Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How are you feeling today

(124 Posts)
Jadey Thu 07-Mar-13 13:56:16

Happy, quite settled and just a little stressed due to family demands.

Anne58 Fri 08-Mar-13 17:16:27

Hugs, flowers and cake to all in need.

I was reduced to tears in the Job Centre today.

Ella46 Fri 08-Mar-13 17:20:44

Ga, Bags flowers
Phoenix ((((hugs))))
What happened P to upset you?

Anne58 Fri 08-Mar-13 17:30:01

Oh Ella I realise that they are "only doing their job" but I do object to being patronised and treated as if I'm not taking every step possible to get a job.

Ella46 Fri 08-Mar-13 17:40:21

I don't know where they find the staff for these places, they must pay the minimum wage.
They seem to go out of their way to be unhelpful quite often.

flowers wine

Marelli Fri 08-Mar-13 17:49:52

Ga flowers, have you been back to see the doctor about your cough? It must be so debilitating. And Bags here are flowers for you as well. You must be feeling pretty low. Both of you need to see the doctor!
phoenix, I can understand how you might be feeling about those at the Job Centre. My son was unemployed for many, many months and was doing as much as he possibly could to find work. The first time this happened, he was more or less bullied by the staff member who was allocated to him. A couple of times his money was held back, which affected his Housing Benefit. He didn't feel he could do anything about how he was treated by that member of staff in case it made things worse. Eventually he found work again for a few months, before being laid off again. However this time, the person allocated to him was supportive. He's been in work again for a good while, though this could change at any time, as he works in the construction industry.
You've been trying so, so hard. Don't Let the b.....ds grind you down flowers.

Jadey Fri 08-Mar-13 18:27:19

grannyactivist sounds like you have a loving husband, just think how horrible things would be without him, a cough is a cough and hopefully will soon be gone, you should get checked out from the Doctor if it keeps coming back just to rule out the need for medication etc.

Get better soon sunshine just for you

Jadey Fri 08-Mar-13 18:32:05

phoenix you are absolutley right they can be ###

If they are rude to you give it back and report any behaviour that you are not happy with.

When my niece had to go to the jobcentre she said they were patronising, my sister complained about that particular person that wasnt very nice to my niece and my niece got to see someone different the next time she went.

grannyactivist Fri 08-Mar-13 18:41:37

I've had medication for the original infection each time, but the cough is what my GP describes as a 'post-viral' cough and each time I've had it it's lasted for eight weeks or more. I do all the right things, cover my nose and mouth so that I'm not breathing cold air, take cough suppressants, suck lozenges etc., but the blasted thing persists. And yes, I do count the Wonderful Man as my greatest blessing and I know that there are many worse things things, but when I awake several times every night coughing myself sick I do feel more than a little woebegone! [poor me emoticon]
Bags fibromyalgia is horribly painful (I have polymalgia and the pain is described as being very similar) so yes, do get yourself off to the GP and get your pain meds sorted. There is no need, in this day and age, for people to suffer unnecessary pain. (((hugs))) and flowers my friend.

Jadey Fri 08-Mar-13 18:48:26

grannyactivist you could ask your Doc to do further test, 8 weeks is a long time to have a cough and they love the word virus, basically virus in Doctor language means I havent got a clue, it is worth going down that route, My Mum was told she just had an infection and it was much worse, so please have it checked out.

When I am feeling down, as you were, I sometimes need someone to be a bit ,Oh get on with it dear, so I applied that thinking to you because I care and not to be an idiot.

Get better soon smile

annodomini Fri 08-Mar-13 19:00:15

Bags, I saw your quilt on FB. What a lucky little boy your grandson is. It's beautiful work. Be kind to yourselves, both of you, Bags and GA. flowers flowers

johanna Fri 08-Mar-13 19:59:04

ga,
Maybe stop taking cough suppressants. Take something that will help you expectorate. ( right word ? )
Apple cider vinegar or raspberry vinegar ; a tablespoon three times a day in a little water with honey might help you.
You are not alone, people round here have been coughing since Christmas.
Good luck.
And.. I have heard that DRAMBUIE is very good for a bad chest!!

