Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Parents being used for constant childcare by sister

(58 Posts)
SallyAnn Mon 20-Aug-12 10:48:10

Background: Parents are pensioners - nearing 70. I am the eldest of three daughters. Sister in question is the youngest, late 20's. Myself and middle sister live about 1 hour away, youngest sister lives 5 minutes up the road. We all have children. Children of youngest sister: 2 and 5.

Problem: Sister is constantly around parent's house with said children. Parents are being used as childcare day in, day out. She will turn up in the morning - and stay put till her hubby gets back from work. She will go upstairs and sit on computer, checking facebook, mumsnet etc. Kids are left roaming around downtairs usually - mum and dad left watching them, dealing with food requests and general children wants and needs. If parents need to go out - sister and children will accompany them.

Mum has confided to me that she is very tired and having the children there almost constantly is becoming very draining. They start screaming and being loud as kids will and mum says that she finds herself starting to shake and becoming anxious. I will ring her up to see how she is early evening and I can hear them all romping and screaming in the background. I will say, 'it sounds busy, where is 'J'' - mum replies, 'she is sitting on the computer'. It is making my mum ill and she will not say anything to her. My dad is not in the best of health either.

We will go round to see them at weekends, and sister will even turn up then, depending on what her hubby is doing. I rarely get to see my parents on their own. This sounds petty I know but I would like to see them without having to see her and her offspring!

Mum says I mustn't say anything to her - I am not sure. I feel that if I start to say something I will not stop, there will be a huge fight. I feel she is being selfish.

So Gransnet - what should I do? Put up and shut up knowing my mum is becoming ill? Or start World War 3 by suggesting that she could perhaps look after her own children and stop abusing mum and dad's good nature. Am I just jealous because she has free childcare when I haven't? Sorry so long. Ask questions if you think I have left anything out. Thank-you.

Callistemon21 Thu 03-Aug-23 09:47:04

eddiecat78

Other forums I belong to show an alert if you try to post on threads that have been "dead" for a while

Yes, GN does that too, eddiecat, there is an alert in the message box, but often it's a spammer who posts and re-opens the thread, as in this case.

eddiecat78 Thu 03-Aug-23 09:16:35

Other forums I belong to show an alert if you try to post on threads that have been "dead" for a while

Georgesgran Thu 03-Aug-23 08:45:06

These children are probably looking after the grandparents now!!! IT’S AN OLD THREAD!

Serendipity22 Thu 03-Aug-23 08:43:17

Ohhh heck ! I read your post and thought why is your sister there so much? why has she no friends.... obviously Im not meaning you know the answers but it seems a strange 1. From your point of view you know the affect this is all having on your mum and dad but it seems your sister is only doing what she sees as normal - going to see my mum and dad, what am I doing wrong? How can the words "Do you mind not going round as much" not hurt or upset your sister?

I think to defuse this negativity the computer be brought downstairs so mum is amongst IT all going on, also instead of your mum or dad being the 1's to carry out the request from the GC I think your mum should start and say " can you ask mummy to get you -" ...maybe the situation has developed into what it is now because your mum has allowed it to happen.. nooooooooo fault of your mums whatsoever I just mean its progressed into the present situation.

Cabbie21 Thu 03-Aug-23 08:23:47

I wish Gransnet could close very old posts, to prevent further posts. Maybe a section where they can still be read?

Aldom Thu 03-Aug-23 08:14:13

HappyZebra I'm afraid your thoughtful post will not have been read by the OP, because she posted in

HappyZebra Thu 03-Aug-23 07:48:53

If you genuinely want to see your mum without your sister, have you tried expressing this to your mum? If you were to say something like, "Mum, I'd really love to spend a little time with you as I miss seeing you on my own (or just as my family). It feels different when I come over and my sister is there. I don't feel like I (or myself and the kids) can connect with you in the same way as we do on our own and I would really appreciate some special time just for us. Is this something you would like to do too? Can we plan a time in the next week where it's just us? "

You may find that you get some alone time with her. Acting as a confidant means you aren't expressing your feelings, you're just listening or trying to problem solve.

