness knows how she would manage in the loo! More of a sculpture than a garment I felt.

I think that Beth is the solid member. Not as flamboyant as the other 2 finalists but everything she does is beautifully executed.

Agree 100% with you Luckygirl3. I had the very same thoughts about Anna's dress. I really want Beth to win. I think she is very talented and she seems such a lovely person too!

Cossy Thu 10-Sept-26 20:42:38

Sew on a button haha

Cossy Thu 10-Sept-26 20:42:23

I can barely see on a button and am always in awe of these wonder people!

I “inherited” a very basic sewing machine, with a manual, I cannot even even thread it 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

I was put off sewing for life by a vile sewing teacher!

Luckygirl3 Thu 10-Sept-26 18:44:50

All I could think about Anna's dress was that if the model were to sit down the skirt would pop.up in the air and expose her knickers! And goodness knows how she would manage in the loo! More of a sculpture than a garment I felt.

I think that Beth is the solid member. Not as flamboyant as the other 2 finalists but everything she does is beautifully executed.

M0nica Thu 10-Sept-26 11:30:22

Calendargirl

Did you mean ‘Beth’ is the clear winner MOnica, not Emma?

Thank you Calendargirl Yes I did mean 'Beth'

Millie22 Wed 09-Sept-26 14:21:08

I loved Beth's outfit last night and her sewing skills are excellent. Can't take to Emma and Anna is beginning to struggle a bit with her ambitious ideas.

The transformation challenge was just plain silly with nothing wearable.

Calendargirl Wed 09-Sept-26 13:47:50

Did you mean ‘Beth’ is the clear winner MOnica, not Emma?

M0nica Wed 09-Sept-26 09:48:51

I liked Anna's dress, but agree that it was spoiled by the visible boning in the skirt. Similarly with Emmas, there was not enough materia in the drape. I liked Heather's dress as it was, but it was very safe, dresses like that have been around for a long time.

Like others, I thought Emma was the clear winner and I will not be surprised if she wins,, simply because she is consistent. Anna has made some really wonderful clothes, creatively she is yards in front of the others, but she lacks consistency in the quality of her sewing.

Visgir1 Wed 09-Sept-26 08:51:30

The right one sadly went home last night but Anna was only saved by her whacky idea, which was very poorly done. If she had pulled it off it would have been amazing but it was terrible.
Overall, Beth is the best she's been consistently good. So looking forward to seeing next week's, it's going to be a close one.

Parsley3 Wed 09-Sept-26 08:21:48

I like Beth as she quietly pushes the boundaries and her take on the LBD deserved to win as it actually worked as an outfit. Anna's dress didn't. The transformation challenge was particularly awful this week as nothing wearable was made. It was a waste of time (and shirts).

Sarnia Wed 09-Sept-26 08:09:42

AskAlice

I've chatted to a number of men and women over the past few years who have taken up sewing for the first time because they have watched Sewing Bee, in the first instance out of curiosity or accidentally.

It may not show perfect techniques (they never have time to finish their seams!) and the clothes made may not be to everyone's taste, but what it has shown in my opinion is that it is a hobby/craft that anyone can have a go at. A second-hand sewing machine, needles, some thread and a bit of fabric costs less than the equipment for a lot of other crafts and you can build up on your equipment and expertise as you go along.

I also know many non-sewers who absolutely love watching it every week just for the entertainment value!

I agree with you. I record Sewing Bee so that my youngest GD who is 11 can watch it with me. It has fostered an interest in sewing in her. Fortunately, the secondary school she started at last week has sewing as an after school club and she has put her name down to join that.
Maybe one day I will be able to watch her on Sewing Bee.

Sarnia Wed 09-Sept-26 08:05:13

I hated Anna's dress. I couldn't see it looking good on anyone. Esme, in particular, will admire someone like Anna who pushes the boundaries, as she did herself as a younger designer.
I much preferred Heather's little black dress and wished she had made the skirt tighter and more seductive looking.
Beth, Anna and Emma in that order for the final.

Grandmabatty Wed 09-Sept-26 07:55:23

I agree Bluebell. I think Beth has quietly improved over the series and is looking like a probable winner.

Calendargirl Wed 09-Sept-26 07:27:44

I thought Anna’s dress was pretty awful, actually. It did the model no favours. Yes, she looked like a dumpy little lampshade.

I had Anna down as a clear winner, but the last couple of weeks her nerves have been in evidence.

Beth always seems so focused and calm, at this rate she will win.

Not keen on Emma, don’t know why.

BlueBelle Wed 09-Sept-26 06:54:50

I really liked Heather and she is an excellent seamstress but her dress was slightly short of the others. Anna was over ambitious and for once I didn’t think too much to hers, oreviously she’s been my favourite, I thought Emma’s dress was lovely and I liked the way she sneaked the colours in together but Beth has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few weeks and I think she ll be the winner.
The right person went but she was a great competitor

Grandmabatty Wed 09-Sept-26 06:26:41

Last night's episode was interesting. Making a leather jacket in 5 hours seems impossible to me! I wasn't impressed with any of the transformations. I did agree with who went home, but it was a close thing.

AskAlice Mon 07-Sept-26 15:46:22

I've chatted to a number of men and women over the past few years who have taken up sewing for the first time because they have watched Sewing Bee, in the first instance out of curiosity or accidentally.

It may not show perfect techniques (they never have time to finish their seams!) and the clothes made may not be to everyone's taste, but what it has shown in my opinion is that it is a hobby/craft that anyone can have a go at. A second-hand sewing machine, needles, some thread and a bit of fabric costs less than the equipment for a lot of other crafts and you can build up on your equipment and expertise as you go along.

I also know many non-sewers who absolutely love watching it every week just for the entertainment value!

M0nica Mon 07-Sept-26 15:05:50

Calendargirl

MawsRosie

I wondered why I had never heard of 'The Dog House' then I discovered it was all about dogs. It is not necessarily obvious

Hmm - I wonder what else it might have been about? Gardening? Sport? Music?

The way words are used nowadays, ‘The Dog House’ could have many questionable meanings, not necessarily about our four legged friends.

But would a GN member admit to watching anything questionable on a thread?

Calendargirl Mon 07-Sept-26 06:48:29

MawsRosie

^I wondered why I had never heard of 'The Dog House' then I discovered it was all about dogs. It is not necessarily obvious^

Hmm - I wonder what else it might have been about? Gardening? Sport? Music?

The way words are used nowadays, ‘The Dog House’ could have many questionable meanings, not necessarily about our four legged friends.