Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why does this happen?

(42 Posts)
wisewoman Sun 20-Jan-13 14:35:06

I put this on another thread where it really didn't belong and no none responded to it (irrelevant to the thread). Does anyone else wonder why we say "wee man" when talking about boys but never "wee woman" when talking about girls? Just wondered as around my part of Scotland people talk about "the wee man" all the time. confused

annodomini Sun 20-Jan-13 16:27:58

My middle-aged sons are still 'the boys'. Can't think of what else to call them.

wisewoman Sun 20-Jan-13 16:33:29

|When you are a mum they will always be boys to you.

Butty Sun 20-Jan-13 16:34:11

I really dislike it when little girls are called 'Princess'...........as in "How's my little princess then?".

Ana Sun 20-Jan-13 16:38:21

Oh, YES Butty! And it's even worse when they're older...

janeainsworth Sun 20-Jan-13 16:48:00

That's interesting anno

annodomini Sun 20-Jan-13 16:51:49

At St Andrews student landladies were known as 'bunkwives'. The accommodation was a 'bunk'

janeainsworth Sun 20-Jan-13 17:37:59

Deviating slightly from the OP, a couple of years ago we had a short holiday in Western Scotland and had some Cullen Skink in a pub.
When we got home I was raving about this delicious soup made with potatoes and smoked haddock, to a Danish friend who told me that 'skink' means a similar thing in Danish.

annodomini Sun 20-Jan-13 17:45:10

There's a lot of Viking influence in Scottish dialects. Cullen skink is one of my favourites - had a lovely bowl of it in Tobermory last time I was there.

harrigran Sun 20-Jan-13 23:22:34

Man is used quite a lot in NE even GC use it in exasperation ' aw man, now look what you've done' Somebody being rough would be told 'ow man, gan canny' Somebody stepping out of line may be told 'watch it bonny lad'. Bonny lass was used too. It was common in my childhood to be called hinny or more likely 'what fettle hinny ?'

absent Mon 21-Jan-13 07:42:47

harrigran Someone addressed me as bonny lass shortly after I moved to the North-east and while I am only too well aware of its inaccuracy, I still find it utterly charming.

Now the expression "the little woman" has completely different connotations and I can't help thinking that any man who refers to his wife in that way deserves a good slap. grin

soop Mon 21-Jan-13 11:28:21

Couldn't agree more, absent grin

Marelli Mon 21-Jan-13 11:35:07

Mine could never refer to me as 'the little woman' as I'm about 2" (at least) taller than him. He wouldn't dare anyway - even if I was 10" shorter wink!

soop Mon 21-Jan-13 12:34:50

You minx, Twinkle Toes smile

Marelli Mon 21-Jan-13 12:50:23

soop grinwink!!

soop Mon 21-Jan-13 13:08:05

A bit of a diversion...Mr soop's GP has just phoned to say that the throat swab [he has tonsilitis] also shows growth of chlamydia. Poor love, he's been having a rough time recently. I noticed slight grazes on both his elbows which are due to kneeling during the night [to ease breathing] and resting his elbows on the chair...
"Wet snow" falling but not settling.
Rory on a wee walkabout. We're taking it in turns to shout for him to come home. hmm Paper towel ready for his rub-down. He's bound to be soaked.
Diversion over!

glassortwo Mon 21-Jan-13 13:13:22

We are snowed in not moved all day smile love to MrS flowers