Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Piercings, am I old fashioned?

(39 Posts)
Oldgreymare Tue 21-May-13 22:14:34

Thanks Jess, loved your suggestions. First time I've laughed about the situation!
I did tell him of a 'character' my sister saw in Barcelona, he was stark naked except for a piercing thro' his penis to which he'd attached a chain and weight, with the obvious effect on his penis! hmm

susieb755 Tue 21-May-13 22:14:33

Tell him its a great idea, and you'l get one at the same time..... worked for me when DD wanted the belly button done at 13 !

JessM Tue 21-May-13 14:15:22

I think he is just trying to shock his Nan - because he's not seriously consulting his Nan on this one, is he?
You could:
Be glad it is not one of those horrible earlobe plugs? Or his tongue?
Be glad it is not an enormous, visible tattoo being planned?
Suggest "maybe something more discrete darling", such as nipple, belly button and foreskin? (the out shock 'em approach)
Say you're thinking of having your nostril done and can you come along at the same time?
Remind yourself that most young people who have piercings get bored with them and take them out after a bit.
Send him some medical photos of piercings that have gone horribly wrong.

Suspect age guidelines apply to tattoos but maybe not piercings - it would have to cover ear lobes after all.
But that does not necessarily stop the DIY approach.

4foottop Tue 21-May-13 13:42:15

I think its the done thing with young people today I let on I never noticed it (his eyebrow) he finished up telling me so I just said that's nice and talked about something else you cant stop them I just hope he grows out of it soon.

goldengirl Tue 21-May-13 13:35:49

My son had his ears pierced without my knowledge but the fad didn't last and the holes healed over. I remember one of his girlfriends had her tongue pierced and me being me told her it was horrid! We did remain friends surprisingly for a while even after she and DS broker up! I think I would be more concerned if the piercings were in more - shall we say - tender parts of the anatomy hmm

HappyNanna Tue 21-May-13 09:24:23

Are we talking 3 ear piercings or other parts of the body? Surely he won't be allowed to wear them at school? Are you sure he wasn't teasing you, knowing you'd be shocked?

celebgran Tue 21-May-13 09:12:58

Best go with the flow old grey as you won't really have choice!

Oldgreymare Tue 21-May-13 08:53:39

Thanks... and thank goodness they can disappear with time! He knows how I feel about them, have texted him saying:
'I love you just the way you are!'
I know he'll see the funny side and now I shall attempt to forget all about it, after all he may change his mind!

celebgran Tue 21-May-13 08:45:45

I wince when see lip piercing!
Does seem to have faded out bit thankfully.

My estranged daughter had tummy button one which as she was slim then looked good not so good on older ladies!

Aka Tue 21-May-13 07:46:56

Back to the OP. Yes, you are being old fashioned. Youth will always want to experiment. Tut tut if you must, but then leave it alone.

Grannyknot Tue 21-May-13 07:16:49

Piercings may be easily removed, but one of my "entertain yourself whilst watching telly" activities is "spot the eyebrow piercing scar" - especially when the actor is dressed in period costume (many of the actors have them!)

I also don't know whether there is much you can do about it, but nothing wrong with gently (as you say) expressing your displeasure or dismay or disappointment - my gran did that to me often enough when I showed up in a too-short skirt in the sixties smile. I had one home-made dress that I couldn't bend down in without showing my knickers blush. Couldn't let the hem down either because there wasn't enough fabric!

I really thought the fashion for piercings had run its course ...

annodomini Tue 21-May-13 00:07:32

I don't think it's legal to have piercings at that age without parental consent. Not that that stopped my DS1 having his ears done - he always looked older than he was! As GA says, piercings do disappear when they get bored with them.

grannyactivist Mon 20-May-13 23:41:36

Try not to worry too much about it as, unlike tattoos, piercings can easily be removed. I don't like them either, but there are worse things he could be doing.

Oldgreymare Mon 20-May-13 23:18:22

GS phoned for a chat.
Item 2: He's thinking of getting not 1, not 2 but THREE piercings.
I am horrified and 'gently' tried to talk him out of it! (he's 14)
Advice please. shock