I think expressing your feelings and understanding what your wants and needs are (not your mums) and trying to get them fulfilled is going to put you in a better place than trying to take on your mums problems for her.

In all likelihood if you phrase a question like the one above, the chances are she will want to try to free up some time to see just you (or your family) and that in turn may start the process of her seeing it's okay to be busy or unavailable if your sister comes calling. So it may end up being a bit of a win win.

Callistemon21 Wed 02-Aug-23 22:16:12

I've been caught before now 🙂

Wyllow3 Wed 02-Aug-23 21:38:39

Callistemon21 I just missed your post - 2 minute gap while I was writing!

I wonder indeed re outcomes.

I'll be on my guard now date checking!

Delila Wed 02-Aug-23 21:32:52

Good for them 👋

Callistemon21 Wed 02-Aug-23 19:43:30

Delila

Haha, I wonder how it all worked out in the end…

They left home!

Not the grandchildren, the grandparents.
Last heard of they were sunning themselves on a world cruise 😀

Callistemon21 Wed 02-Aug-23 19:41:43

Luckygirl3

It really is very old indeed - I appear there with an old username!!!

wink

First thing I noticed, then I went back and checked the date!!

lyleLyle Wed 02-Aug-23 18:18:05

I’ve fallen victim to the zombie thread as well shock

silverlining48 Wed 02-Aug-23 18:00:47

This thread is 11 years old…..

Sara1954 Wed 02-Aug-23 17:58:56

Oh, just noticed!
I had never heard of gransnet then, wonder what happened?

Luckygirl3 Wed 02-Aug-23 17:53:52

It really is very old indeed - I appear there with an old username!!!

Callistemon21 Wed 02-Aug-23 17:45:50

🍿🍷

Hithere Wed 02-Aug-23 17:08:08

Lol, zombie is eating popcorn too

Sara1954 Wed 02-Aug-23 17:00:25

I’ve been in a similar situation, but my youngest came back home with three children!
I may have had the odd moan to the other children over the years, but I would have been fuming if they had had a go at her on my behalf.
Your parents are not old, but your mum does sound pretty stressed, even so, as much as she moans, if she can’t cope, she’s the one who needs to say something, not you, not your siblings.
Lastly, regarding your sister, it doesn’t sound a very normal situation, I don’t get why she wants to be there all the time, something doesn’t seem right there.

Delila Wed 02-Aug-23 16:58:49

Haha, I wonder how it all worked out in the end…

Aldom Wed 02-Aug-23 16:21:29

They're not listening Callistermon. grin

Blondiescot Wed 02-Aug-23 16:11:27

Even the shouting hasn't worked...

lyleLyle Wed 02-Aug-23 16:04:01

Encourage your parents to sort it. They need to pull back but it would be better coming from them.

Callistemon21 Wed 02-Aug-23 15:57:10

Grandmabatty

Zombie!!!

😂

I'll shout louder, Grandmabatty!

IT'S AN OLD THREAD!

The children must be 15 and 18 now.

Debbi58 Wed 02-Aug-23 15:53:24

I can empathise with you , I have twin daughters, just turned 30. One still lives at home, she's a teacher, my other daughter left home at 17, with a new born baby and her then boyfriend. We had daily phone calls asking for help, I was there more than at home . My daughter then had another child at 19. She then split with her boyfriend, again lent on us heavily. My childless daughter thought I was doing too much and could see how tired I was when I got home . She spoke to her sister about it and it caused a row, I struggled to say no to her because I could see she was struggling and I was the only person that helped her . Eventually as the children got older, I have taken a step back myself . I wouldn't say anything to my sister if I were you , it's frustrating, but it does need to come from your parents.