Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Idioms and sayings

(160 Posts)
yogagran Wed 21-Nov-12 20:40:17

Talking to my DGD this afternoon I mentioned that "there was just enough blue in the sky to patch a sailors trousers". She looked at me as though I was completely mad and I had to explain the expression. This set me thinking that a lot of these sayings are going out of fashion and may be lost forever within our lifetime. What other sayings and phrases do you use, or remember your parents using?

Flowerofthewest Thu 21-Nov-13 11:04:11

Oooer Bella thought they were 'peanuts' shock

My dad used the 'chapel hat peg' expression, not for nipples though.Eyes yes. He was from the Fens, is it an East Anglian expression.

Have I mentions eons ago Piffy up a Stick! Pardon if I have

Flowerofthewest Thu 21-Nov-13 11:06:33

When I asked what was for dinner/supper/tea, 'Bread and pull it round the table' was the reply

celebgran Thu 21-Nov-13 11:46:54

My mumused to say that bread and pull it! Never really understood it, but guess that was what she meant pull round table!

Bach Thu 21-Nov-13 19:16:18

My Gran used to say "He's a bigger liar than Tom Pepper" Aparantly (?) Tom Pepper was such a liar that the devil kicked him out of hell.

When my Grandad went for his afternoon nap he said he was "having a hour with the King"

Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Nov-13 20:45:48

So many of these ring bells!

One of my mother's sayings, very useful for times when you'd rather be doing something - anything - else is "I haven't had so much fun since the last time I cleaned the oven".

Elegran Thu 21-Nov-13 20:51:25

Well, a pullet is a smallish chicken, so "pull it" is a play on words.

Flowerofthewest Thu 21-Nov-13 21:09:17

How about - 'It grow'd like Topsy' From Uncle Tom's Cabin, Topsy was asked about her parents etc she replied 'Spect I grow'd, don't think nobody ever made me'

absent Fri 22-Nov-13 05:02:23

It's no good growing old unless you grow cunning. (One for all of us, perhaps?)

Nelliemoser Fri 22-Nov-13 18:41:19

Eyes popping out like "chapel hat pegs" indicating surprise or shock. I picked that up from Leicestershire.