Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do we judge people by their class

(231 Posts)
cheelu Sun 06-Jan-13 23:25:07

Are we open minded and accepting of people of all kinds or are we more likely to make friends with people of our own class. I have found that it is only in the UK that we have this snobbery, what do you think....and I know I am treading on thin ice.......

Elegran Wed 09-Jan-13 22:00:28

Exactly, nanaej, assuming that state schools only produce ignorant louts is snobbery and ignorance.

nanaej Wed 09-Jan-13 22:05:32

Indeed Elegran.. as only about 7%-10% of kids are in private schools that is a huge number at state schools.

Joan Wed 09-Jan-13 22:14:33

In the end, I think it is the parents and the upbringing that helps the children in their future, regardless of income.

We never had much money even though we always worked, but we had enough to do the best we could for our 2 sons. Our local state school was appalling, so we applied to the local catholic primary school, being open about the fact we were not catholic. The fees were low, the school was small, and the ethos seemed excellent. They went on to the catholic co-ed high school:-

www.spcc.qld.edu.au/services.php?id=59&category=about

It all worked, the lads did well, and got their uni degrees etc. One teaches now at the same high school.

BUT, I think the fact we were not well off helped rather than hindered. They learned that they could not have everything they wanted - someone had to work hard to get things. They had to do their share of housework - all 4 or us shared it - because both of us parents worked. They saw how hard it was for their Dad in his working life,without any academic qualifications at the time (we both went to university later, when they were grown up). I suppose we had a 'middle class' (for want of a better term) attitude, without the financial comfort to go with it. We analysed things , discussed the news, discussed the world, as we sat around the meal table. We expected respect from them, and good manners. (THAT was an uphill struggle sometimes) They knew that although their choice of subjects was theirs, going to university was a given.

So - perhaps 'class' is just an attitude.

Sel Wed 09-Jan-13 23:50:01

Joan I do agree with everything you've said - at the risk of upsetting any anti private school posters, the one thing that I think private schools often have over the State sector is rabid parental monitoring. And no, I'm not saying that parents of children in the State sector don't care but I think paying for an education focuses the parental mind wonderfully on 'return on investment. The child too, is surrounded by mostly aspirational friends. I'm sure in the major Public schools it's also about contacts in later life.

Many people on here were lucky enough to go to good Grammar schools, myself included. I wanted no less for my children and they have all done well but never would they consider themselves above anyone else or superior in any way, rather that they were very lucky to have the opportunities they did. Had there been a good State school available, I would have saved a great deal of money. It does amuse me, very close to where I live, there is a very good primary and a boys prep school - it's the primary that clogs up the road with new reg 4x4s.

Joan Thu 10-Jan-13 01:58:55

It was an easier choice for lefties like us, here in Australia, sending them to a catholic school, because catholic schools are very mainstream, and only some are expensive. But yes, it shows that you have given some thought and money to their education, as have the parents of the other kids at the school.

I too would have loved a good grammar school like the one I went to at Heckmondwike, but grammar schools are ultra expensive fee-paying places here. Too elitist and expensive for my taste.

As for the expensive cars - they are round most schools here, as cars and other status symbols seem to matter to many folks, but we were lucky in that our lads could walk to school - about 10 minutes.