Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Nominate for a special Gransnet Award

(113 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 17-Jul-12 15:47:53

We're delighted to be supporting the Roses, a series of awards for portrayal of older people's issues in the media. I'm going to be chairing the judges (you can find out about more about the awards here) and we're thrilled that there's going to be a special award, nominated and voted for by gransnetters, for the best older person's character in film and television drama.

So add your thoughts here. And you can nominate in other categories too - details here.

Maniac Tue 02-Apr-13 16:09:15

Mary Beard was mentioned on this thread.
She has been voted 'Oldie Pin-up of the Year' !!
Very amusing caricature of her on the cover of April edition of 'The Oldie'

Grannyeggs Mon 01-Oct-12 16:41:11

Done it. How many of us have seen Michael Caine in Dark Knight? Was surprised by that.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 01-Oct-12 16:36:18

Gally Sorry, that was a bit hopeless of me.

www.gransnet.com/forums/ask_a_gran/1193986-Vote-for-the-special-Gransnet-Award-in-The-Roses

Gally Mon 01-Oct-12 15:53:22

Geraldine can you make the link blue so we can click on it please smile

Ana Mon 01-Oct-12 15:11:02

You're just trying to confuse us now, aren't you Geraldine? hmm
We'll all be trying to vote twice.....grin

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 01-Oct-12 14:34:45

GNHQ have now reviewed all the brilliant suggestions and drawn up a shortlist.

it's time to vote. You can see the five finalists here and choose your favourite:

http://www.gransnet.com/forums/ask_a_gran/1193986-Vote-for-the-special-Gransnet-Award-in-The-Roses

The Awards will be announced in November.

JackiePS Sun 12-Aug-12 08:39:20

Judi Dench in Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Cranford

Pamaga Mon 30-Jul-12 13:05:37

June Whitfield for a any number of roles but love her in Ab Fab

glitabo Sat 28-Jul-12 17:03:59

A bit of whimsy!
William Shatner in Boston Legal. Naughty but nice.
wink

Fid Sat 28-Jul-12 16:41:13

I have to agree, Mr Tom, played by the late and much-missed John Thaw was a lovely man.
What about Abel Magwitch as portrayed by Ray Winston and the all-knowing, and fatherly Gaius, (Richard Wison), in Merlin?

petallus Fri 27-Jul-12 08:25:36

Edward Woodward was excellent as an fiesty elderly old murderer in Murder in Suburbia the other evening.

Steptoe was good.

I don't like my elderly characters to be too worthy.

Gmajen Thu 26-Jul-12 21:59:06

Crumbs - If this was an A level question, loads of us would have failed for not reading it correctly. Its the character we are nominating, not the actor who played them. My nomination is the character played by Judy Dench in the Exotic Marigold Hotel (Alas, I cannot remember her name)!

moleswife Thu 26-Jul-12 15:57:00

Kenneth Branagh has to be my nomination for his role in Wallender, but thank goodness the series has finished I'm not sure I'm up to it any more!

NanaAnna Thu 26-Jul-12 13:38:05

How about Mrs Brown, Agnes Brown, from Mrs Brown's Boys? It's a character, there was a Christmas special, so it's within the time frame guide lines, BAFTA award winner and a bit of a change from the stereotypical images of older people? wink

grannyJillyT Thu 26-Jul-12 13:21:38

I would like to nominate Stephanie Cole, from Tenko to Doc Martin and Coronation Street, she is funny, sad and versatile! smile

janeainsworth Thu 26-Jul-12 13:10:19

Meryl Streep's portrayal of Baroness Thatcher in the Iron Lady.

JO4 Thu 26-Jul-12 11:50:38

Cora Cross on Eastenders has shaped up to be a really good character. Played by Ann Mitchell.

Harrikat Thu 26-Jul-12 11:18:27

Miriam Margolyes, fantastic actor, not afraid to be herself off stage.

Jackinthebox Tue 24-Jul-12 08:34:26

sorry didnt read the script, should be someone fictional !!!!!

Jackinthebox Tue 24-Jul-12 08:28:22

Joan Bakewell, she speaks up for the older person

nanaej Mon 23-Jul-12 18:33:48

If we are voting for a character I would not vote for Dowager Duchess of Downton..she was not a very nice person even though Maggi Smith portrayed her brilliantly! Would rather vote for a character more representative of the grandparents I know/have known and admire! Quite like the grandad in Outnumbered.

annemac101 Mon 23-Jul-12 17:58:15

I agree with Jana ,Maggie Smiths Character in Dowton Abbey.

glassortwo Sun 22-Jul-12 10:13:53

Well it got to be Dame Judi Dench - Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

granmalala Sat 21-Jul-12 18:51:56

Dame Judi Dench - Best Exotic Marigold Hotel AND all the other films, plays etc that she's been in - She's FAB!!!

AlisonMA Sat 21-Jul-12 17:28:26

I really must watch Downton Abbey, you all seem to like it very much.