Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Headstone cleaning

(27 Posts)
Anne58 Fri 01-Mar-13 18:29:28

Hello all,

As some may know, I have been helping with a friend of ours who had a stroke just before Christmas (I refuse to use the term "stroke victim") and we have been going out for walks to various places with him and 3 lovely dogs!

On a recent walk we stopped by at the cemetery where my much loved step father is buried, and where we had my son Jacks ashes buried at the foot of my step fathers grave. I was testing the ground to see if I could plant a pot of in bud narcissus and perhaps some snowdrops.

The gravestone (which was lifted and re-engraved to include Jack) lies flat, rather than the upright ones. I thought it could do with a bit of a scrub, but am not sure what might be best to use.

Do you think that perhaps I should try something mild to begin with, perhaps going there with a bucket of water with some washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush?

Thank you in advance.

Nelliemoser Sun 03-Mar-13 16:37:03

phoenix

Never touch anything precious with stone cleaner, these are often acid based. I would not even use a scrubbing brush. Just try a soft cloth and mild detergent. Granite itself is very tough but any inscriptions could suffer.

Many such ornamental materials that are described as "granites" are generally other "igneous rocks" as in much of the stuff sold for kitchen work surfaces. This group of rock types contain a range of different minerals in different proportions. Some of these have a lot of calcium based minerals which could be damaged. Don't bring stone cleaner anywhere near any limestone or marble. Even Sandstones can contain a lot of shell debris. These carbonate materials are easily damaged by any stone cleaner.

I would not touch any gold inscriptions with a tooth brush, just lightly brush dust off with a soft paint brush. It is probably fairly thin pressed on gold leaf.

Many old head stones seem to be made of very poor stone which peel away in layers and cleaning of old stone in likely to leave damage. I think lichens eventually damage stone monuments as they get nutrients out of the stones themselves but that takes a very long time and maybe a natural process that should not be prevented.