Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Green Coffee Beans for weight loss

(34 Posts)
Jadey Wed 06-Mar-13 12:05:15

I received an email about Un roasted Green Coffe Beans, which is a weight loss aid, stating that a trusted Doctor in America called Dr OZ, that has his own TV Show, has given it the thumbs up and claims that it does work by making your metabilism work more effeciently.

(I have watched Dr Oz before on TV and he does seem quite good)

No need to diet or exercise and an allowance of 2400 calories per day.

Does anyone know anything about this at all.

Sbagran Fri 08-Mar-13 20:14:23

Jadeyif you would like support why not look at and join the weekly weigh-in thread that Glassortwo runs every week. Look in the Diet forum and click on the weigh-in for Monday 4th March and you will see the comments from fellow losers! We all praise each other when successes are reported and console and support each other when we have bad weeks.
Have a look, then have a think, and then come and join us - you will be made very welcome!

feetlebaum Sun 05-May-13 11:28:58

Another word on Green Coffee, from Steven Novella, MD:

"Dr. Oz recently jumped on the coffee pseudoscience bandwagon by recommending green coffee beans for weight loss. Oz describes this as a “miracle pill” and offers some anecdotal evidence as justification. There is some published evidence on green (unroasted) coffee beans and weight loss, but of such terrible quality that it is completely unreliable. The study is small, poorly blinded, and was not registered with clinicaltrials.gov. In any case, the results, although touted as positive, are not convincing because they do not show a dose response relationship. During the study people lost weight, but it did not appear to have any relationship to when and what dose they were taking of green coffee beans." (from James Randi Educational Foundation website)

JessM Sun 05-May-13 11:52:59

As in you tell people they are in a trial of some wonderful weight loss pill and they lose weight. Whatever you give them. Power of suggestion.

Greatnan Mon 06-May-13 07:51:21

Even better than pedalling away on a static exercise bag is getting out into the daylight and walking. I walk every day, even grey and overcast days, as long as it is not actually raining hard or snowing hard.
I don't take any supplements, just have a varied diet , eating all the four main food groups. I have never dieted, but I do eat small portions and if I want something between meals I eat a few almonds and raisins, or a piece of fruit. Since I started serious walking, I have lost two stone and about 5" off my waist and hips, dropping from size 18 trousers to 14.
Even if you live in an inner city, there is usually a park where you can walk and enjoy the different seasons.

kevinmoore Fri 18-Apr-14 20:31:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Soutra Fri 18-Apr-14 21:33:41

And there's one born every minute.
Reported BTW!!

feetlebaum Fri 18-Apr-14 21:44:15

Dr Oz is known for boosting quackery on TV... He is a neuro-surgeon, so this is well outside his field .

Deedaa Fri 18-Apr-14 23:27:43

Bad Science was recommended to me by DD who is a pretty successful scientist herself (Wears a white coat and everything!) Definitely worth a read.

The only sensible use for green coffee beans is roasting them and making coffee!