Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What the worse thing you ever lost

(41 Posts)
cathy Mon 29-Apr-13 00:18:19

My wedding video, my DH was clearing out a cluttered cupboard we had and gave all our videos to a charity shop not realising our wedding video was among them!! I did not realise til some time after, for years I was upset about it but I have let it go now.

Flowerofthewest Tue 30-Apr-13 11:08:41

my marbles! sorry but so obvious. smile

kittylester Tue 30-Apr-13 10:51:26

I think I've posted this before on another thread, so apologies if I'm repeating myself.

When DH's lovely father died we set about emptying his home and, as we had moved close to help him, we expected to do the majority of the work. We then started getting messages from two of DH's brothers asking us to save this or that for them. Having (willingly) done loads for FiL this was the giddy limit so DH told them they had better come and do something to help. Both brothers arrived and, after a couple of hours rounding up things that they wanted, announced they had to go. DH blew his top and told them to take some bags of rubbish to the tip on the way home - which they did.

A couple of weeks later everyone came to our house for a big share out of the family photos and we opened the carefully preserved bag of photos only to discover that it was full of rubbish and should, obviously have gone to the tip. We can only imagine that the big bag of photos was taken to the tip by one of his brothers on the one day they came to help. sad

Flowerofthewest Tue 30-Apr-13 10:40:45

Ella, the dingy was sailing out from Weymouth on an outgoing tide. The twit ran into the water to swim out but ran back again to leave his watch on the beach (all told by my 12 and 13 year olds who watched the whole sorry scene. Not the brightest knife in the drawer.

Grannyeggs Tue 30-Apr-13 10:30:52

I also lost my knitted doll, Effie, my brother threw her out of the car window and my Mother refused to go back. I was 5 or 6 years old and she was my friend and constant companion, nothing ever replaced her and I can't help wondering if ome of the negative feelings I have about my brother started there.hmm

Galen Tue 30-Apr-13 09:56:49

A pair of lapis and gold earrings that match my necklace. I can't find them anywhere?

absent Tue 30-Apr-13 09:38:19

My memory for several days.

annodomini Tue 30-Apr-13 09:30:50

I'd parked on one of the lower levels of the Victoria Centre in Nottingham. As I manhandled DS2's pushchair out of the lift, I thought DS1
(2 1/2)was close behind me. Not close enough. As I turned round to get him out, the lift door slid shut and no matter how hard I leant on the button, it went on up. Was I frantic? I had to wait until it came back down. DS wasn't in it. I took it back up to the top and went to an information kiosk and miraculously, he had just been delivered to another kiosk, having been able to tell them his name. I was just about to be 'tannoyed'. Those were the worst few moments of my life.

Ella46 Tue 30-Apr-13 08:41:39

Flower shock

Flowerofthewest Mon 29-Apr-13 22:56:06

My ex husband 'lost' my two youngest children in a rubber dingy which was tied to his big toe while he slept. He woke to find them way out to sea as the knot has come untied. Luckily a passing motor boat saved them. Idiot. Wonder why he is an ex!!!!! they were aged 3 and 6

Tegan Mon 29-Apr-13 21:13:43

A very old photograph of a beautiful Edwardian [I think] lady. Given to me because I always treasure and take care of our family photos, but I was quite young at the time and it travelled with me from bedsits to student accommodation and then disappeared. I still have loads of stuff from that part of my life but what happened to that photo is a mystery. And a very ugly ring that I left in a loo one day and it was gone when I rushed back. I've been looking for a similar one ever since.

susieb755 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:56:59

I lost the victorian amethyst earring my Granny gave me when I was 7 and she had my ears pierced against my parents wishes, stupidly I let my 6 year old daughter wear them at my brothers wedding, but they annoyed her, so I wrapped them in a tissue in my bag........and you can guess what happened later when sorting my bag out with a few glasses of champagne in me.

