Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Idioms and sayings

(160 Posts)
yogagran Wed 21-Nov-12 20:40:17

Talking to my DGD this afternoon I mentioned that "there was just enough blue in the sky to patch a sailors trousers". She looked at me as though I was completely mad and I had to explain the expression. This set me thinking that a lot of these sayings are going out of fashion and may be lost forever within our lifetime. What other sayings and phrases do you use, or remember your parents using?

Anne58 Thu 22-Nov-12 13:49:27

All fur coat and no knickers!

Yummygran Thu 22-Nov-12 13:53:33

When I used to ask my Nana what was for tea she would say 'sop m'lad'... and I was a girl grin....I never did know what 'sop' was.

Anne58 Thu 22-Nov-12 14:00:59

All fur coat and no knickers.

celebgran Thu 22-Nov-12 14:06:03

interesting yummygran my Mum used to say when asked what ws for tea, bread and pull it!! never quite got my head round that!!

Anne58 Thu 22-Nov-12 14:14:59

Sorry, not quite sure what went wrong there!

bookdreamer Thu 22-Nov-12 14:32:24

My dad, when asked what was coming on tv: "Boris Karloff and Shirley temple in "Playmates"

Daisyanswerdo Thu 22-Nov-12 18:05:41

Before I knew better, and asked my older relatives 'How old are you?' they would reply 'As old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth'.

I think 'bread and pull it' is supposed to sound like 'bread and pullet', i.e. chicken.

Then there was the excuse for inactivity: 'I've got a bone in my leg'.

absentgrana Thu 22-Nov-12 18:08:21

When my father had an afternoon nap on a Sunday, he described it as doing Persian PT. hmm

isthisallthereis Thu 22-Nov-12 18:26:41

Am loving these! smile

My very unforgiving very Mancunian mother-in-law if you were getting too pushy would slap you down saying "You can't have y'cake and y'ha'porth". Being "pushy" was very undesirable in her book.

Also if someting was near she'd say it was "no'but a cock'stride" which always seemed pretty eloquent.

isthisallthereis Thu 22-Nov-12 18:37:54

Mithering and mardy were two importantly different but equally undesirable description used by my Manchester mother-in-law.

If she was taken aback by something she'd say "Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!" But she made it clear she knew that getting a bit close to a Coronation Street cliché.

When I worked in Liverpool there were many great sayings. One was "She loves the bones of him." What a great use of English that is.

Another, which I still use, please excuse the vulgarity, is "He's pissed on his chips" meaning he's spoiled his chances.

And a Londoner I met once described a tinpot braggart as "very Billy-Big-Potaters" which I thought was great.

matson Thu 22-Nov-12 19:27:19

when my old mum used to be frusrated with me , she used to sat " your as much use as a chocolate fireguard". oh to hear her say those words again x

matson Thu 22-Nov-12 19:28:16

sorry whoops sat should be say!

AlieOxon Thu 22-Nov-12 19:41:21

Someone said that to me yesterday - about Tony Blair...

isthisallthereis Thu 22-Nov-12 19:42:32

Or "as much use as a chocolate teapot"!

matson Thu 22-Nov-12 19:45:37

alie they may have been making a valid point there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

janeainsworth Thu 22-Nov-12 19:48:03

isthis As a child I was frequently told not to be so mard, on occasions such as having gravel removed with dettol after grazing my knee.
Dad also used 'nobut a cockstride' and greeted people with 'how do' rather than 'hello'

isthisallthereis Thu 22-Nov-12 19:54:30

"How do?" Yes it's a long time since I've heard that! Is it a Yorkshire form of greeting? I don't think I've heard it much in (South) Manchester and it's certainly totally non-Liverpool. In my experience.

Nelliemoser Thu 22-Nov-12 20:01:25

There was a female BBC Local news person. (?Pat someone). Who once made the remark that someones political fortune or reputaton, had been..
"up and down more times than a brides nightie!"

This really upset some of the more staid BBC listeners by being considered very coarse.

jeni Thu 22-Nov-12 20:26:30

Having a catnap ' inspecting the inside of my eyelids'

Anne58 Thu 22-Nov-12 20:31:21

In and out like a fiddlers elbow.

Up and dwen like a whores drawers.

bookdreamer Thu 22-Nov-12 20:48:05

If you got too big for your boots "he/she has a ha'penny on themselves"

Smoluski Thu 22-Nov-12 20:55:21

Picking your nose...he pulling the lining out of his hat.grin

Ana Thu 22-Nov-12 20:57:35

Yuk! nellie...grin

yogagran Thu 22-Nov-12 21:05:53

Nellie grin

janeainsworth Thu 22-Nov-12 21:08:38

isthis my dad's family were from Stockport.
nelliem I always thought 'off like a bride's nightie' was Australian, but then I suppose it could have originated in England!