Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to be called now i'm a Grandma?

(62 Posts)
pammygran Fri 18-May-12 11:58:57

3 day old gorgeous grandaughter..my daughter wants to know what I whant to be called..not keen on Granny..my mum was Goer, probably because my son always saw her whizzing about in her mini!

NanaandGrampy Wed 09-Jul-14 09:23:25

All my grandchildren call me Nana and my husband Grampy - although the eldest granddaughter , now aged 7 couldn't say Grampy when she was little so always called him Pay ! Now , if you say to her , 'Can you say Grampy?' she will always reply' Yes I can , but he'll always be my Pay '!

All the grandmothers , for the children are called a variation of Nana, one is Nanny ( and the children easily differentiate) and one Nanny B ( for her surname).

Congratulations on your new arrival :-)

embralady Fri 20-Jul-12 09:24:25

When my first two grandsons were born in the US I decided that they would call me by my first name as my son has always called me that since he was around 3 years old. However, it was too difficult for little tongues to get around, so I am Je-Je to them. At 8 and 5 they still call me that. My other UK grandson started trying to call me Grandma (Granny and Grandpa were taken by his other grandparents), but that came out as Amah, which is what he still calls me. I like it! A rose by any other name......wink

mollie65 Thu 19-Jul-12 21:49:28

I am Grandma - my choice but helped by the fact that the other Grandma wanted to be a nanna (which I hate as it is not me at all)
when Grandson was learning to talk I was Mars but he soon got the hang of Grandma and uses it frequently accompanied by a request for me to do something or (bless him) by the words I love you

mkgranny Wed 18-Jul-12 22:22:55

My first GC called me 'Lady'. Turned out that she considered my husband (six foot, bearded) far more important and therefore obviously the 'Granny' she was taken to see. she was just following a trend set by my niece, who just walked straight past me when asked to take something to 'Auntie A' and gave it to my OH. I agree with others though - the hugs are the important thing.

BurgundyGran Wed 18-Jul-12 21:26:59

I am Nana or Mamie (French for grandma). Sometimes Nan but as long as they speak to me I am happy.

It isn't what they call you it is the spending time with them, the hugs, kisses and smiles that are important. smile

Mamardoit Mon 16-Jul-12 09:09:04

We always used grandma in our family followed by first name or in the case of great grandmas first name or where we went to visit them. So Leicester grandma was the one we saw twice a year when we went to visit.
We rarely saw grandmas together until the DC were older so it worked for us.

I don't like nanny because that to me = a goat/paid chilcare.

GD other grandma wanted me to be called nanny or nana so that she would be the only grandma.........That was never going to happen!

GD still calls me Mamar and thats fine because it's her word for both grandmas.

Sook Sun 15-Jul-12 22:27:48

I am Nan or Nanna I refuse to be called Grandma and especially Granny as mine was wizened, wore Norah Batty lisle stockings, wrap around pinnys and zip up suede boots in all weathers.

goldengirl Fri 13-Jul-12 17:56:58

Grandma and Grandad for the 2 older ones, the next one down calls me Grammar [!!!???] and the littlest one just stares smile

Nonu Fri 13-Jul-12 17:46:37

Grandma and Grandad , for two of them , but for the other two , Grandma and Grandpa as my DIL"s dad wanted to be "Granddad " yeah I know !!! but to be honest whatever they call us is okay [large smile]

specki4eyes Thu 12-Jul-12 21:32:57

I asked them to call me Granny - I love that. My DS1 sometimes refers to me to his children as Grandma - makes my blood boil for some reason, funny that because I had two Grandmas. P'raps thats it - they were very very old and I'm a mere strip of a thing.grin

granmouse Thu 12-Jul-12 21:23:51

My own dc used Grandma first name for both and I called my maternal grandmother Mother which was a tradition in the family.I didnt want to follow it myself though.

granmouse Thu 12-Jul-12 21:21:55

My username is what my step grandchildren call me [I love it] and my blood gc call me grandma which is special too.

AlieOxon Thu 12-Jul-12 19:27:24

Interesting that my grandmothers were 'Gran Little' and 'Gran Jackson' - no first names then!
Don't think we ever saw them at the same time so 'Gran' was fine....

Nelliemoser Thu 12-Jul-12 18:23:58

I am looking to decide that in September when #1 arrives. I think my "co-in law" the other gran will probably be Grandma as she is to SILs neice and nephew. I will probably settle for Nan or Nana. My kids grand Mothers were differentiated as "Nanny Ivy" and "Nanny Edna."

Penarthgran Thu 12-Jul-12 18:14:25

Congratulations. I'm Grandma and happy to be so.

AlieOxon Thu 12-Jul-12 18:07:38

I'm Grandma because my mum was Nan.

purplehairstreak Thu 12-Jul-12 17:25:09

I wanted Nana until my French DIL told me it was the brand name of a sanitary towel in France.........so Nanny I have become, and I love hearing my granddaughter say it.

Greatnan Fri 01-Jun-12 16:31:28

Pennysue - you beat me by two years - I was 65 when I became a great grandmother. I wonder who is our youngest great gm? And our youngest grandmother?
For some reason, my great gd's call me Nanny-noo.
I never had any grandparents - my mother was 42 when I was born and people were not so long-lived. I really used to envy girls at school who were always going to their nan's house.
My daughter's MIL is NannyVal and I am now just Nan as they are mostly adults now.

jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 10:38:09

Geegee!

goose1964 Fri 01-Jun-12 10:29:05

I worried about this & am now a happy Granny

Pennysue Thu 24-May-12 18:04:44

To my Grandchildren I am Nana, which I love, as my Nana loved me. My Grandmother was a ..................!

Now I am a GGM (I am only 63) not sure what I want to be called (just my given name would do ) but I am definitely not going to be Great Grandmother.

baNANA Thu 24-May-12 17:46:14

I'm nana because that's what I called my grandmas. The other one's nanny, but my husband calls her Granny Gutbucket because she never stops interfering. We were away for a week with our son, having recently separated, and granddaughter who's two, and she, the other grandmother, insisted on ringing up and speaking to grandchild daily. Sometimes she was asleep, or doing something interesting or simply didn't want to be dragged to the phone. We wouldn't do the same when she stays with them, which is about on average 10 days a month. My son was quite happy for our granddaughter to speak to her mother whenever she rang, but was quite fed up with his ex partner's mother ringing up daily. She even left messages to the effect "I know I'm being a nuisance, but I have to speak to her every day".

pammygran Thu 24-May-12 15:28:19

Many thanks for good wishes...saw little one on Tuesday, she is gorgeous! How one forgets, they are so weeny at a week old, really lovely to see her but nice to hand her back...iv'e done all that!

Mobell Mon 21-May-12 22:18:31

I'm Granny (what we always called ours when I was wee) and DG's other is Grandma, he tells his parents off if they mix us up,he knows the difference and he doesn't see us very often except on Skype, both grandads are Grandad

POGS Mon 21-May-12 21:59:38

Pammygran. Who cares what we all think, it's upto you. I am however nanny, my G.D's other is gran. Then there is grandma and great gran for the great grandmothers. I think you will find out soon what you feel comfortable with but don't be a snob about it. Just enjoy the love and cuddles, that's your job and I just know what you are called will be of no consequence.

Have fun.