Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Birthday present for 5 year old

(20 Posts)
GoldenGran Wed 08-Aug-12 22:20:11

Lego and playmobil are loved by my Grandson anything to do with dinosaurs are also a great hit.

specki4eyes Wed 08-Aug-12 22:16:19

I bought my 5 year old grandson a waterproof watch through Amazon. He loves it.

Bellesnan Wed 08-Aug-12 22:15:03

Thank you Grans - have given me food for thought and will be on the Amazon site tomorrow. Had not realised that Lego was still a favourite after all these years. Don't often come onto Gransnet much these days but knew you would come up trumps!

Annobel Wed 08-Aug-12 21:16:24

Both my GDs have enjoyed Lego. The nine-year-old is especially creative and makes much more use of it than her younger brother. Argos have a girls' set in a pink box, but I am fairly sure the contents are much the same as they are in the boys' blue box. I'm sure she'd also enjoy Playmobil.

tinfar Wed 08-Aug-12 20:58:06

hope you find something bellesnan i also think lego always goes down well do girls enjoy lego as I am also looking for my 5 year old grandaughter i have looked on amazon and see they are doing some girls sets has anyone bought these for their grandaughters

nanaej Wed 08-Aug-12 20:49:51

Shysal think there are new Star wars (or re-released) models for a new generation!

Annobel Wed 08-Aug-12 20:49:47

Great minds, eGJ!

Annobel Wed 08-Aug-12 20:48:26

Playmobil sets are also very popular with this age group. They come in a variety of sizes and prices. Pirates is a popular theme. Amazon will have a good selection and you can have it sent straight to him gift wrapped and with a message from you.

eGJ Wed 08-Aug-12 20:47:36

Just bought Playmobil items for GS who is 5 next week. Ordered Playmobil 4039 Heavy Duty Excavator from Amazon plus Playmobil 4265 Jewel Thieves which together should provide hours of imaginative play.
smile

shysal Wed 08-Aug-12 20:03:58

At 5 years old they like their Lego sets to include some figures, which they often collect. I think you will need to find out which is the latest theme, my GSs would turn up their noses at Star Wars, for instance, which came out several years ago.
What a shame you will not have the pleasure of seeing your GS open his present and help him play with it. I feel for you! sad

Mishap Wed 08-Aug-12 19:58:40

Make sure the lego is appropriate to his age - my GS gets in a rage when he can't make it stay together - or when he makes a complicated spaceship which falls apart as he is putting the last bit in!

Balance bikes with no pedals are all the rage too - looks like a bike but has no pedals - a bit like a scooter with a saddle. They zoom along on these with legs flying out to the sides!

glammanana Wed 08-Aug-12 19:46:00

I also suggest going down the lego route my youngest DGS was 9 last week and he wanted the space lego which we bought him and he has used some of the other lego which he has had for years in his own version of the space city so you can't really go wrong with it.

Annobel Wed 08-Aug-12 19:31:12

Any Lego would be welcome, I feel sure. All of mine love creating buildings. The good thing about the themed packs is that the bricks can be reused with all the other bricks for all sorts of things. I've bought a mixed pack (from Argos) for GS who will be 7 on Friday because he likes to make his own designs.

granjura Wed 08-Aug-12 19:20:45

As I live abroad, I use www.thepresentfinder.co.uk

Recently bought a camouflage tent for 6 year old grandson, and a double water slide for 3 year old grand-daughter. Both a great success apparently.

Bellesnan Wed 08-Aug-12 19:03:23

Had thought of Lego nanaej - his Dad loved it and I have masses in the loft but thanks for info on the latest 'wannahave'. Will look on Amazon.

Bez Wed 08-Aug-12 19:00:47

If unsure you could always send an Amazon gift voucher if you know someone's email address. I find that useful for the USA branch of the family - can have it sent in $ as well by going on the .com site

nanaej Wed 08-Aug-12 18:57:21

Either Star Wars Lego or Pirates of the Caribbean Lego would be my suggestion! seems to be all the rage!

Bellesnan Wed 08-Aug-12 18:53:55

Hi Jess. I haven't seen him since his 3rd birthday and have no idea what he likes/dislikes. My son (37 tomorrow) doesn't talk to us so can't ask for advice which is why I thought some Grans of 5 year old boys might be able to help. Thanks for your idea though - it was kind of you to respond.

JessM Wed 08-Aug-12 18:42:26

Does he like Playmobil or something like that? I find that if there is something along those lines that they have some of already, they always welcome an addition to their collection. So - What does he like doing/playing with, is the question?

Bellesnan Wed 08-Aug-12 18:04:25

Some help please. My grandson is 5 towards the end of this month and wondered if there were any grans out there with expertise in choosing a present for that age. As previously stated under another heading, notably about not being able to see grandchildren, it has to be something that I can buy via Amazon, say, so that it can be posted directly to him. I sent his sister a 'credit' card for Claires on her 8th birthday a week ago but would like something more original for him. Any ideas Grans?