Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Parent and grandparent?

(6 Posts)
hokeypokey Tue 28-May-13 09:56:43

I have a daughter of five and I am about to have my first grandchild (had first DD in my late teens - have since remarried).
Does anyone else have a youngish child and a grandchild? My daughter is keen for me to help with childcare. I don't mind but I wonder if I will feel differently (maybe indulge my grandchild more?! Maybe feel I don't have as much right to direct GC's behaviour as number two DD's?) Will the children feel odd, being brought up a bit like siblings? Does anyone have any advice about how to make this work?

mollie Tue 28-May-13 10:53:59

Congratulations hokeypokey. I don't think it's that unusual to have the generations so close or even overlapping so there must be lots of people who can offer advice. I know of one family who had a second family (same parents - no remarriages) after their eldest children made them grandparents so the aunties were younger than the neices! And my own OH is only about five years older than his eldest neice and it sounds like they had a great time as kids!

whenim64 Tue 28-May-13 11:33:01

My grandmother had my uncle two years before I was born. As we lived with my grandparents for the first two years of my life, we were treated like brother and sister, with both mum and grandmother sharing the care, whilst my dad and grandfather were out at work. I had four older aunties and uncles who were at school, and mum would take them to and fro to help out.

We all knew who our mums and dads were, but were very close, and that continued into later life. It's only when other people receive an explanation of who is which person's child that you are reminded, unless there is a clash about how children are brought up.

seasider Tue 28-May-13 17:37:16

Hi Hokey. don't worry it works fine! I have two children in their thirties and and a son of 11. My DD's children are 9 and 4 and DS has a son aged 4. It all works very well for us. I often have DGS to stay as DD and SIL have a business and she reciprocates by having her brother to stay if we want to go out or have a weekend away. Our house is obviously very child friendly and they treat it as their second home. We often do child friendly activities with DS and DD and our boys who are all very close. Though I will reprimand DGS if neccessary I am probably more strict with DS as I feel it is the parent's reponsibility to bring up their boys as they wish. I think DGS do view DS almost as an older brother and he in turn is very close to his older siblings. smile

MrsJamJam Tue 28-May-13 18:19:25

I was 16 when my youngest brother was born and he was just 6 when my first son was born. They are all now in their 40s and I am sure he has much more of a sibling relationship with my boys than he does with me. So generational imbalance is nothing new.

amandaward2 Thu 29-Aug-13 15:08:36

I am a grandma
My son has recently had problems seeing his daughter and to cut a long story short I'm in a mess as my granddaughter lives within 2 mins walking distance from my house and its killing me knowing we cant see her until it has gone through the courts.
Today my sons ex will have received a letter from the solicitors stating if contact is not permitted court action will be taken.
I cant cope please help!!!!