Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Not eating at the table - should I insist?

(32 Posts)
nanafrancis Tue 14-Jun-11 21:55:58

They don't make parents like they used to, do they?

Gally Tue 14-Jun-11 21:38:02

Absolutely agee with everyone - I can't even believe we are having this discussion!

glassortwo Tue 14-Jun-11 21:10:03

Your Daughter is 1 yr old, there should be nothing to discuss.

Sit her in a high chair tucked in to the table and eat with her and let her see this is what is expected from her. If you let her win at 1 I dread to think what other battles you are going to have over her childhood.

Notsogrand Tue 14-Jun-11 21:00:33

I've tried several times to respond constructively but can't get away from the fact that we are discussing a 1 year old being in charge. What's to discuss?

artygran Tue 14-Jun-11 20:42:25

I absolutely agree with Mollie. The family table is where children learn a lot of their good manners and social skills and you can't start too early. It'll be a battle royal until she gets the message, but she'll thank you for it in later life.

mollie Tue 14-Jun-11 20:28:53

Who is mum here? Of course you should insist...and you should do it now. Turn the television off and make it clear that meals are eaten at the table and the television will go back on afterwards.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-Jun-11 18:45:51

(This is another Ask a gran question sent in by readers of the Radio Times.)

My one-year old will only eat if she’s sitting on the sofa, watching TV at the same time. I know it’s a bad habit, but have given in for an easy life. Is this ok, and will I be able to transfer her to normal mealtimes at the table when she’s a bit older?