Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

skipping rhymes

(66 Posts)
specki4eyes Wed 14-Mar-12 19:01:00

I'm going to see my sons and their families this weekend. One of my granddaughters age 7 loves me to teach her the rhymes we used to use in the school playground for skipping and ball games.

Can anyone remember those rhymes chanted when two girls had a big long rope and all the other girls used to stand in line waiting for their turn?

Bags Tue 05-Jun-12 06:45:33

dahlia, I have two sets of very good jacks. I'll find out where I got them from and let you know (can't remember at the mo, but it was mail order....)

Bags Tue 05-Jun-12 06:57:14

Brain overtaxed with trying to remember this morning! If you google "metal jacks game set" or similar, you should find something. Good luck.

glammanana Tue 05-Jun-12 09:54:52

I remember playing "jacks" but could never pick up 10 in one go,I was better with my top and whip and yo-yo us girls also used to play a game called cats cradle using any bits of elastic we could find,I was not marvelous at that and used to end up all knotted.blush

nanaej Tue 05-Jun-12 10:34:05

www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/metal-jacks-game-p-2188.html These were quite good ..got them for DGD!

nelliedeane Wed 06-Jun-12 09:46:11

We used to have little cubes,roughly size of a sugar lump with ridges on in different colours,our game was 5 stones ,which we did often play with as we didn't have any we called them GOBS haven't a clue why...we used to play queenie queenie who's got the ball..piggy in the middle,run outs ,tin can copper,and knock down ginger[ blush] we would also tie a length of cotton on to a letter box hide and keep pulling it to rattle the knocker...the fun was being chased by an angry householder.we also did French skipping which was a length of knicker elastic ,ends tied together looped round two girls ankles as they stood ankles slightly apart and about 3ft away from each other we had rhymes and set moves to do ......I used to make my baby brother stand for ages the other end looped round chair legs while I practised this game.....nellies on a roll now also remember donkey where you threw a ball at the wall and jumped over it as it bounced down......shame Eisha isn't as easily amused as I was can't see her putting a tennis ball in a stocking and whacking it from side to side and up and down to rhymes yet I was 12/13 and quite happy to bang a ball up a wall with a tennis racquet for ages or mum got fed up with the constant banging which ever came first....then I do as mum asked BUGGER OFF UP THE LIBRARY....so I did as I was asked and nuggered off up the library..happy daysgrin

kittylester Wed 06-Jun-12 18:56:53

My son got a packet of SNOBS in a party bag when he was about 5. By the time we got home he had eaten them!! confused

On a slightly related topic - does anyone remember a song that began 'Little brown houses, what do you hold'? It's about the bulbs flowering - I don't think I've made it up!!

dahlia Sun 10-Jun-12 16:35:34

Sorry, Kitty, don't remember that song, but do recall the five stones, which were replaced later with jacks. Thank you for the information, nanaej, I shall order a set for my granddaughter, who always wants to know what games I used to play. Can't believe there was a world without plastic everything (her room just groans with the stuff!) - and so much based on the latest cartoon or television programme, too. My youngest granddaughter's first word was "Peppa"!
I do recall the game of donkey and perhaps some of today's children would enjoy it, as it involved skill and timing and could be done alone, too. We weren't allowed to play these games on a Sunday - no-one would understand that now!

specki4eyes Sun 10-Jun-12 22:16:42

Does anyone know where I can buy one of those letter games called 'fifteens'? Its a small square tray which contains 15 letter tiles and there is one empty tile space. You slide the tiles up/down/sideways using the empty space as a tool. You could also get number ones. Hope my terrible description is understood!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 30-May-17 16:38:02

Can anyone help me out with the second-last line of this skipping rhyme, please?

Oliver Twist can't do this, so what's the use of trying?
Number one, touch your thumb,
Number two, touch your shoe,
Number three, touch your knee,
Number four, touch the floor,
Number five, take a dive!
Number six ...
Number seven, go to heaven!

Two girls were enders, swinging the rope, and the girl skipping did the appropriate action. Number four was difficult, as you often got caught by the rope there. If you got through all seven lines, you took the place of the one ender.
I learnt it at a small private school called Broomlea in Giffnock in the Glasgow area, when I was about 10, so 1961

varian Wed 31-May-17 03:27:11

Number six pick up sticks .

Although I am older than you and did not go to Broomlea, I did live in the south side of Glasgow, so it may have been local to there

grannypiper Wed 31-May-17 09:06:11

I cant remember the whole song but i remember the first few lines of My Maws a millionaire
wid ye believe it
blue eyes n curly hair
walkin doon the High Street ...................

annsixty Wed 31-May-17 09:14:29

My mother , who would have been very old now, taught me

My mother said
I never should
Play with the gipsies
In the wood

If I did
She would say
Naughty little girl
To disobey

I had forgotten that until I came upon this old thread.
It is strange how long forgotten memories can be jolted into life.

JackyB Wed 31-May-17 11:30:47

I must have had a sheltered upbringing - the only rhyme mentioned here that I knew was the Teddy Bear one.

However, we did more "French skipping" than skipping, which, rather boringly, didn't have rhymes to go with it. I can still remember some of the routines, although they probably varied from playground to playground.

When I came to Germany in the 70s, I joined an American Girl Scouts troop (as an assistant leader). The rhymes and clapping games that those 10-year-old girls could repeat at great speed left me breathless!

Daisyanswerdo Wed 31-May-17 23:15:21

Mother may I go down to swim?
Yes my darling daughter.
Hang your clothes on a hickory bush
But don't go near the water.

Baglet1 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:31:43

Rooms to rent
Apply within
If you don't pay your rent
Mrs (name of next girl) will come in.