Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should the age of consent be lowered to 13?

(55 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 09-May-13 16:22:19

Lowered to 13 to 'stop the persecution of old men', that is.

I can only hope that this female lawyer has been misquoted.

Continual and systematic abuse of teenage girls is not 'low-level misdemeanors'.

Even today, 13 is still young.

age of consent

worlie Sat 15-Jun-13 12:58:02

where on eartH did the question come from regarding lowering age of consent to 13, UNBELIEVABLE,

j08 Sat 15-Jun-13 13:29:23

This is just a silly thread with no base and no point to it. No one of any importance suggested it. Thread should be allowed to die.

petallus Sat 15-Jun-13 15:56:03

I am surprised to discover age of consent in Spain is 13 but about to be raised to 16. I think in Germany it is 14.

TwiceAsNice Sat 15-Jun-13 17:18:46

Sex under 16 is technically statutory rape however if it is between two consenting teenagers the same age generally does not get prosecuted it is different of course if the girl is coerced.

TOTALLY different if the girl is underage and the man is an older man then the responsibility is totally on him, he should walk away and can and should end up on the sex offenders register for such behaviour.

I know the age is lower in some other countries but teenagers are not emotionally ready for sex at such a young age and they are also much more at risk of cervical cancer if they have early sex, and we are not talking about other countries but our own culture. I work with adolescents and they are under huge pressure to have sex before they are ready and are often groomed on line by such men. We should do all we can to discourage them they are a blight on society and ruin lives.