Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do I unstick a sticker?

(31 Posts)
flowerfriend Thu 13-Sep-12 20:20:08

Just bought a new kettle. It's quite elegant looking apart from the fact that there was a sticker on it when I unpacked it (advertising other products in the range) and the little blighter won't come off. Suggestions please grandads.

Thistledoo Thu 27-Jun-13 18:55:12

Try butter, I find it usually works. Full fat dairy butter, the hard stuff. Massage into the gooie sticky bits, might take a few minutes but I always have success. Good luck.

j08 Thu 27-Jun-13 18:56:46

You probably need something like white spirit. Whatever that is.

j08 Thu 27-Jun-13 18:57:32

Oh yes! Nelliemoser has already suggersted that. (I didn't like to mention meths)

Grandmanorm Thu 27-Jun-13 20:39:37

I use furniture polish to remove sticky labels. I was told that in Germany and I have found it works.

MOGGSY77 Sat 06-Jul-13 07:34:02

Some years ago I bought a prancing Beswick horse from a charity shop that had suffered multiple fractures to two legs and the " repair " had been carried out by a short sighted orangutang. I bought a tiny tube of" glue dissolve " from a local chandlers, oops, giving my age away, hardware retailers. It worked very well but not likely to be nearly enough to dissolve an area the size of a wing mirror. What might be worth trying is to go along to a decent hardware store armed with a magnifying glass, yes the tubes are that small, to see what the main ingredients are. If isotropic alcohol looms large, for example, lots of poundland type stores sell that in things like dvd cleaners, lens cleaner etc. Beware large bottles in these kits however, most unlikely to be the usually quite expensive isotropic alcohol.
A slightly more expensive alternative is to trade in said car and swear blind the mirror is in exactly the right place and go for a few pounds more for the " brilliant extras "
Hope the first suggestion helps but accept no responsibility for divorce lawyers cost for part two.
Cheers
Peter