Gally Fri 08-Mar-13 20:07:56

DD3 has been coughing since October. She is awaiting results of blood tests for probable whooping cough strain shock. Told it could also be the 100 day cough (sounds a bit medieval to me!) in which case she will 'just have to put up with it'.
Feel better soon everyone flowers

wisewoman Fri 08-Mar-13 20:12:11

GA you are such a positive person and always supportive of everyone else. Sorry to hear you are feeling low. Coughing and no sleep are an awful combination and you must be really tired. Sending you flowers and lots of healing golden thoughts.

bookdreamer Fri 08-Mar-13 20:49:28

grannyactivist. No idea if this has been mentioned before but have you been started on any blood pressure medication or had it changed over the last few months?

whenim64 Fri 08-Mar-13 20:53:56

ga I had a post-viral cough for a few weeks and used pholcodeine linctus to suppress it at night, but all that did was give me a dry cough that I couldn't get any relief from. My ribs ached and I was exhausted. I stopped taking it and used Manuka honey 15+ with fresh lemon juice and occasionally a splash of whisky. Result! It went within the week. I hope yours goes quickly smile

Galen Fri 08-Mar-13 21:13:51

X-ray to check!

harrigran Fri 08-Mar-13 22:48:43

ga flowers You have my sympathy, I have just got rid of the cough and now DH has it.
Bags flowers for you too.

grannyactivist Fri 08-Mar-13 23:49:21

Thanks for good wishes and advice all.
bookdreamer I've had no changes in my medication for several years.
Galen In the past I have had X-rays, antibiotics and steroids.
This particular cough followed on from an infection, caught from my grandson who came to stay when he wasn't well a couple of weeks back. By the time he left I was sharing his symptoms of swollen glands, sore throat, earache and sinusitis. All these symptoms have now gone, but I have been left with this horrendous cough. Those of you who have been on GN long enough will remember that this is the third time in the last twelve months that this pattern has been repeated. My GP is very thorough and is keeping a close eye on me. One suggestion is that the first coughing bout I had last year was whooping cough and that because of my poor health due to other medical problems I am still in the convalescent stage (which apparently can last for many months); the symptoms have generally subsided, but subsequent respiratory infections, are causing a recurrence of the coughing spasms.
I think it's as plausible a theory as any other, but I'm past caring what causes it - I JUST WANT THE COUGH TO GO.
When I've tried most other things so tomorrow I'm off to the health food shop for Manuka honey. Lemons I always have in, but is it okay to substitute brandy for whisky do you think? I have some brandy in the larder (purely for medicinal purposes you understand). wink

janeainsworth Fri 08-Mar-13 23:54:09

Bags and Ga flowers and sympathy.

I'm feeling happy tonight, just come back from visiting old friends in London and my sister in Cornwall. Had a lovely time with everyone.

Butty Sat 09-Mar-13 08:57:47

ga and B - Hope you are both feeling better this morning. sunshine

Bags Sat 09-Mar-13 09:16:41

Thank you, yes, just back to 'normal' pain levels this morning confused. Seeing doc on Tuesday. I'm usually a coper but the alert was me checking maxiumum doses of every painkiller in the house and trying to work out what rich cocktail I could take without killing myself! Internal messenger banged on my skull from the inside and said "You need help with this!" shock

kittylester Sat 09-Mar-13 11:33:28

Bags and Ga hope you are both doing much better today. flowers

soop Sat 09-Mar-13 11:51:37

DearBags and GA I'm sending you both a cyber hug. Be gentle with yourselves. You know it makes sense...

phoenix flowers

Yesterday, came home from Tesco shop to find a message on the answer machine. Returned the call to Mr Anderson's secretary at the Glasgow hospital. An April appointment has been made for me to see a gynaecologist. The colo-rectal and gynae surgeons will liaise and work together surgically repairing my cystocele and bowel prolapse. This means that I shall need to return for yet another pre-op assessment before having surgery in June? All hopes of saying farewell to absent have evaporated. However, once I'm mended and recovered I shall demand a Glasgow gathering. x

glassortwo Sat 09-Mar-13 12:22:14

soop its shame you cant come but best get it all sorted then have a knees up. smile
bags hope your feeling better today flowers
grannya your symptoms are very like the ones I have had this last week, the cough has me sore you would think I had been in a fight, well I got up this morning after another sleepless night and DD insisted I went around to the Drs, just got back with anti biotics and inhalers its bronchitus, so dont leave it get your self back and get it sorted. flowers

soop Sat 09-Mar-13 12:32:40

glass I hope that you begin to feel better very soon. smile