I left my baby in the co-op once, but thankfully met my neighbour Lil on the way home who asked me who was babysitting ! Luckily he was still there, fast asleep for once !

dallas Mon 29-Apr-13 20:33:45

My Husband and my Mum, everything else is just stuff

numberplease Mon 29-Apr-13 15:23:00

My father was in the RAF in WW2, and was killed 6 months before I was born. My mother remarried when I was 3. When I was married and with baby number 1, she gave me her first engagement ring, but hubby wouldn`t let me wear it, so I kept it wrapped in tissue paper, in a drawer upstairs. One day, I went to get it to have another look at it, and it was gone, never saw it again. We think it was one of the kids, they were only small at the time, but my mother never did forgive me for losing it.

cathy Mon 29-Apr-13 15:22:00

Was speaking to my sister about this thread and she told me a story about our Nan, if its ok to tell it...Apparently our Nan had a row with my Granddad and threw her wedding ring at him, they were in the yard at the time and she could not find the ring anywhere, however she did find it 24 years later in the banana plant!!!

FlicketyB Mon 29-Apr-13 15:20:40

I was 14 when my beloved maternal grandmother died. I was allowed to choose things of hers which I wanted. The things I chose included her dressing table set, a statue and a beautiful book given to her as a Sunday School prize.

All these had to go into store for three years when my father was posted to Germany. When we returned home and Pickfords delivered all the furniture and effects from storage they were not there. Some years later all the little trinkets of jewellery she gave me as a teenager were stolen.

ninathenana Mon 29-Apr-13 15:06:42

When I was about 9 I lost my Cinderella watch on the beach whilst swimming. It wasn't so much the watch that bothered me. It was telling mum !

More importantly I had my jewellery box stollen in a burglary. Which contained my dad's wedding ring and a locket I received when I was bridesmaid for my older sister. The box it's self was the first present DH ever bought me
sad

cathy Mon 29-Apr-13 14:53:47

I think I have learnt from this post that it DOES happen and not just to me and I should get over itsmile thank you

cathy Mon 29-Apr-13 14:52:17

good advise Bags Greatnan oh the earings your daughter bought with her first wage packet, If I had a daughter that lovely that would buy ME something with her first wage packet I would be a very happy mesmile You are a very lucky lady, but then you put the work in so you more than deserve it.

Hunt Mon 29-Apr-13 12:36:46

The family allowance which I left in a telephone box. 50 years ago but I still recall the ''sinking stomach'' feeling when I realised what I had done.

Greatnan Mon 29-Apr-13 12:01:08

That is very sad, Grannyeggs. Thank goodness for digital cameras - all my photos are now stored for me by Picasa.

Zengran Mon 29-Apr-13 11:23:55

Grannyeggs sad

Grannyeggs Mon 29-Apr-13 11:22:42

All the family photos of the children, in a flood. You never get that back, all the negatives were with them.

tanith Mon 29-Apr-13 10:54:57

I borrowed a video taken at my Mums 80th birthday from my sister and although I was sure I gave it back its not been seen since, both sisters and brother blame me I'm sure, as it was the only video of our Mum and she died less than a year later... I was very sad but to this day I still think I gave it back but its never been found.

Flowerofthewest Mon 29-Apr-13 10:31:35

I was 19 and went into Cambridge to purchase a going away outfit for my wedding day. I couldn't find anything so went to a phone box to phone the dressmaker who was making my wedding dress if she could run up something else. She said sorry but no, didn't have the time. I was so disappointed that I left my purse with £200 in the phone box. Realised a little while later and, of course, it was gone. I dreaded going home to my parents who had given me the money (they were not well off) Mum was cross and said 'I hope they broke their leg running away' ???? Dad said - Don't worry, its only money, we will give you some more.' Bless him.

The purse was special too as dad had brought it back from one of his business trips.

Oh and I lost my wedding ring from DH no2 (present) 5 years later my DDS no3 fount it under a bush in the garden. I remembered that the day I had lost it I had been scrabbling around trying to catch our rabbit. THAT was a happy ending.

Elegran Mon 29-Apr-13 09:30:11

A little pendant that ny grandmother gave me when I was in my early teens. It had belonged to her mother. Not much financial value, just sentimental.

Going out some ten years later, I was in two minds about whether to wear that or a fresh flower. I decided to make up my mind in the car, and put the pendant in a handbag in the glove compartment and the flower on top of it. We stopped off on the way for a quick drink, came back and found the quarterlight window forced, the bag gone and the flower discarded on the floor. Yes, I know I should not have left the handbag, but this was a spur-of-the-moment decision and I forgot it was there.